Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2006 r6s. Replaced all 4 coils just over a year ago. Two of them went bad 4 months ago under warranty. Replaced those. Now another one of the new ones has gone bad again. Any ideas?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They aren’t oem. None of them are. Replaced them with some cheaper ones after oem went bad. Now I have these under warranty and replaced them. If that was the cause wouldn’t they all go bad?? Oem coils are soo expensive.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Not trying to make any point with the following two questions...
Who is the manufacturer?
What are your current "voltage drop test" readings for the negative side battery post/terminal to a scratched-clean point on the engine head?
Voltage drop readings measure the amount of voltage loss, between two points. Meters generally average readings and don't record peak levels. But a higher average may be indicative insufficient grounding between engine/frame/battery-negative.

Having already experienced symptoms that a second set was going, as an experiment, I added additional grounding between frame, engine, battery. But I didn't bother to take the "before" readings to even verify that there might be an insufficiency. If I can get through a second year and still be on the second set, (first set were OEM,) I might be able to theorize that this helped.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
BTW, what were the manufacturers for each of your sets?

OEM is Denso. Unless you're changing engine performance parameters, (a.k.a. "modded"), spark plugs are typically pretty solid. However they're also cheap to replace and if problems persist anyway, can be reused as they don't spoil.

Ignition coils
Model (manufacturer)
  • J0454 (DENSO)
Minimum ignition spark gap
  • 6 mm (0.24 in)
Primary coil resistance
  • 0.17 0.23 Ω at 20C (68F)
Secondary coil resistance
  • 4.8 7.2 kΩ at 20C (68F)

OEM Denso per below were recalled; replaced with Mitsubishi. The Mitsubishi coils will have different specifications. See the link...
https://www.r6-forum.com/forums/57-...tion-coil-resistance-reading.html#post5635097
https://www.google.com/search?sourc...e+Search&oq=site:r6-forum.com+mitsubishi+coil

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can’t recall what manufacturer the original coils I replaced were, but each time I’ve replaced them they have been from the company coilspec.
I replaced spark plugs each time as well.
I don’t know much about these things and have used videos to work my way through each problem.
I haven’t done a drop test but will when I get chance.
Did notice the top of coil is browned as if it over heated, as shown in picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
BTW, what were the manufacturers for each of your sets?

OEM is Denso. Unless you're changing engine performance parameters, (a.k.a. "modded"), spark plugs are typically pretty solid. However they're also cheap to replace and if problems persist anyway, can be reused as they don't spoil.

Ignition coils
Model (manufacturer)
  • J0454 (DENSO)
Minimum ignition spark gap
  • 6 mm (0.24 in)
Primary coil resistance
  • 0.17 0.23 Ω at 20C (68F)
Secondary coil resistance
  • 4.8 7.2 kΩ at 20C (68F)

OEM Denso per below were recalled; replaced with Mitsubishi. The Mitsubishi coils will have different specifications. See the link...
https://www.r6-forum.com/forums/57-...tion-coil-resistance-reading.html#post5635097
https://www.google.com/search?sourc...e+Search&oq=site:r6-forum.com+mitsubishi+coil

was not a recall and that only applies to the 2003. it was a service bulletin M2003-19. they weren't failing. they were arching to the cyl head due to poor insulation they were made with. https://www.r6messagenet.com/forums...ition-problems-yamaha-technical-bulletin.html

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
@yamahacrazy - Thanks for the info. Something tells me you've corrected this 'recall' info relatively often.

I can’t recall what manufacturer the original coils I replaced were, but each time I’ve replaced them they have been from the company coilspec.
I don’t know much about these things and have used videos to work my way through each problem.
Did notice the top of coil is browned as if it over heated, as shown in picture.
I was curious about CoilSpec.
https://www.r6-forum.com/forums/46-...-ignition-coil-compatibility-2002-2016-a.html
So far I haven't needed to purchase replacements. (knock on wood)
Neither was my question ever answered.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I have. just so guys know that after 2003 everyone got the mitsubishi coils. they may be made by denso again but the design is updated. I don't know where my old coils are but mine had holes in them arching to the head. funny thing is though, I didn't feel it. bike seemed fine.

you can use a site that sells oem parts. if the part numbers are the same for the different years then the coils are all the same. sites like coil spec often lists stuff wrong. for example all yamaha R6 use the same brake pads but often sites show all the years broken down. makes you think they're all different. yamaha has all the same oem part numbers for the pads. even my 15 R1 uses the same part numbers as your bike for the front pads.

this site says the coils are all the same https://store.schnitzracing.com/energycoil-coil-on-plug-stick-coils-yamaha-yzf-r6-01-18/

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Wow a $700 set of coils. That ought to last the life of the engine and carry a warranty to match. Since that site lists them as 2001 to 2018, in theory someone should be able to get coils from a 2018 and have it work with a 2001. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
was not a recall and that only applies to the 2003. it was a service bulletin M2003-19. they weren't failing. they were arching to the cyl head due to poor insulation they were made with. 2003 R6 IGNITION PROBLEMS: YAMAHA TECHNICAL BULLETIN
not a recall but probably should have been a tec bulletin is one step before a recall the problem just hasn't killed anyone yet and the company really doesn't want to eat the whole bill ... don't snob on people about semantics.
and i have an 07 R6s with the densos and they are arcing to the valve cover at the same spot the 03 (bad) coils so i guess Denso has yet to get it figured out.
I have been trying to locate a set of new Mitsubishi coils.
I was hoping to find something in between the oem and the Energycoils
being my bike is track only it is yec race spec but i don't ride it that hard.
the voltage drop test is a good idea i do notice continuity jitters with the painted head and some of the other parts.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
not a recall but probably should have been a tec bulletin is one step before a recall the problem just hasn't killed anyone yet and the company really doesn't want to eat the whole bill ... don't snob on people about semantics.
and i have an 07 R6s with the densos and they are arcing to the valve cover at the same spot the 03 (bad) coils so i guess Denso has yet to get it figured out.
I have been trying to locate a set of new Mitsubishi coils.
I was hoping to find something in between the oem and the Energycoils
being my bike is track only it is yec race spec but i don't ride it that hard.
the voltage drop test is a good idea i do notice continuity jitters with the painted head and some of the other parts.
if you have an 07 you should not have the denso coils. they quit using them in 2004. someone must of bought used ones and replaced the mitsubishi coils

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,404 Posts
Invisible? Shit! I got denso in 2017?

·
Registered
12 Posts
@Patrickg38 Trying to get some longer term feedback on Coilspec coils. I have a 03 R6 and replaced my coils with Coilspec back in 2017. It's been no more than 2-3K miles and now the bike is dragging as if a coil or 2 are bad. I took them out and the resistance are in spec but I see in posts that you can't completely use resistance to determine if they are good or bad. So, I am wondering if Coilspec coils are actually durable. You said each time you replaced, it was Coilspec. Did you actually find a solution? Do you suspect the Coilspec coils were part of the problem?

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Create a foil sleeve. Ground the sleeve with alligator clips. Use hat to simulate being installed in the engine head while you run the spark test in diag mode. Use a spark gap tester instead of a spark plug.

Borescope your fuel tank, check your filter, lines and injectors. 2-3k over 4-5 years is pretty much the same as not being used.

·
Registered
12 Posts
@Intuit Quick follow-up. I didn't even have to do the foil test. I retested them for resistance and one was bad with secondary resistance. I don't know how I missed that the first time but clearly user error. As to Coilspec, customer service was great helping getting a replacement. Long term durability is still yet to be seen but Coilspec customer service would have me go back to them. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts