Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Ramen-whore
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just realized this last week.

My cousin that lives in Arizona(near Apache Junction) got in a bad wreck last week. He was in traffic, waiting for a car to turn, and he decided to go around the car, and he got whacked.

I am not 100% sure on how EXACTLY it happened, however, he got impatient and thought "I can do this no prob"

Well, it ends up this way.

-Immediately he had to be rushed to the hospital, with SERIOUS damage to his cervical vertebrae. They had to perform emergency surgery on his neck to prevent any long-term damage.

-One of the main arteries in his right leg was damaged/pinched, two days later, they had to amputate his leg from the knee-down, as it was not getting any blood.

-Post surgery, he's doing ok, he has feeling in his left leg again, and he can grasp objects a little bit.

He was wearing his lid, but not sure about the rest of the gear.

He had been riding since age five, hes 28 currently. Been on the street since 16.

My verdict is that he got complacent from riding so long, not being on his toes to think, "hey, this may NOT be a good idea, I'll wait a few more seconds"

How often do you guys feel slightly complacent when riding? If I feel that way, the bike goes home.

This whole thing is kind of sobering to me, because the cager wasn't at fault here, he was.

Funny thing is, I'm more patient on my R6 than I am in my car...

·
loves riding his 6
802 Posts
i agree with you. i feel like im getting more impatient and complacent the more i ride. probably have to do with the cockiness too. i am a bit cautious tho.. but there have been times where i knew i should of been more careful.
i know everyone here has had those "oh shit" moments. but those "oh shit" moments can turn real ugly if you dont pay attention to the road.

·
190rwhp......:eek5
10,295 Posts
Yeah, I ride daily and like your bro, been riding for all my life. Theres times when I get a little too far ahead of myself and get out of a situation, then think back on it and say to myself "shouldntve done that"

Thats when I chill the fcuk out...

Sorry for your bro...hope he has a speedy recovery

·
The Big R
736 Posts
Sorry to hear about your cousin man. Am for AZ too. The hot weather probably added to him making that decision.
Hope he gets better soon.
Reading abt this story, just reminded me of how complacent i have been lately.
Just today, i couldnt make it on time for a turn left signal and i decided to go through a gas station instead.
Shit could have happened.
Thanks for your post bro.

·
2,121 Posts
I have sometimes and havent even been riding that long but I tell you what reality quickly taint chops the shit outta me snapping me out of it

·
My R6 eats you.
7,563 Posts
I've had enough close calls to realize you're NEVER safe on the street. I always tiptoe through intersections or anywhere a car can turn in front of me.

·
Ramen-whore
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've had enough close calls to realize you're NEVER safe on the street. I always tiptoe through intersections or anywhere a car can turn in front of me.
Same here man, my buddy says I sometimes take the fun out of riding, because of how serious I am. Not only when it comes to being responsible and paying attention, but also on twisty roads, by taking the safest/best line through turns. ESPECIALLY on blind corners.

I swear I'm a different person when I ride. Off the bike, I'm the most outgoing, wily 22 year-old you'll meet. On the bike, I'm pretty serious at times.

Some people go riding to "clear their head"

I tried that once, to ride and just think about life and whatnot. I find it too hard to be in an introspective state of mind while riding.
Will say, riding does make things better, however I always end up thinking about my riding(Posture, conditions, cages, animals, hazards).

On this forum, the vast majority of you guys promote safety, riding responsibly and within your limits.

I figured I may try and get a bit of awareness about this state of mind.

At times, you are your own worst enemy.

·
YZF-er!
1,727 Posts
:werd

Sorry to hear about your brother, God be with him throughout this ordeal.

·
Jesus Reigns
4,398 Posts
You always gotta ride defensively. Ill give a quick look when going through a intersection, to make sure nobody is running a light or something. Before I ride, I always pray. Can't stress how important that is, and when Im done I thank God for protecting me. I might forget to do it right after I get off, but Ill do it at night before I go to bed. Sometimes it seems almost too easy to go riding, but I know I can never think that, because you never know what car's will be on the road. Always gotta be aware.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yup.. Always wear that helmet. Im sorry to hear aabout your cousin!
My bro got rear ended on his bike and thank god he was wearin a helmet or it wouldnt be the same..
Out there , there is assholes and idiots that dont even look for you. You gotta be careful at all times.
And again..Im sorry about your cousin, Hope him a good and fast recovery.

·
*yawn
27 Posts
I am not going to judge whatever choice your cousin made at the time. I was not there to see exactly what happened. I would not go about saying he was "complacent" considering many state laws allow such maneuvers. The fact that he got hit does not mean he is a bad rider or lost his concentration, or even if he is even at fault. All it means, is someone pulled his number and he paid up.

If we all went through life worring about what could happen to us, and living life conservatively and protecting it, none of us would ride bikes, drink beer, have unprotected sex, piss on electric fences, or buy Ducatis. We are not in control of the natural flow of things. No matter how much you watch, look, and listen, if it's your time to go, you're going.

I've been down before. It was at no fault of my own. I got up, kicked the handlebars straight, and rode home.

I am not a "complacent" rider. I do not forget the fact that every time I toss my leg over the seat, that it could be my last. iPhone4. I don't ****ing care. When you become "complacent" then you truly aren't enjoying the ride anymore...and you might as well look into a "safer" form of transportation or a less dangerous route to take at much lower speeds.

Anyone with an R6 here is guilty of choosing a dangerous hobby. I would not consider you complacent, or blame you should you kiss pavement. It happens. All you have to do if make sure that you've made your peace with who matters most to you. Enjoy.

·
I ate your sister
533 Posts
it happens to all of us.
I once got a little too impatient and went around a car in the highway knowing that there's a serious series of turn and came in way too hot into the turn. I managed to make the turn but that was scary.
Sorry about your cousin.

·
I <3 Slick Mist.
1,378 Posts
Yeah, I ride daily and like your bro, been riding for all my life. Theres times when I get a little too far ahead of myself and get out of a situation, then think back on it and say to myself "shouldntve done that"

Thats when I chill the fcuk out...

Sorry for your bro...hope he has a speedy recovery
Pretty much sums it up right there ^^^

·
formerly usmc08r6
1,313 Posts
there's a saying "complacency kills" and this shows it (i know he wasn't killed but still)

sorry about your cousin man. i never trust anything because you never know what the people around you will do. same thing with riding with people i don't know or haven't ridden with before. never know if somebody will try to stunt right past you as your trying to change lanes or something

1 - 16 of 16 Posts