Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys Ive had my R6 for a few months and really love it. Ive heard a few of my friends (non sportbike riders) tell me i should grab a steering damper. Is it neccasery? Does it make a world of difference? If so what brand kind reccomended? I have a 04 R6 and havent really ever experienced speed wobbles or anything.

It does vibrate a little when your hard on the throttle. Is that what these are designed to cure? Im looking for something not super expensive but also willing to pay more if its something thats not worth cheaping out on.

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just put a scotts damper on my 08 r6 this spring and it certainly improved the stability on rough roads/hard acceleration. For the money I would definitely recommend it. Before you spend the money though I would try resetting all of your suspension adjustments. I noticed an improvement from that alone as the bike was not set up properly at all from the previous owner (left/right fork settings were off causing wobbles continuously).

Worth a try but either way I'm satisfied with the $465 investment and feel much more confident in the twisties.

·
Stunt Rider
7,977 Posts
It helps greatly. But u wont realize how important having one is until you:

1. Experience a speed wobble
2. Remove one from your bike.

Ridick - Skeet Skeet Skeet!!!!

·
crashing aint so bad
2,271 Posts
Necessary no......... Helpful to alleviate a potential issue yes......

In detail it goes like this. Speed wobbles are a result of bad rider habits and bad suspension setup. The steering damper can in essence mask and or reduce the problem caused by these two attributes. Remember the problem is the speed wobble, the cause is the rider and the suspension setup. So if the damper can reduce or hide the problem, we still have not fixed the cause.

The question then becomes, do we ant to fix the cause of the problem, or simply the problem itself? If you blindly go out and get a damper without trying to fix the cause of the problem, you are going to continue to have bad riding habits and suspension setup. The root of the problem will still exist to some degree and may hold you back over the course of time?

If you take some time to research the true cause of speed wobbles you would quickly learn that they are a truly exceptable occurrence and can be ratified with simple suspension changes and rider behaviors. The speed wobble will still always rear it's ugly head at some point, but that point may be at a speed much higher than it currently is. It is foolish to simply get one for the sake of having one. However it is not a purchase in vain. At some point it will always come in handy, the only thing you have to consider is if it is money well spent on an item that is technically not needed at that time?

·
Just lean harder...
874 Posts

In detail it goes like this. Speed wobbles are a result of bad rider habits and bad suspension setup. The steering damper can in essence mask and or reduce the problem caused by these two attributes. Remember the problem is the speed wobble, the cause is the rider and the suspension setup. So if the damper can reduce or hide the problem, we still have not fixed the cause.

The question then becomes, do we ant to fix the cause of the problem, or simply the problem itself? If you blindly go out and get a damper without trying to fix the cause of the problem, you are going to continue to have bad riding habits and suspension setup. The root of the problem will still exist to some degree and may hold you back over the course of time?

If you take some time to research the true cause of speed wobbles you would quickly learn that they are a truly exceptable occurrence and can be ratified with simple suspension changes and rider behaviors. The speed wobble will still always rear it's ugly head at some point, but that point may be at a speed much higher than it currently is. It is foolish to simply get one for the sake of having one. However it is not a purchase in vain. At some point it will always come in handy, the only thing you have to consider is if it is money well spent on an item that is technically not needed at that time?
Do you have one on your bike?

·
track junkie
2,257 Posts
Care to go in depth a little as to some of those bad rider habits?
generally, too much input on the bars while under hard acceleration over uneven pavement will do it. you're supposed to hold yourself up by your torso and lower body, so if your arms are doing the work then you're doing it wrong.

happened to me on a part of the track that's bumpy and where i generally try to adjust my body position coming out of a corner. bad idea. but, if you get a damper before you learn to ride properly, you may never know you're doing something wrong...

s3aturnr

·
When in doubtThrottle out
5,058 Posts

:fact

Do you have one on your bike?
:yes because I set a front wheel down at least once a lap after hard acceleration on the track and the possibility of it going down crooked is a big deal. Generally I don't have weight on my bars unless I have an injury causing me to adjust by weighting bars.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Saturn pretty much covered them, weighting the bars is the biggest one.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input guys. I'd much rather work on correct body positioning / riding than spend a lot of money to fix a similar problem. I appreciate all the help!

·
crashing aint so bad
2,271 Posts
Yes I do have one on my machine. It is set at a very low setting that just eliminates the wobbles. Keep in mind however that I run in the A group and am faster than the average guy. This doesn't mean that I can't improve on things, but what it does mean is that I require very little arresting of the wobbles from the damper. Most of the work is done in rider habits and suspension setup.

Having a death grip on the bars is the quickest and easiest way to get a wobble in any situation. It usually occurs when hard on the gas out of corners, but can also occur when hard on the gas over bumps. Suspension setup can reduce, or increase the tendency of the phenomenon, but it cannot completely eliminate it. The rider habits are the predominate cause. A very loose and relaxed grip on the bars at all times is the easiest way to reduce the tendency for wobbles to occur.

Don't confuse my assessment as an anti steering damper theory. I simply know and believe that the damper is not a necessity and is simply a tool to improve the situation at hand. It cannot fix the problem, it can only reduce it. The problem still exists, the damper simply masks it and makes it less of a problem. Dampers are generally pricey units that have a pretty good stanza. The general consensus is that you can't live without one. The fact is that you can go very fast without one at all. At some point however, having one will be a much needed tool to improve times and reduce the phenomenon.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts

considering you are newer to street bikes (at least that's what i assume?) and you are not track riding, there are many other things your money would be better spend on.. or save it.
Yea, they are nice, they may help at some point, but even with a steering damper you can get into a tank slapper that is bad. it's not magic. If ya have a spare $450+- laying around .. i still would spend it one something else for now. :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright thanks mates for all the help. I don't know if my suspension has even been looked at as far as front forks go. Gonna take it to a shop in town when I get back and have them change out the fluids for me. Also see if they'll adjust the suspension to a heavier weight limit. I'm 6'3 and 230. I think my bikes set up for a lighter rider as we'll.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
Alright thanks mates for all the help. I don't know if my suspension has even been looked at as far as front forks go. Gonna take it to a shop in town when I get back and have them change out the fluids for me. Also see if they'll adjust the suspension to a heavier weight limit. I'm 6'3 and 230. I think my bikes set up for a lighter rider as we'll.

is an r6 set up for a rider lighter than 230 ? yea, that's a safe bet .. LOL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts