Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i was just wondering wat the deal was with clutchless upshifting. I used to do it in my car but then my mechanic said that i was ruining my synchros. I was just wondering if it was the same for bikes or if it is ok to do it on a bike

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
It will shorten the life of your gears, but it all depands on how you do it, and how often.
I see no advantage to clutchless shifting personally, as I can shift just as fast using the clutch, and I don't hose up my tranny.

·
Registered
267 Posts
yeah, its no good for the tranny, so i hear.........but it is fun to do. i like going from 2nd up while riding one handed, just cruising.
:flame

·
Registered
304 Posts
i dont think it is really as bad as everyone thinks. i never do it from 1st to 2nd but occasionally all the gears from there. i can do pretty smooth and i think if you have your technique down and it does make a clunk or jolt your bike....you are in no real danger hurting anything....so i hear....if i lose my gears........you guys will be the first to know

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
i dont think it is really as bad as everyone thinks. i never do it from 1st to 2nd but occasionally all the gears from there. i can do pretty smooth and i think if you have your technique down and it does make a clunk or jolt your bike....you are in no real danger hurting anything....so i hear....if i lose my gears........you guys will be the first to know
You're right, if you know how. As long as it's a smooth transition, it should be fine.
When you let off the throttle, put pressure upward on your shifter. It should sink right in. I wouldn't recommend doing it on a downshift though.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I just got taught clutchless upshifting at the California SuperBike School this past weekend, so my desciption of it may not be all that great.

But the sequence goes like this: throttle on, then roll off the throttle slightly (like a blip) - shift up - then roll back on the throttle. The key is to shift in that half a second where you're rolling off the throttle. The reasoning behind this is that when you're riding and you roll off the throttle, you're momentarily in a state where there's no power going to the engine, just like you were pulling in the clutch -- I'm not sure what that state is called. The instructor just explained it like that.

A couple of other points: You have to be quick with the whole sequence. So you can't just roll off the throttle from 12,000 rpm's and slowly shift up as the tachometer starts dropping, then roll back on the throttle. If you do this, the bike will jerk shifting up. You have to let off the throttle a little but not too little. It's hard to explain. I did it on a machine that told me if I was going too fast or too slow and if I wasn't rolling off the throttle as much or if I needed to roll off the throttle more.

·
Registered
995 Posts
i only upshift without clutch when i'm racing someone, its so much quicker than clutching. I love using it against thou' bikes, it makes them look :gay
Not wise to use it when ur cruising around checking out the chicks :boob

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ed said:
I just got taught clutchless upshifting at the California SuperBike School this past weekend, so my desciption of it may not be all that great.

But the sequence goes like this: throttle on, then roll off the throttle slightly (like a blip) - shift up - then roll back on the throttle. The key is to shift in that half a second where you're rolling off the throttle. The reasoning behind this is that when you're riding and you roll off the throttle, you're momentarily in a state where there's no power going to the engine, just like you were pulling in the clutch -- I'm not sure what that state is called. The instructor just explained it like that.

A couple of other points: You have to be quick with the whole sequence. So you can't just roll off the throttle from 12,000 rpm's and slowly shift up as the tachometer starts dropping, then roll back on the throttle. If you do this, the bike will jerk shifting up. You have to let off the throttle a little but not too little. It's hard to explain. I did it on a machine that told me if I was going too fast or too slow and if I wasn't rolling off the throttle as much or if I needed to roll off the throttle more.
thats a good description. The only time you will grind your gears and do damage is if you do it improperly. Its a pretty simple really and doesnt hurt anything.
The clutch just keeps the tension off the gears while they are being moved. Rolling off the throttle (but not to the point of engine braking) has the same effect.
Although I dont recommend doing this from 1st to 2nd :)

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
ya, rolling off the throttle "unloads" the tranny allowing you to put a slight upward (downward if you have gp shift) pressure on the lever and it'll just shift as smooth as can be.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
penfold said:
ya, rolling off the throttle "unloads" the tranny allowing you to put a slight upward (downward if you have gp shift) pressure on the lever and it'll just shift as smooth as can be.
Yep...

not any worse on the clutch or tranny than shifting with the clutch. the trannys on these bikes are sophisticated enough to handle it.

1st to second is not a good idea (1st to second gear transition has never been a strong point on an r6) but for any other gear it is ok.

the smoother action gives less stress on the other parts of the bike compared to the rock forward and then push backwards from shifting using the clutch..

Think about this, NOT using the clutch requires less mechanisms on the machine to operate. and the one thing I do know about machinery is that the less moving parts, the better.

except for 1-2 or 2-1 i usually dont use the clutch going up and often dont use the clutch going down.

:cheers

·
Registered
951 Posts
in every book and article on professional racing i've read says there is no benefit to not using the clutch. i personally just use the clutch why not. why use a condom when you can just pull out. somethings are just safer :poke

but there are always those that like to do it because it's more fun and more beneficial. that's my little opinion

:hammer

·
Registered
486 Posts
why use a condom when you can just pull out. somethings are just safer

HILARIOUS....yea just use the clutch man

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,476 Posts
Car transmissions are DIFFERENT

Your auto mechanic is right...for a car. A car transmission actuall engages and disengages gears when you shift. A motorcyle trans is a constant mesh transmission. This means all the gears are meshed at all times. When you shift, the gear sets are moved from side to side to engage. In short you wont damage the gear teeth by shift without the clutch. The damage that is done by improper clutchless shifting is to the dogs on the side of the gears that engage the gear sets.

Motorcycle transmissions are made to be shifted without a clutch, if done properly. As you move up the RPM 's to you shift point, apply a little pressure to the gearshift. When you reach your shift point, roll off the throttle (the shifter will clickk into the next gear) and roll back on the gas.

I've raced for 12 years and use the clutch at the start of a race and the get the back wheel to step out entering a turn. I have never had to tear a motor down for a tranny. (I even downshift twice into Willow Springs' turn nine with out the clutch)

This method of shifting, if done right and smoothly, will not harm your bike, but if done incorrectly will increase wear on th gear dogs. Bottom line, USE THE CLUTCH ON THE STREET (at least most of the time)

Butch
2001 WSMC #47

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,476 Posts
Sport Rider Mag article

FYI... Sport Rider article in the September "04 issue. "In The Clutch" p.84

·
Registered
784 Posts
I done a few clutchless shifts described above... where I got lazy and was putting pressure on the shifter before using the clutch and surprisingly it didnt' sound half as bad as some of the N->1st shifts I've done at startup......

Speaking of sportrider... man I haven't picked up a copy in ages... I heard there was a good 600 comparo in there recently

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.