Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading in the "drop a tooth" section, and noticed that someone said something about clutching it up in second. The R6, in stock form is capable of doing a second gear stand-up wheelie, with no clutch. The question is, "is the rider capable of doing a second gear stand-up wheelie with no clutch?".
My boyfriend (sorry to sound so dumb, but bear with me) has a GSXR1000, and he does 1st, 2nd, 3rd, & 4th gear wheelies with no clutch. He hasn't dropped a tooth, just put on exhaust & PCIIIr. Anyway, in our opinion, clutching up a wheelie is a bad thing. He might clutch up a wheelie in 5th, but that is about it. Wheelie worthy rev's in 5th gear are around 150-160mph, so there really isn't any need to do it in 5th anyway, when 4th works just fine.
There is a trick to doing wheelies without the clutch, but it isn't hard. Clutchless wheelies are more controllable, and there shouldn't be any surprise as to how fast the front is going to come up. If you are doing a highway wheelie, you don't want it to come up fast anyway, watching them come up slow and climbing to the 12 o'clock position, and staying there for a mile or so is pretty cool.
Honestly, there is no reason to clutch up a wheelie, unless you are on a ninja 250, or something like that. Todays sportbikes are capable of doing them without, and that is before dropping teeth. We did drop a tooth on my bike though, to compensate for the center of gravity being so low after being lowered 3". The bike just wouldn't do a wheelie AFTER being lowered, but that all came back after we dropped a tooth. Now, second gear stand-ups are more than possible with no clutch.
Of course, this is just our opinion, and everyone has one. :moon

Char

·
Registered
308 Posts
wow char :!: How do you bring it up in 2nd? I can bearly get the tire off in first, so in second gear i know theres plenty of speed and getaway power but it doesn't seem twitchy enought for 2nd gear, 3rd n 4th. Some instructions would be nice :mrgreen:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, the 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear wheelies are done on the GSXR1000, not my bike. 2nd gear is definitly possible though, I'll tell you how I do those....
Everyone should know where the 'sweet spot' is on their tach, right? If you are doing 1st gear wheelies, use around the same rpm for second, maybe a little higher. I can bring first up at around 6,000. 2nd, is around 8,000. When you get there in 2nd, stand up on your pegs (it can be scarey if you've never done it before, that's ok though, 'baby steps'), then you go wide open throttle for like...half a second- you are just blipping it so the weight comes off the front tire (this won't enduce a wheelie in itself), as soon as you blip it, chop off the throttle all the way- so that the front end now dives. Rebound will be pushing the front of the bike back up, and while it is on it's way up, you pull back with your arms (like you are popping a wheelie on a bicycle) and go wide open throttle again. The front end should come up.
Depending on how hard you pull, how fast you are with the on-off-on technique is going to determine how fast it comes up, and how high it comes up. Once it starts coming up high, you need to start letting off the throttle a little, or you might loop it!!!!!!!!!!!
This is why people that are good at wheelies can get on your bike after you say "My bike can't do second gear wheelies", and ride a second gear wheelie right by you while you are standing on the sidewalk with your jaw on the ground. (that's what my boyfriend did to me)
It's all about technique, and knowing your bike.
If anyone wants, I can post a topic on how to do this...

·
Registered
504 Posts
Hey, I'm up for all the info you can throw at us Miraclegrau... you're pretty informative, and a great addition to the site! Keep it coming, and I'll keep listening...

-Solace

·
Registered
66 Posts
Clutching wheelies also puts more wear on your clutch, chain and sprockets let the power of the bike to it for ya not the clutch.

·
Registered
20 Posts
That was a good explanation Miraclegrau. I couldn't have explained it any better myself.

I have actually gotten my R6 up in 3rd gear, it's harder and it takes a lot more bounce and revs but it can be done. Like Miracle said you have to know your bike and the sweet spot in the Revs. For third gear wheelies you need to get the RPM's up there start accelerating at least at 10K to 11K. Then use the same technique - closing the throttle then opening it wide to get a good spring off the pavement. Then as the front becomes light stand up and pull up as hard as you can. At this point you're going at around 85-90 MPH. By the time you put it down you'll probably be in the triple digits. I find for third gear wheelies it's all timing, you have to wait untill the front end starts coming up or even a millisecond later before you jump off the seat and pull up.

My only problem with 3rd gear wheelies is they are too fast for me. The wind really hits your chest and it's a crazy feeling being on one wheel at 100 MPH. I like sticking with the 65 to 80 MPH 2nd gear ones.

If you guys didn't see the pick from the other post, here is me doing a 2nd gear wheelie on the highway

·
Registered
283 Posts
Are these posts on 03 r6's. there's a big difference in 02-03. Injection rocks. I havent done 3rd's but seconds are sweet. Give people time to look at you going past em too. A 3rd at 160 kph without a full litre under you must be cool. Gonna have a go myself now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Cral42 said:
Are these posts on 03 r6's. there's a big difference in 02-03. Injection rocks. I havent done 3rd's but seconds are sweet. Give people time to look at you going past em too. A 3rd at 160 kph without a full litre under you must be cool. Gonna have a go myself now.
It's actually on a 2000 R6, no fuel injection. Sorry I probably should have said something from the beginning, the RPM's are probably different on an '02 or '03. Does anyone know the difference between the different years wheelie wise? I assume it's easier on a fuel injected R6, but I would like to know. Anyway if I can do 3rd gear wheelies on my 2000 it's got to be easier on a newer model.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have the 2003 R6 a slip on Indigo , powercommander with m4 map(havent made it to a tuning center yet) ,k&n filter and dropped a tooth in the front and miracle is totaly right about how to do em it comes up so easily the hard part is staying at the balance point I've gone a few blocks but havent hit my MILE goal yet Char your boyfriend is very lucky Ive found a few girls who like to ride on the back occasionally but none that belong to a forum and have their own bike keep up the good posts :hump :hump

·
Registered
20 Posts
miraclegrau said:
Have you dropped any teeth up front, or added any to the rear?
No missing or added teeth...The only performance mods done are a Micron slip on and a Scotts Stabalizer.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
yeah i want to do wheelies so bad i think its tight as hell to do em, i can only do little bullshit ones in first gear nothing big like i wanna do i wanna ride em longer and faster but i just seem to have a hard time doing so, i said the same thing about not being able to do wheelies on my bike and i let someone else ride it and they damn sure rode a beautiful wheelie, they said they clutched it, which i have been trying to do every now and then, it seems to work but i wish it was as easy to get up in second as it is in first. posts, instructions, anything to help us beginner stunters out would be greatly apprecated... i need to get a 04 r1 the wheelie machine :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
a) Don't clutch it up in first you will loop it eventually.

b) Once you figure out how to do it correctly, you won't want to do anything BUT clutch it up in second.

Get yourself moving at a steady speed and stabilize your bike. 45mph is a good spped to start with. Be in second gear, pull the throttle in fast, whack the throttle (give it a second to bring the rpms up to near the redline) pop out the clutch while the throttle is sitll open. If you time it right, your bike will go up FAST so be ready to let off the throttle right away.

Covering the rear brake doesn't hurt either (although I usually don't)

PS... R6 is a MUCH better stunt bike than the R1

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Jees, you got it right:
I guess, you'd have to master the technique more because the throttle doesn't have as much kick
Once you figure out how to do the tricks, your R6 IS the best bike for doing tricks

Stunters on liter bikes will disagree, but WHY?

Well an R1 or a Giggy 1 or a 954, what makes them better stunt bikes? You can whack the throttle in first second or third and it will come up. This means that any asshole that hops on one of these bikes can "pop a wheelie" so most people think that they are better stunt bikes.

The problem:
This is the least predictable way to do wheelies

Yes they are better stunt bikes for crappy stunters, but for those who take the time to really learn how to make their bike do what they want to , a 6 is superior (especially an R6 light, short wheelbase, plenty of power, oh yeah it looks really pimp too)

With a 6, you have the advantage of a less touchy throttle so if you have a wheelie up and you make a mistake or hit a bump in a road, you have a better chance to recover than you do on a liter bike. They are thinner so your center of gravity is more centrally located giving you more control - turning or changing lanes while wheelieing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
clutching up a wheelie?.....bad

first off! for all you saying clutching is bad and is easier to loop you are wrong! you obviously dont have enough experience to do it so u hate!...how will u ever do circle wheelies or tank spreaders special k's frogs...if u use no clutch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????i started out the same way oh id rather gas it but it is less precise and ive came close to looping it many times that way i have never once came close while clutching and i can scrape my tail....and also i ride an 04 r1...for u that say the r6 is better you are a joke...first off i know about 75-80 riders and every1 pretty much i know with a r6 or cbr600 can wheelie....but none can do wut us r1's or zx10s or gixxer 1000's can do!not only because of experience but because the bike too...now i am not saying u cant do that on a 600 because i can i started out on one too1...but no clutch u will never ever do what the r1 can do in second as opposed to ur 4th without a clucth! but there is no need to hate especially against fellow yami riders wut is wrong with u!?i can wheelie up to 4th without the clutch but after learning how to clutch without ****ing it up or breakin or chippin your baskets n stuff i will never do another again unless it starts to come up on its own i might say hey and keep it going....oh yea and u also loosen ALL OF THE BOLTS ON THE FRONT END FROM YANKING ON THE DAMN THING!...but i bet i can go frum 2 miles an hour and 12 o'clock my bike (no bar on it either) and scrape my tail...let me see you do that without a clutch!theres no need to knock any style of wheelie they are all the same and as for the r6 being a better stunt bike and looking hotter than the r1????...c'mon do not kid yourself or hate because you ride an inferior bike but thats ok! lol...u see i cant wait for all the hate mail lol...gets u goin huh...1 more thing..as for the "female" that thinks she knows everything...again you are a joke! i can do any stunt u ever seen in combo without touching down once on a stock sprocket...and i actually have the pm "gatlin" rims(heavy) on my bike stock exhaust and everything else...just because u ride and can pull ur front tire up does not mean u can wheelie!my girlfriend is the same she thinks she knows it all after she's been around it for a while but it doesnt work like that sweetie! until u can do a highchair on ur little r6 with no clutch watch what you say..or you will make yourself look like an ass as u have already done!

·
Registered
11 Posts
oh yea 1 more thing lol..if you think a "your" bike or a cetain bikes makes u a better rider than plain and simple....u suck! because a real good stunter can do it on pretty much anything1 there was a guy at the 06 stunt wars stuntin on a harley!!!!!!!!!!and i would bet my last dollar he could stunt better than every single one of you who said the r6 is better for stuntin!....put that in ur pipe and smoke it!

·
Custom User Title
1,827 Posts
i agree with clutch wheelies

it is WAY more predictable, you dont' have to stand up on your pegs and worry about weight shifting nearly as much.

clutch wheelies are harder to master but easier inthe long run, the bike comes up nice and smooth compared to bouncing it.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts