Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The search is all but useless for specific topics of commuting/touring. This is where I am going to run down everything I am modding for comfort and fuel economy as I go.

2017 R6. Today turned over 1129.4 miles and now 5w40 rotella t6 and kn 1008 filter.
I'm 6'2" 160lbs
65 miles one way to work / 625-750+ miles per week
Presently 6200rpm at 65mph and 45-50mpg realtime figures
Need to establish stock damping values

First item is centering on adjustable up to 3in risers. Unless someone makes touring clipons?

https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/apex-3-adjustable-riser-clip-ons/

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Spare.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The search is all but useless for specific topics of commuting/touring. This is where I am going to run down everything I am modding for comfort and fuel economy as I go.

2017 R6. Today turned over 1129.4 miles and now 5w40 rotella t6 and kn 1008 filter.
I'm 6'2" 160lbs
65 miles one way to work / 625-750+ miles per week
Presently 6200rpm at 65mph and 45-50mpg realtime figures
Need to establish stock damping values

First item is centering on adjustable up to 3in risers. Unless someone makes touring clipons?

https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/apex-3-adjustable-riser-clip-ons/
I run Helibars on mine, def worth the upgrade and they are pre-drilled. Still waiting on Saddlemen to release the GPv1 for us but nothing yet. Please update us if you happen to upgrade your seat.

Helibars: https://www.helibars.com/products/HeliBars®-TracStar™-handlebar-risers-for-Yamaha-YZF-R6-2008%2donwards/651.html

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How do you like those bars on the wrists? Yes the seat is on the list.. but clipons and pegs are the immediate priority. Haven't even checked aftermarket vs refoaming options but I would like a white type shade the seat gets roasty sitting in 100F + all day lol.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
LSL makes some nice riser clip ons.
You probably want to do something with the seat.

The R6 is a shit commuter/tourer. The R6S model is far better suited for that duty.
Or even better...an FZ10.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Intuit: meep meep! The walker horns are useless except coasting behind a pedestrian female and meep meep her.

Turboblew: bought this R6 '17 two weeks ago so I am going to make the most uncomfortable bits more comfortable to ride for an hour or two at a time. Obviously it will never be what can be ridden for hours and hours but thus far only has 150 miles plus about 45 mi reserve.

·
Registered
117 Posts
whoa, did you say your commute is 65 miles ONE way? Props to you :)

Recently weather's been heating back up again at least here in CA, can anyone chime in about base layers that help keep you cool? Because currently, I'm just using regular compression type clothes and it seems like I go through 5 sets a week.

·
Registered
19 Posts
How do you like those bars on the wrists? Yes the seat is on the list.. but clipons and pegs are the immediate priority. Haven't even checked aftermarket vs refoaming options but I would like a white type shade the seat gets roasty sitting in 100F + all day lol.
They def made the ride more tolerable for day to day commuting. I have them along with a set of Grip Puppies and I have been very happy with the setup so far. I doubt they would be as comfortable as the risers you posted since those go up pretty high, but for a pretty much bolt on affair (no issues with cables etc.), I cannot complain.

·
Shiny side up
27 Posts
Hey that's awesome. Revzilla says the helibars dont fit 17+ so I am glad to see it worked.

Big improvement?
Did you have to lengthen cables at all?

Thanks

Here is a couple pictures I took while installing trying to show the difference in bar position. I was also able to set them more straight than tilted inwards.

View attachment 362958

View attachment 362960

·
Registered
19 Posts
I ordered them directly through Helibars themselves. See link below. They made an improvement for me, and would recommend. Just for reference my commute is roughly 50 miles a day total with a mix of street/freeway/traffic.

https://www.helibars.com/products/HeliBars®-TracStar™-handlebar-risers-for-Yamaha-YZF-R6-2008%2donwards/651.html

Hey that's awesome. Revzilla says the helibars dont fit 17+ so I am glad to see it worked.

Big improvement?
Did you have to lengthen cables at all?

Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
The best R6 mod I made for commuting purposes is taking the F4i instead... It's like a Futon in comparison

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
Helibars on my 99 were a big win, 0 degree really helps with neck fatigue especially in traffic.

i mounted a tailbag for the basic gear and spare gas. i bought a set if the usual drape over bags that seem like theyll work for the long trips, but havent tested them yet. cant leave them on the bike like the hardmount cases but they arent too fussy to take on and off. getting the straps set so they hang properly and dont rest on the turn signals is important.

all in all i think the setup is good for touring.. not as easy as the givi systems and similar, but at least plausible.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I will get those Helis as soon as I free up $300. They do look promising. Will need to confirm leg diameter with them since not spec'd.

·
Registered
12 Posts
interested in this topic.

the buell lowering pegs are a good addition as well.

IMO, wind protection/ noise plays very large part in reducing fatigue.

Q

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That is a neat idea.. did it clear the stock muffler or aftermarket?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts