Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
VVV That is my Gramps!
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m sure I will get some interesting responses from the guys up north or back east, but I live in southern California, so I’m a bit out of my element. So yesterday I rode my r6 to work at 6:30 am, it was a cold ride, when I got to work my weather bug on my droid told me that it was 29 degrees at the time. My question is what’s the coldest that you have got for a decent ride in, by decent I mean like across town, or to go somewhere, not just up and down your street. I know I was pretty shocked to see it was that cold out. And before any one can do it I know.

·
2008 R6
3,671 Posts
Two or three weeks ago, and it was about 27 that day (Later in the evening after about a 37 degree day). With the windchill though (which you Cali guys probably don't really get like we do in the Northeast) it must have been in the teens or lower.

After 3 or 4 minutes I felt like my finger tips were going to fall off.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I live in PA and fighting the wind chill plays a big factor . I will ride down to the higher end of the 40's . Even with thick leather and layers of clothes the chill slips in some how over time when I try to ride in anything colder. I'm not much on shivering while riding.Plus in my state they treat the rodes with salt/crushed gravel for the winter and it is hell on the lips of my fenders. Can't wait tell the streets warm back u so I can feel it again.

·
VVV That is my Gramps!
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I live in PA and fighting the wind chill plays a big factor . I will ride down to the higher end of the 40's . Even with thick leather and layers of clothes the chill slips in some how over time when I try to ride in anything colder. I'm not much on shivering while riding.Plus in my state they treat the rodes with salt/crushed gravel for the winter and it is hell on the lips of my fenders. Can't wait tell the streets warm back u so I can feel it again.
Yeah for the most part, even if it is cold i dont have to fight the salt or cinder on the roads.

·
NCSportbikes.com
701 Posts
Last winter I rode to work (20 miles) when it was 12 degrees out. That was a bad idea...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Its a nasty sound when the bits of gravel stick to the front tire and travel up in between the front fender and the tire . I had to take it around the block 2 days ago because of fear of making a flat spot on my rear tire ( no stands yet ) and found a rather larger chunck of gravel travel up the tire hit the front fender and then was flung high enough in the air to hit my face shield :eek5 . At least the salt melts.

·
R6 Lover
858 Posts
im too scared to ride sub 50's.
even 50 degrees sucks. I dont mind the cold as much as the fact that the tires dont stick as well when they are cold and the road is cold too.
I rode in 30 or so degrees before and it was miserable now 50 and sun or i dont ride.

·
Registered
251 Posts
no longer ride in the cold after going down a month ago. make sure you warm your tires guys if your going to ride in the cold

·
Needs more stars
2,937 Posts
I don't know how you guys do it. We went out yesterday and it was in the mid 50's...did not take long before I could not feel my fingers. :thumbdown

·
I'd Flip it :popcorn:
16,745 Posts
I have been out in 10* weather a few times, Just dress warm and its fine to get my fix, My last track day started in the 30's for the first few sessions

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't know how you guys do it. We went out yesterday and it was in the mid 50's...did not take long before I could not feel my fingers. :thumbdown
I'm not going to call you a liar but wow... Mid 50's and you can't feel your fingers? It takes >40 before thats an issue for me.

On topic, I've been riding in 32-37 degree weather the last few days.

·
Needs more stars
2,937 Posts
I'm not going to call you a liar but wow... Mid 50's and you can't feel your fingers? It takes >40 before thats an issue for me.

On topic, I've been riding in 32-37 degree weather the last few days.
Mid 50's for this area = COLD! :lmao Plus I am a wuss when it comes to cold weather. :yuk: :laugh

·
Shiney up Rubber down
4,925 Posts
I rode to work a couple weeks ago (10 miles or so) it was 23 when I left for work at 6 am, and only 36 when I left work to come home... one of the coldest days on record in FL, (where I'm at) and I decided to ride to work that day... Smart choice huh?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I’m sure I will get some interesting responses from the guys up north or back east, but I live in southern California, so I’m a bit out of my element. So yesterday I rode my r6 to work at 6:30 am, it was a cold ride, when I got to work my weather bug on my droid told me that it was 29 degrees at the time. My question is what’s the coldest that you have got for a decent ride in, by decent I mean like across town, or to go somewhere, not just up and down your street. I know I was pretty shocked to see it was that cold out. And before any one can do it I know.
Where abouts in riverside are you at? i live out in Corona..

·
I Am THE Reaper
1,868 Posts
mine was 25 degrees at 10 oclock...one of the worst experiences, my finger tips were purple by the time i got home...this was a trip from school to my house which is lik 10 miles i think.

·
Registered
333 Posts
10 degrees is the coldest. i was riding to work every day before the snow stuck and it was usually in the 20s-30s. cold at 50 degrees is the most insane thing ive ever read.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts