Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 R6 & I have problems starting it from cold.If it doesn't start first time then it takes several attempts to get it running.When it does fire up it seems to cough & splutter for a few seconds before running perfectly fine.Could I have a problem with the carburettors?Do any of you have a clue what it could be if you have had the same problem?I'd be grateful for some advice because this problem is driving me mad!

G

·
First of all did you use the choke. If so then the carbs might need to be cleaned out. Which really isnt that hard you just need to keep track of where each jet goes.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I do use the choke.It wont start at all if I don't.I didn't want to rave the carbs off if that wasn't the problem.The bike seems to run fine once it is warmed up.Are you sure thats the problem??

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Has anyone else got any ideas what the problem could be???Or should I strip the carbs??

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi PhoEniX,
I've had the carbs off my bike this weekend & I think I have sorted the problem!!! The PILOT SCREWS were wound too far out from the fully in position.They were 2.5 turns out instead of 1.5,which is stated in the manual.It seems to want to start better now,even when its warm.I'm going to run it for a while to see how it behaves after its cooled down again.It might have been a bit of luck that it started first time after I put the carbs back on because it can be tempramental!
To adjust the pilot screws on the US models I think you have got to drill the blanking plugs off the top of screws to get at them & they're right underneath the carbs!!(a bitch to get to!)
I'l let you know when I'm absolutely sure I've sorted the problem & set it up perfectly.
Cheers :cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts