Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a reliable way of coloring the forks without having to take them off completely? I'm wanting to do them in black to go with my black/orange/carbon fiber theme. I can get the rear sets and a couple other pieces that I'm wanting to do in black off, but am a little scared to try to get the forks off.

·
#KeepPounding
1,735 Posts
:popcorn:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's some pictures of my bike and my friends bike. I'm wanting to get about the same color as his forks.

·
Registered
6,864 Posts
I'm assuming your forks are gold and you want them black. To answer your question your best bet would be to get forks from a newer09-10/06 year r6 (black). It would be a huge pita to paint/coat these forks with the amount of disassembling having to take place. I'd just leave it but I know the feeling that when you're dead set on something....that shit's going to happen no matter what anyone tells you.

p.s. Not too sure about the years

·
#KeepPounding
1,735 Posts
I'm assuming your forks are gold and you want them black. To answer your question your best bet would be to get forks from a newer09-10/06 year r6 (black). It would be a huge pita to paint/coat these forks with the amount of disassembling having to take place. I'd just leave it but I know the feeling that when you're dead set on something....that shit's going to happen no matter what anyone tells you.

This. And pretty much only this. Youre gonna have to find black forks, and simply replace your golds man. There isnt an easier way. :fact

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Ya, I guess I should have added that mine's the orange one haha. Ya, mine is an '09 and his is an '06. I'm not sure if his came stock like that, or the previous owner did it. If it comes down to having to get new ones, I'll say f it until I have a considerable amount of disposable income, I can see them being pricey haha. But when I do I'll probably do black fork tubes, and get the bottoms a chrome/black. Kinda like the old Team Green Kawasaki mx forks (in green) from a few years ago.

This. And pretty much only this. Youre gonna have to find black forks, and simply replace your golds man. There isnt an easier way. :fact
I was worried that was the answer I was gonna get haha.

·
#KeepPounding
1,735 Posts
Ya, I guess I should have added that mine's the orange one haha. Ya, mine is an '09 and his is an '06. I'm not sure if his came stock like that, or the previous owner did it. If it comes down to having to get new ones, I'll say f it until I have a considerable amount of disposable income, I can see them being pricey haha. But when I do I'll probably do black fork tubes, and get the bottoms a chrome/black. Kinda like the old Team Green Kawasaki mx forks (in green) from a few years ago.

I was worried that was the answer I was gonna get haha.
Nope the 06 Ravens were the exception. And I think the 2010 White/Ravens as well. But dont quote me. I have an 07 Blue, that Ive eliminated all the white/silver off of so she's pure black and blue. But I still have these big gold forks. I kinda like them, like a Yamaha trademark.

·
Impossible is Nothing.
4,278 Posts

:stupic:werd

·
Fancy crotch smell
368 Posts
Yea, the 2010 white R6 also has black forks (I know, bc I have one now), BUT unlike many of you, I would much rather have the gold forks. If any of you are near/in Raleigh, NC and have mint condition gold forks on your bike, I would seriously consider swapping my new black forks with your gold ones.

Just some food for thought ;-)

·
It's never Lupus.
315 Posts
Well...if you're not gonna anodize them, or even take em off the bike...

[How to: Wrap forks in vinyl.]?
I might give this a try. Considering the cost for new outer tubes, the labor involved in replacing them, the probability of ruining the forks in the process- gloss vinyl and reapplying it every so often seems to be worth it in comparison. May do this next weekend.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts