Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Track Junkie
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I got out to the AAA Autoclub for the second time in two weeks on August 27. My brother in law came with because he had a project in mind that he really wanted to work on.

This is the end result!

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Nice! 2:54... I'm lined up right behind you. Silver 2nd gen with the white/red/black A* leathers.

What happened at 2:45? You lose the front for a second there?

If we get out there on the same day again I need to follow your around through turn 3... I can't figure out how to get through there quickly for the life of me.

·
Track Junkie
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea man I ran off the front and tucked it in. I had used my knee to bring her back up.... I almost highside after turn 6 at the 530 minute spot.

Turn three is a biit tricky... I normally start braking at the 3 cones and get down to 2nd. That way once you clear the corner you go WOT into 4 and follow the racing line to set you up for 5 and 6. I will be out there again in October. Funny you were there the same day. I am the guy that one the 50% of the Shoei helmet!

I was running 1:57s until I got caught in the NRS traffic in the later laps... I think Ill try Level 2 next time I think I can easily knock off 4 seconds and keep them off if I dont get swallowed up in the traffic.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
My fast lap of the day was a 1:57.8 - so it sounds like we're running a pretty similar pace. I was getting caught up in a lot of traffic, low-sided in turn 16 in the 2nd session of the day and was sick as a dog the week leading up to the track day - so I'm pretty sure I have a few more seconds in me too.

If you're running consistent 1:57s you should have no problem in Level 2. I've run in intermediate at Big Willow, and while I'm on the slower side of the group, if I line up at the back of the pack I don't have to worry about everyone blasting by me, but I'm still fast enough that guys at the front aren't catching up by the end of the session. The cut-off for intermediate is 2:01, and that was before they added the kink in the back straight.

·
Track Junkie
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ill do be uploading the vids tonight.... What mount are you using in your video fallis? Mines is much lower than yours and yours seems pretty sturdy. I tried using extensions to make it taller at chuckwalla and the video looks like an epileptic nightmare!!!

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
http://www.ram-mount.com/NewProducts/goprocameramount/tabid/3665/Default.aspx

I use that for the gauges view, mounted to the brake perch. You need the GoPro tripod mount as well if you want to go that route. I had the RAM mount arm / perch mount already, for when I use my iPhone as a lap timer, so I didn't mind spending the $10 for the GoPro ball mount thingy, but if you're getting everything just for the purposed of mounting the camera it's kind of pricey.

·
Track Junkie
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Best Lap...

Watching over my raw footage and having done another track day at Chuckwalla... I can shave off at least another 4 seconds by just braking later in and going through more gears.. I realize I tend not to shift gears simply because I dont want to have to down shift before my next turn. I will definitely be working on this come the 29th. Ill post up my three best laps from 8/27

·
Track Junkie
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a feeling he is talking about Trackdaz They will be out there 11-11-11 ... its $125 It may be my last track day of the season

·
Premium Member
963 Posts
Its with socaltrackdays. They run a no session format so it sounds interesting to try out. BWT Fontana next year for sure, only been there once but at the end of the day I was running 1:44s(give or take). My fastest was a high 1:42 and like you said after seeing my vids I noticed where I can improve. I still remember this 15 year old kid next to us that was running 1:31s (on a R6). He was already sponsored by graves he was just waiting to turn 16 to play with the big dogs.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Its with socaltrackdays. They run a no session format so it sounds interesting to try out. BWT Fontana next year for sure, only been there once but at the end of the day I was running 1:44s(give or take). My fastest was a high 1:42 and like you said after seeing my vids I noticed where I can improve. I still remember this 15 year old kid next to us that was running 1:31s (on a R6). He was already sponsored by graves he was just waiting to turn 16 to play with the big dogs.

The one time I was out at Chuckwalla, it was with SoCal. The no session format is freaking awesome. It's really nice not having to constantly keep an eye on the clock and being able to go out and ride until you can't hold yourself onto the bike anymore.

Running a 1:42 at Auto Club your first time out is pretty damn good. How long have you been doing track days?

·
DOC_G on R1-*****
1,112 Posts
The one time I was out at Chuckwalla, it was with SoCal. The no session format is freaking awesome. It's really nice not having to constantly keep an eye on the clock and being able to go out and ride until you can't hold yourself onto the bike anymore.

Running a 1:42 at Auto Club your first time out is pretty damn good. How long have you been doing track days?
I never been to the track with ChowHall but i have been in the canyons with him and dude can fly.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts