Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Ya wheelies is garbage!
5,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright i've read an assload of old threads on this, but i want opinions of only those who own a 03+ R6, it seems that they threads all get this yes it's ok and no it will mess things up response. But it seems all the No it will mess things up responses come from the owners of the 99-02 models which are known for 2nd gear problems. I just want to see what all the 03+ guys have to say for themselves about this. Cause i had a 99 never had a problem but didn't really clutchless shift, had a 99 600r also that i road the same but threw out second gear learning 1st gear wheelies trying to shift. Just trying to get some good feedback on the 1st to 2nd clutchless upshifts, like who does them frequently how many miles are on the bike and so worth. I'm not looking for just a "Yea it is ok!", i want to see who's been doing this with these year model bikes and for how long with no problems, just don't want to have to rebuild a tranny again!

edit: atleast not in the next year or two!

·
Atom Smasher
862 Posts
I always use the clutch going into second. Clutchless shifting just doesn't seem to be as smooth going into second as it does going into 3, 4, 5 & 6.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I'm not a tranny expert (wow, that could be taken out of context), but the clutch is there for a reason. I guess if the speeds matched the rpms of the next gear perfectly, you could shift without the clutch rather smoothly, but over time, you will grind your gears, destroy the clutch, etc.

You could always snag a quick shifter kit.

·
Registered
325 Posts
you can do clutchless upshifts on anything with a clutch (car or motorcycle). Upshifting won't hurt anything if you don't use the clutch. Downshifting is a bit more difficult because you have to match the rpm's which is hard on your model because of the lack of a slipper clutch. Going from 1st to 2nd is tough because you have N in the middle. I recommend using the clutch from 1st to 2nd, but after that it is your call.

·
rockin the '08
3,074 Posts
r6dirtydave said:
I'm not a tranny expert (wow, that could be taken out of context), but the clutch is there for a reason. I guess if the speeds matched the rpms of the next gear perfectly, you could shift without the clutch rather smoothly, but over time, you will grind your gears, destroy the clutch, etc.

You could always snag a quick shifter kit.
sounds like you do know a lot about trannys :D

seriously though..I agree with ^^ The clutch is there for a reason and I know a lot of people who don't use it but I for one do. I saw this cool demonstration of how a transmission works from the inside and I can see how clutchless shifting would wear down or break something over time.

·
Track Junkie
334 Posts
I use the clutch to shift up and down on the street. (Not R6) For track when I need to bang up the gears on straights clutch gets to rest a bit. If you shift right nothing will break, and GP shift pattern helps too.

·
Atom Smasher
862 Posts
If you do it right, you aren't going to damage your tranny. You can't even tell you have changed gears, it just slips into gear so smooth. The way a motorcycle transmission is built is a little different from a cars and makes clutchless shifting much easier to do and it is very easy on the tranny.

Read the following article from Sport Rider:
http://www.sportrider.com/ride/RSS/146_0409_sport_bike_clutchless_upshifting/

·
Ya wheelies is garbage!
5,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well i'm just curious cause i've been practicing all kinds of stuff to get my bike control back, the other day i was out down the street on this empty country road practicing some 1st gear power wheelies and i tried shifting into second towards the top of the gear and it shifted really smooth.

thanks for the article, i read a similar one lastnight. Good info though.

·
Zombies may bite!!!!
1,182 Posts
Yamaha is against it!
I've raced multiple bikes and have always used it sometimes even down shifting.

I read that Yamaha does not want anyone to shift their bikes without using the clutch but it's such a habit for me sometime I do it without even knowing.

I run gp style shifting also because it feels more comfortable since I've been using it so long.

Dynojet and some other companies make a engine kill system that cuts the bikes ignition for a split second before the shift is made. This is the safest way claims who ever but it's used for racing and if you can shell out the $200+ to get one I would recommend it.

However I have never had any problems with any of my bikes put over 50,000 miles on my f2 shifting and racing that way with no trans problems!
I did polish the trans gears on the f2 though, but it just makes it turn more smoothly I dont think it helps with shifting into gears without using the clutch.

:)

·
Track Junkie
334 Posts
Electronic shift systems are not SuperSport legal :) If you mount one up get ready to run in SuperBike.

·
Zombies may bite!!!!
1,182 Posts
Sorry I didnt know he was looking to race.

But Nex is right!

·
R6 Symbient Organism
414 Posts
Anyway, electronic kit for this is TOTALLY GAY.
Geez, if you can not master clutchless shifting in 1 day's practice, get the hell of an R6!
Go get a suzuki or kawasaki.

·
Zombies may bite!!!!
1,182 Posts
Nex said:
The way I see it is if it helps you shave that 0.002 sec off your lap, go for it!

I agree I just dont know what this guy is looking for, racing set up or just for ridding on the street.

·
Ya wheelies is garbage!
5,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
rchristian56 thanks man thats exactly what i was looking for in your first post someone with some mileage and no problems. This is just street driving, just i had a 99 and it got the second gear problem from clutchless upshifts as did my 99 600r, i was just wondering the likely hood of having to revist that problem again, which i would like to avoid. I sold the R6 when it happened cause i didn't have the money then to fix it, the 600r happened right before i bought the R6 and me and a friend did all the work. Just heard that the 03+ trannys are supposed to be better just wanted to get some feedback before i F***ed things up ya know.

·
Registered
14 Posts
heres a question,(not trying to jack your thread) how much time exactly will clutchless shifting take off your 1/4 mile time? like the difference between 11's and 10's?

i have yet to run my bike just wondering for when i do the first time

·
Track Junkie
334 Posts
you are not going to get 1 sec off your time by doing it. I don't drag... so maybe someone has a better number.

·
Hate the 405
928 Posts
it just takes less brain work, for some that have small brains, and cant hit the clutch and shift at the same time. Clutchless shift works best from 3rd -6th.. 1st -2nd is rough... Never downshifted w/o clutch...to match rpms with speed, just rev little then shift, w/o clutch.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts