Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
to ewhat i understand you can upshift without a clutch... my bike can do that too althought on some gears its kinda hard/wont go unless i use my clutch...

but what is freakin me out is that i can also downshift without a clutch?

is this a problem? is it a problem that its hard to upshift without the clutch sometimes??

by the way my clutch seems to be working fine, it grabs good when moving from a stop, and when neutral clutchin it rpms drop just fine.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
somehow i COULD lol i just came back from a ride thats why i am askin... wtf lol i got a special r6? maybe previous owner did some shifter mod? wat can it be?

·
Premium Member
18,783 Posts
If you have a slipper clutch you can downshift without pulling in the clutch. Unforetunately the 02 R6 doesn't have a slipper clutch.

·
My R6 has returned!!
1,930 Posts
You can indeed downshift without the clutch, it's just a really bad idea. But it's possible, with or without a slipper. In some gears you might have to stomp it but again, it's possible.
For upshifting, for first -> second you'll need the clutch and should use it. For 2 and up, you **shouldn't** have any problems if you're doing it right (are you preloading)?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I usually clutch shift 1 to 2, then clutchless from there up.

·
In Search Of...
91 Posts
I should've rephrased that you "shouldn't" downshift without the clutch... I've never done so, I always thought it was impossible... Guess not! LOL.

But upshifting from 1st to 2nd can be done, it's just not as smooth as the higher gears...

·
My R6 has returned!!
1,930 Posts
Man, I can see next week's thread "I clutchless downshifted because you said it was possible and my back wheel locked and now I have a totaled bike and a broken collar bone".

Going down clutchless is rough and just doesn't work out so well mechanically. Going from first to second is not as bad but similar, it'll be rough if you make it (could just end up in neutral) my suggestion is 100% clutch 1>>2. You're not gonna like the sound you get otherwise.

For a dying clutch - well, honestly, I don't know - I've never killed one *** knock on wood *** but I'd did once try to get a friend's bike home. We were riding together on the highway, he was on a 98 zx6r and it started backfiring, periodically and quickly losing then regaining power, to put it simply, if you've riden a bike with a fuel petcock for reserve fuel, it felt the same as running out of fuel but rougher. I gave him my bike and as the more experienced of the two, I rode his the 60km back home cause he didn't want to tow it. The bike felt like it was a clutch problem, well after a few kms we stopped cause there was no clutch play and I wanted to adjust it. That did the trick immediately, power flowed. When he got it to the mechanic, the plates needed to be replaced along with some super foul plugs (which I think were actually causing the backfire, which the plates were causing the sudden lack and regain of power). That's my one and only death-defying experience with seemingly failing clutch components. It was frightful, every time I went around a turn, and it did it's thing, I could feel the back wheel fishtailing.

[/treadjack]

·
Registered
298 Posts
Ok now this is weird. I can shift 1/2 very easily with out the clutch. But anything after that, it wont shift nomatter how hard you pull up on it. I have to use the clutch.

·
o_O
83 Posts
Ok now this is weird. I can shift 1/2 very easily with out the clutch. But anything after that, it wont shift nomatter how hard you pull up on it. I have to use the clutch.
do you let off the throttle right before you up shift? ive ridden doing clutchless up and down shifting with out grinding or anything, flick the throttle alittle before, almost the same time you click down, its just like rev matching in a car, once you get a hang of it, its really smooth. and with up shifting just back off the throttle real quick b4 you pull up

1 - 13 of 13 Posts