Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Chicken stripless
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope there's not a thread like this already. If there is, I'm sure you guys will let me know. I just got a 2010 R6 and I was just wondering if there are any common issues or quirks that I should keep an eye out for. I'm also wondering if there are any easy, must do mods. It already has a full Yoshi exhaust and the ecu is flashed for that and a few other things.

Attachments

·
I like corners.
357 Posts
Yamaha changed the valve guides for 2010 and they're known to drop valves and grenade the engine. They got it fixed for the 2011 year though. Sorry to hear you got the worst year of R6 ever made.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
I heard these bikes are too fast.

·
Chicken stripless
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't really find anything about the problem with the valves. Is there anything I can do t avoid the problem, aside from getting a different bike/motor?

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
Yamaha changed the valve guides for 2010 and they're known to drop valves and grenade the engine. They got it fixed for the 2011 year though. Sorry to hear you got the worst year of R6 ever made.
Let's not forget that's also the year with the worst ECU flash possible. And on the 2010+ models they locked out the ECU's so you cannot even flash them. Only choice is to buy the $2k YEC ECU kit. Or purchase the green power bands from Ebay.

·
Chicken stripless
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Let's not forget that's also the year with the worst ECU flash possible. And on the 2010+ models they locked out the ECU's so you cannot even flash them. Only choice is to buy the $2k YEC ECU kit. Or purchase the green power bands from Ebay.
You sure about that? I know the factory ECU flash is crap because they had to rush to meet new emissions standards, but I know for a fact that the ECU is not locked. My buddy is the one who flashed it and he definitely didn't pay 2K for the hardware.
What are the green power bands?

·
Registered
870 Posts
You sure about that? I know the factory ECU flash is crap because they had to rush to meet new emissions standards, but I know for a fact that the ECU is not locked. My buddy is the one who flashed it and he definitely didn't pay 2K for the hardware.
What are the green power bands?
No such thing as green powerband... your bike is fine everyone is just messing with you

·
Registered
319 Posts
The only thing an R6 is missing is a rear axle adjustment that is horizontal. Moving the axle forward or backwards lowers or raises ride height, which also changes front rake. Not a giant issue, but a fact.

If Yamaha stays away from ABS, gives us the correct rear adjustment and ads maps, the bike will be near perfection. They could also get rid of the throttle cables by putting the throttle potentiometer into the throttle grip housing. A small bit of weight savings.

·
Rubber side down
512 Posts
I agree. Having the cables still running how they do is a bit silly and unnecessary.

The only thing an R6 is missing is a rear axle adjustment that is horizontal. Moving the axle forward or backwards lowers or raises ride height, which also changes front rake. Not a giant issue, but a fact.

If Yamaha stays away from ABS, gives us the correct rear adjustment and ads maps, the bike will be near perfection. They could also get rid of the throttle cables by putting the throttle potentiometer into the throttle grip housing. A small bit of weight savings.
Could you imagine the cost for crash damage? We're better off this way, plus that would require flashing to adjust throttle pull, instead of a mechanical quick turn throttle.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Could you imagine the cost for crash damage? We're better off this way, plus that would require flashing to adjust throttle pull, instead of a mechanical quick turn throttle.
Relocating a potentiometer wouldn't change how it functions.

And, I forgot about the return spring's job. Never mind.

·
I like corners.
357 Posts
How often do you see a killswitch destroyed in a crash? The housing would be similar and in the same location.

And these bikes require a tune to unrestricted the throttle in the first place. So why would that all of a sudden be an issue?

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
The mufflers are commonly too long. :fact

·
Rubber side down
512 Posts
Think about how a quick turn throttle works. Now how would you change that without adjusting a reel size? I'm not talking about flashing to adjust the throttle butterfly openings, but having to flash just to make it a quick turn throttle.

·
Chicken stripless
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So was this a dumb thread to start? I just like to know everything I can about what I'm getting into.

Oh, and I found the green powerband. It really slings me forward at about 8k. :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts