Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Because I Can
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATE: Post #19

Anyone else getting them on petty charges from supposedly a very long time ago?

Situation:
On March 2nd I get a call from some random 1-800 number. Before I called them back I googled the number and it was for a collections agency. I thought, "wtf I don't have any unpaid bills." Side note: I pay all my bills (early in fact), don't carry a credit card balance ever, and have a score of over 800, and I'm an accountant so I keep a close eye on my finances :).

Anyways, I call them back and they tell me that my account from "______ hospital" is in collections for an unpaid balance of $75 from August 2003. I chuckle on the phone and go "lol uhhhh 2003? You're just now calling me 7 years later?:dunce:" He then tells me they are the 3rd agency to have my case because they couldn't get a hold of me. Yeah, major BS since they obviously have my phone number and it has never changed and I've had it for the last 13 years. So I tell him that I will call them back after I talk with the hospital and get more information.

I get the bill sent to me a few days later by the hospital and the total bill was $131. I'm assuming that the $75 is some ER co-pay. Oh, and the Dr. didn't even diagnose the problem correctly. I later found out that I had a Brown Recluse spider bite. The Dr. didn't even look at my thigh and tried telling me that I had herpes. I go "ummm Dr. I'm interning down here and haven't had any contact with anyone for 3 months. Would you at least look at my leg, the pain is crazy bad." He just tells me no that it's definitely herpes. Yeaaaah he was an idiot and it wasn't da herp. He even gave me a script for herp medicine and I was thinking that there was not a chance in hell I was getting that filled at a pharmacy. Again notice the underlined above just to say it again lol.

I just got a call back from the collections place tonight. I was greeted by an automation saying to wait for the next available person. I wait and then a girl says how many I help you. I told her "umm you call me actually." Then she hangs up on me lol. So I call back and figure I'll have a little fun with them now since they are wasting my time.

I call back and get another lady. She immediately says
Her - How are you prepared to settle this today?
Me - Well I told an agent of yours on March 2nd that I would be contacting the hospital and getting more information and would be working with them to settle this issue.
Her - Well my best advise is to just pay this today and get it settled.
Me - LOL of course you want me to pay. That's not your advice, that's your job. You are just now contacting me for a small balance that is 7 years old. The only reason why the hospital is concerned now is because of the economy being bad. So they are now looking at small balances that were not worth their time just a short time ago and quite frankly this is a joke.
Her - So what you are saying is that you are not going to pay this?
Me - Actually I didn't say that at all. What I did say was [repeated the above] + I would be working with the hospital. I never said that I wasn't going to pay it.
Her - Well I have to inform you that collection attempts will continue.
Me - That's fine with me, you can keep calling me.
Her - Do you still live at _______
Me - Nope.
Her - What is a current address so we can update our records?
Me - I don't plan on giving you that information.
Her - We will keep on trying to collect this....
Me - Again, feel free to keep calling. I don't mind talking to you.
She was getting so pissed with me and I was just loving every minute of it...and she knew it lol.

She then hung up on me :lmao. Honestly though, after 7 years and with my credit record/volume on the report I couldn't care less if they sent it to my report. Woopty-fing-do over a measly $75.

Question:
1.) Isn't there a statue of limitations on this type of thing in regard to time?
2.) Doesn't your credit report only go for the past 7 years anyways? If so maybe that's why they are concerned now before it's too late.
3.) If it does go to my report doesn't it get recorded from the date of the transaction? As in wouldn't it almost immediately fall off my report? So they are trying scare tactics over $75 hoping I'm an idiot with my money and would just pay it?

I plan on stringing them along for as long as I can just to piss them off. Eventually they will give me an ultimatum at which point I'll tell them: "This is recorded right? Go pound sand and stop calling me over this measly amount of money." (word for word I will too). Or I could pay it but tell them that I will pay them over the course of 7 years as in $0.89/month...then tell them to go pound sand LOL.

·
her name is Megan Fox
2,583 Posts
its even worse when you get a new cell number and they call and accuse you of witholding information. :laugh. its easy to stop that, just tell them your lawyer will be in contact with their supervisor.

·
RIDE, SURF, L )VE
12,698 Posts
Statute of limitations is 6 years i believe, but that's to actually file the claim, and then it can appear on your record for 7 more years. so if it's not reported on your CR then you should be in the clear.

Can i ask the name of the "collection agency"

·
Because I Can
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Google says they are National Recovery Agency. Phone number is 1-800-814-6580. Google also says this is a scam company so I'm not sure.

I told them I didn't get a bill from the hospital over the last week when I contacted them but in reality I did. hehehe I lied just to push their buttons. The bill actually give a total of $131, but the amout due or "Balance forward" is $0.00.....so perhaps this is a scam.
EDIT: I'm going to call them again now and puff out my chest calling them out about trying to scam me and see what they do. I'll tell them I will contact a lawyer about harassment if they contact me again.

·
RIDE, SURF, L )VE
12,698 Posts
Google says they are National Recovery Agency. Phone number is 1-800-814-6580. Google also says this is a scam company so I'm not sure.

I told them I didn't get a bill from the hospital over the last week when I contacted them but in reality I did. hehehe I lied just to push their buttons. The bill actually give a total of $131, but the amout due or "Balance forward" is $0.00.....so perhaps this is a scam.
well, lots of collection agencies are listed as scams. the problem is legit companies definitely scam people alongside of doing real collections. yours is a potential case of that. i just had this a couple months ago.

i got something on my report from a collection agency for $116 for a bill that my former complexes claim doesn't exist. I actually got refunds from each complex when i moved out (deposit), and there's no paper trail of me owing them anything.

it's weird how that can be done by companies, but it's not the first time by any means

·
The guy your mother loves
1,930 Posts
I have some shit in collecitons from about 6 years ago. I dont intend touching it. Its comes off the credit repot after 7-10 years. So F it.

·
Because I Can
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I just called them back and they wouldn't answer. It said that the call was being answered by "Audit-x". This annoyed me so I loaded up Rick Roll on YouTube and played the entire song on their voicemail LMFAO. I hope they call me back.

EDIT: I actually reached the max allowed time to record. So I delivered the song and then called back and left a 2nd message with the remainder of the song.

·
Registered
875 Posts
^^ That's awesome! :lmao

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
HAve the same shit going on for the last 3 years. Quick rundown.....1997 had Left ACL reconstruction through charity care, ended up owing them around $5k. Paid about $1,500 and somehow didn't pay the rest. 3 years ago I received calls from a recovery agency, actually they got a hold of me from my parents, my mom gave them my phone number. First, I went to the hospital and sure enough I had an outstanding balance of $3,700 but the hospital wasn't in charge of these accounts anymore. These recovery agents buy the cases off of the hospital for xx% and then get to keep what they collect and they don't have any statute of limitatiuons. What is on your side is something when it is time barred. From what a lawyer I know said is that they can not attempt to collect a debt that you haven't made any payment for 7 years(I think it was 7, maybe 8). You can sue them for this, you won't get rich but they will leave you alone and you can make a few dollars.
Talk to a lawyer or just pay the $130 it isn't a lot of money. Collections agencies don't have a statute of limitations.

·
RIDE, SURF, L )VE
12,698 Posts
HAve the same shit going on for the last 3 years. Quick rundown.....1997 had Left ACL reconstruction through charity care, ended up owing them around $5k. Paid about $1,500 and somehow didn't pay the rest. 3 years ago I received calls from a recovery agency, actually they got a hold of me from my parents, my mom gave them my phone number. First, I went to the hospital and sure enough I had an outstanding balance of $3,700 but the hospital wasn't in charge of these accounts anymore. These recovery agents buy the cases off of the hospital for xx% and then get to keep what they collect and they don't have any statute of limitatiuons. What is on your side is something when it is time barred. From what a lawyer I know said is that they can not attempt to collect a debt that you haven't made any payment for 7 years(I think it was 7, maybe 8). You can sue them for this, you won't get rich but they will leave you alone and you can make a few dollars.
Talk to a lawyer or just pay the $130 it isn't a lot of money. Collections agencies don't have a statute of limitations.
Statute of Limitations on Debt Collection

·
Because I Can
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
You can sue them for this, you won't get rich but they will leave you alone and you can make a few dollars.

Talk to a lawyer
Note taken. This will give me something fun to do in my spare time. If you haven't noticed by now; I will go out of my way to screw with someone if they annoy me. I just left a message for a lawyer friend (fellow car enthusiast) to see what he says. If I have a case I will gladly be serving them with lawsuit just to make a point. The expense will be "entertainment" for my records.

·
Under construction
89 Posts
I work for the collections department for Citi in the sears credit card portfolio and if this isn't a scam the hospital should be able to provide you with the number for the 3 party that is trying to collect.

·
I'd Flip it :popcorn:
16,747 Posts
I owe Sprint PCS for my last bill, But I refuse to pay because they Kept billing my for 3 more months after my Contract had run out, I have been geting calls for the past 2 years and I teel them when they fix thier mistake I will pay my last bill....I have yet to pay. I got a call the other day and the guy told me I had to Pay now! And I said ORLY?, I made some smart ass remarks told him to suck my balls and hung up...

I also Owe my Hospital from 9 years ago 150 bucks after a crash I did not have any cash on mefor my deductable, they never called

·
Because I Can
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
UPDATE:
I just wasted the agency's time for 48 minutes lol. I talked with some moron lady 1st and eventually she was too dumb to get anything answered so 20 minutes later I had the supervisor. I even told him to do the math in his head: take 1/3 of an hour of the 1st ladies pay + 1/3 of an hour of his pay and ask himself if his company is going to make any money or lose money on my case lol. He didn't say much to that because he knew what was up.

It took me 20 minutes just to get an address for them. They wanted my address first so I gave them my parents address and just said yeah I'll get your letter. She was pissed that I wouldn't admit it wasn't my current address lol. Then 20 minutes later she gave me their address.
Me - So what the heck changed in the last 20 minutes that you are now all of a sudden able to give me your address?
Her - Well we want to make sure you are who you say you are.
Me - LOLOLOL what?!?!?! Are you telling me that you think someone is going to just pick up a phone, randomly dial YOUR 1-800 number and then say "hey I'm [Dunc] and I'm calling about $75 outstanding? You realize that you have a better chance of being struck by lightning twice in the same second?
Her - [Useless dribble]....she knew she was being stupid.

It took me 48 minutes, but what I took away from this conversation is that:
1.) $75 is going to be reported on my credit report either on the 15th or 30th of this month....they still wouldn't tell me for sure when.
2.) My account shows "verbal dispute," but that means jack-shit to a credit report.
3.) I have to wait 2 weeks to get instructions in the mail in order to know what I send them to make it a "written dispute."
4.) I can't just send them a letter saying I'm disputing it. It only becomes "written" if I send them proof with my account number on a bill showing $0.00 due.
5.) Once they approve my proof that I send them then they send that to the credit report place and it'll take another 60-90 days to come off my report.
6.) Either way no matter what, I can't do shit in order to prevent this from hitting the report for the next 60-90 days minimum even though I have a bill showing $0.00 due. They won't accept a fax.
7.) They are notorious for circular reasoning and not giving ANY useful information.
8.) By the end of the conversation the supervisor goes "Can I ask you a question? Are you an accountant?" Yes, I am lol.
9.) I can guarantee that both of them have a headache now and want to make a "things that make you go FFFFUUUUUU" picture about me.

·
sha shaaa...!
2,383 Posts
7 years and you should be done. Dont pay it, dont even contact these places. Cause as soon as you do, it shows 'active'. Any recent and 'active' accounts are going to be the ones that impact your credit score the most.

Thats why if you have a bill thats like 5 years old, sometimes its just better to leave it be and not pay it cause otherwise it will show a 0 balance, but it will bump it back to the top and it will hurt your score than when it did when you didnt pay it.

Essentially, going back and paying really old small bills, can hurt your credit!
It sounds funny, but its true.

@ the OP- Regarding Collection agencies....i pulled a credit report and had 25 pages of crap.... whoa huh!? lol.. I disputed every single claim on my report on grounds of "verification of ownership of account, not just by address" So, by law, they have 30 days to contact all the debtors and verify that i do in fact owe the balance stated, and that they actually have the right person! IF they dont, by law, they have to remove that item from your credit report. And voila! Claim is OFF your report! thats better than even shown as "paid"... :fact The debtors have to verify by showing to forms of Identification that its you (not exactly sure, but its something like that) and if they cant/dont cause they are just busy, like they always are, then it works out in your favor. This works for PAID/and Settled accounts tooo. those can show up as a negative item even after you pay them off.

If you dispute these claims under the reason of "verification of ownership of account, not just by address" you will be fine. I got 13 of the 25 negative items on my list completely removed. The only way they come back on is if you really do owe the money, and if the account is still active. So this works great for really old accounts and accounts that dont know where your at.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts