Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did my clutch a week ago but I've been looking at my clutch plates and can't find anything wrong with them.

Now, I haven't measured them but they look OK. In contrast, my springs were a bit shorter than the barnett springs I bought.

Is it possible my clutch was only slipping because the springs were worn?

·
www.1seven1.com
2,063 Posts
The Barnett springs are different than the stock ones, for sure. I actually like the Barnett plates with the stock springs best.

I'd suspect your clutch was slipping due to an adjustment problem and you fixed that when you installed your new clutch.

-D

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
You replaced a perfectly good clutch that you could have just adjusted..... :laugh

·
crashing aint so bad
2,271 Posts
It can happen. I had a stocker do that a year ago. The frictions and the plates all looked great. The springs just let loose.

It no surprise though. The springs are designed to put a certain amount of pressure on the pressure plate with a specific amount of clutch stack height. There are 6 some odd frictions in there that as they wear will reduce in width substantially over time. This loss in stack height is probably enough that the springs cannot produce enough pressure to hold them. This is especially true if the springs are old and become worn themselves.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts