Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2008 r6
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
08 r6 wit 18k miles struggles on cold starts no matter how hot or cold it is outside but starts up great after I ride for an hour.
I cant seen to figure this out and no one has been able to figure ut out either.
New stator and rectifier
New battery- shorai lithium battery lfx14a4-bs12
LED headlights
I wait til fuel pump shuts off to start it. It sounds like theres not enough juice to start up but battery reads 13.4v before start up. Drops to as low as 8.9v but mainly 9/10v which I hear is normal. Sometimes while its struggling itll stop like its bout to die but it starts up. At times the rpm needle is delayed and doesnt go to full range at beginning of start up. I have to hold ignition button a tiny bit longer than normal. During start up at times the starter even sounds like it doesnt have juice to start but the bike starts every time tho🤷‍♂️.
After riding a while it starts right up like it should.
Any ideas???
Thank u

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Low/mid 10v is normal during crank. But cold-cranking is why I went back to Pb-Acid; an unfortunate waste of money on Shorai Li-Ion. In order to get the advertised CCA, they want you to stand around with your thumb up your ass running the lights to "warm up" the battery. 😠

Anyway, what you're describing sounds like the classic cold start fuel-enrichment issue. 2nd-Gen has a built-in way to enrich the fuel from the dash but with 3rd-Gen and 4th-Gen, it has to be done via ECU flash.

·
Registered
2008 r6
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Low/mid 10v is normal during crank. But cold-cranking is why I went back to Pb-Acid; an unfortunate waste of money on Shorai Li-Ion. In order to get the advertised CCA, they want you to stand around with your thumb up your ass running the lights to "warm up" the battery. 😠

Anyway, what you're describing sounds like the classic cold start fuel-enrichment issue. 2nd-Gen has a built-in way to enrich the fuel from the dash but with 3rd-Gen and 4th-Gen, it has to be done via ECU flash.
I'll try warming up the battery before starting it and see if it helps.
Is my 08 r6 a 2nd generation?3rd?4th?
If 2nd how would I be able to adjust it from the dash?

·
Registered
2008 r6
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The warming up of the battery seems to help. Next time I'll warm it up longer and get a definitive answer but I do notice a difference.
Thank u

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Once it starts, it's running off the generator; the battery should be irrelevant at that point unless it's somehow absorbing too much power after initial start? But that would be evident by the voltage readings post-start. Intermittent issues are the worse to troubleshoot; placebo can be a powerful factor.

·
Registered
2008 r6
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Once it starts, it's running off the generator; the battery should be irrelevant at that point unless it's somehow absorbing too much power after initial start? But that would be evident by the voltage readings post-start. Intermittent issues are the worse to troubleshoot; placebo can be a powerful factor.
The problem is between hitting ignition button and the point of being started.
I'll take a video tomorrow. Ya during the start up process after I press the ignition button sounds like it wants to start right up but it cant and it's trying to get enough juice to start up. Seems like its having trouble getting the juice to get it started it. At times it starts, I let go of ignition, then dies for a sec but kick starts again.
Hard to explain. I'll get video and post.
After turning pump on and off a few times and leave lights on it seems to start a little better and doesnt seem to struggle as much.🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,422 Posts
Gel batteries don't do well when ambient temp is below 45-50F. A normal lead-acid starts fine in 19F just fine, but as a battery fails cold cranking amps decrease to the point of not cranking.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Gel batteries don't do well when ambient temp is below 45-50F. .............
Good to know they're affected as well. With these newer battery technologies, obviously the old CCA standard has become antiquated and needs to be replaced. The Li-Ion manufacturers clearly aren't being realistic about how they choose to calculate; with no regard to the amount of time needed to generate the peak number.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts