Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Two wheelin fun
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I'm looking to get some feedback. I'm meeting with an investor this Thursday about a start up I've been working on. I'm trying to get into the header/exhaust business. I have been looking at header systems for bikes now and I'm seeing a trend... The markup is ridiculous. My goal is to develop quality hand built headers that will give you a performance increase at decent affordable prices. I know this will take a while to develop a performance header system but I'm trying to find out how the market will perform. When I have a prototype completed and tested how many of you would be interested? I'm not looking for criticism unless it's constructive. Take a look at every other manufacturer out there... They all had to start small... and look where they've gone. So post it up fellas.

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
How exciting? Will all parts be made in house? Or are you planning on outsourcing the manufacturing portion? Also, what is your niche? Gotta have a niche.

·
Two wheelin fun
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm looking to do everything in house... literally... in my garage, and eventually move into a warehouse... Hopefully if everything goes as planned. If my investor decides to follow through with this then I am looking to buy a mandrel pipe bender, a better TIG welder looking at the Miller Dynasty 350 (I currently own the Division 180), and some 304 stainless steel material. I am currently the engineering manager and production control supervisor at a precision sheet metal and machine shop so I'm not doubting my capabilities. A couple years ago I owned a side business fabricating custom turbo kits for 99-04 Mustangs and thanks to the economy we had to shut down.

·
Two wheelin fun
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I looking to see how much interest everyone has on these headers... something to bring to my investor.

·
Just another r6'er
955 Posts
if it could produce anymore power/weight loss then my mid-pipe i may be interested.

·
190rwhp......:eek5
10,295 Posts
Hey mang...do it, and Ill Guinna pig a system for ya...

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
I'm sure with dyno proof and good customer service, along with a quality product everyone would be interested. Shit man, you could make a fortune just selling Y-pipes to eliminate the CATs on these bikes.

And you could also offer services on custom work like modifying headers for people, etc..

Best of luck to you! :cheers

·
Two wheelin fun
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My main concern is producing more power because why would anyone purchase a product that doesn't produce results. I have an 03 R6 so I'll develop a system for this year first. After I have completed a successful design I will venture into different years and models. I'm just tired of working for other successful business owners and I believe it's my time to take a leap into the world and make my mark.

·
10,295 Posts
Good luck to you sir :cheers

I honestly wish you success... and when you get to 3rd gens...keep me in mind...Ive got a lot of experience with riding, power delivery, exhausts...tone, harmonics and pitches of said exhausts as well...

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
if you can figure out how to get the same performance/sound as my full system AND get it to fit inside an AMA approved belly pan without having to insulate or live with a burn mark, i'm down for switching.

the outlet would need to accept aftermarket slipons - unless you're looking at doing your own cans as well (which, at first, i think would be too much to have to worry about).

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
My main concern is producing more power because why would anyone purchase a product that doesn't produce results. I have an 03 R6 so I'll develop a system for this year first. After I have completed a successful design I will venture into different years and models. I'm just tired of working for other successful business owners and I believe it's my time to take a leap into the world and make my mark.
That's a great attitude to have man.

IMO I would go for 06-10 first. I feel like the demand is higher since it has the muffler box and cat. You're gonna have a tough time making significant power over the stock header on the 03. I'm sure you can make more power, but the amount vs the power gain vs price may not be there. It's not like a car where you are replacing a restrictive manifold with header tubes..

Shit man, I spend a LOT of loot on this sport, and my bikes. If I coulda make 5 HP more with a header on my 02, I would have it :fact But the stock one is straight thru and the gains would be minimal, especially for the cost. Now the 06+.. You couldn't possibly make less power with ANYTHING you create.

·
Moderator Narcissist
18,899 Posts
I'm sure with dyno proof and good customer service, along with a quality product everyone would be interested. Shit man, you could make a fortune just selling Y-pipes to eliminate the CATs on these bikes.

And you could also offer services on custom work like modifying headers for people, etc..

Best of luck to you! :cheers
1st and foremost...as far as attracting customers.

Quality would come second, IMO...to get repeat customers and word of mouth advertising.

Customer service also goes along the lines of quality benefits.

:)

·
10,295 Posts
That's a great attitude to have man.

IMO I would go for 06-10 first. I feel like the demand is higher since it has the muffler box and cat. You're gonna have a tough time making significant power over the stock header on the 03. I'm sure you can make more power, but the amount vs the power gain vs price may not be there. It's not like a car where you are replacing a restrictive manifold with header tubes..

Shit man, I spend a LOT of loot on this sport, and my bikes. If I coulda make 5 HP more with a header on my 02, I would have it :fact But the stock one is straight thru and the gains would be minimal, especially for the cost. Now the 06+.. You couldn't possibly make less power with ANYTHING you create.
Some solid advice right there...:fact

·
Registered
111 Posts
Good luck to you. I'm all about getting a leg up over the competitiors. I'd have to agree with starting with the 06- up R6v models as their demand would be higher since they no longer make the R6s models. I would also look into doing titanium midpipes for stock headers or full titanium midpipe and header combo. Good luck

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
I wish you the best of luck!
I would say to make sure you spend a good deal of time on R&D, if you want to make the most power you are going to spend a lot of time doing it.
Guys did this in the car market and make some sick stuff, they started on there own cars when they were in college and now make very nicely engineered headers and manifolds and all kinds of stuff now.
Check them out http://www.full-race.com/
Their headers are a work of art!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts