Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, im just after some honest advise. i dont know that many people with bikes so i thought i would post it up on hear. about april time i came off my first bike which was an r6 (done the equivelent of the msf course) and had a compressed fracture of my vertabrae. i was in hospital for 3 weeks and in a back brace for 2 months. i have seen the doctor recently and he has told me im fully healed and my back is no weaker than before my accident even though i still get the odd twinge and ache. i thinking of getting another bike but something like a fazer for a few years. i was just wondering would anyone else get another bike in my position or would i be being a bit daft getting another. any advise would be great good or bad. sorry for the rant
thanks

·
NOT DoD Blocked
5,605 Posts
R6-SMITH said:
hi all, im just after some honest advise. i dont know that many people with bikes so i thought i would post it up on hear. about april time i came off my first bike which was an r6 (done the equivelent of the msf course) and had a compressed fracture of my vertabrae. i was in hospital for 3 weeks and in a back brace for 2 months. i have seen the doctor recently and he has told me im fully healed and my back is no weaker than before my accident even though i still get the odd twinge and ache. i thinking of getting another bike but something like a fazer for a few years. i was just wondering would anyone else get another bike in my position or would i be being a bit daft getting another. any advise would be great good or bad. sorry for the rant
thanks
I would buy another R6 personally. I've wrecked on mine and I bruised my hip bone and trashed my nerves. Granted that is nothing compared to what you had but I couldn't wait to ride again.

It's just a matter of not letting what happend scare you and change the way you feel about riding.

That's my $0.02

·
Not DoD Blocked
2,339 Posts
if you truely love ridding go for it. I personally would be right back on a bike. but would probable limit myself to the tracks.

·
Forum Moderator
3,103 Posts
After I had my bad highside on the track I though about selling everything and getting out of it. I was laid up for three months with a broken foot in four places, broken hand and a bunch of smaller injuries. Went through four surgeries. Well, the thought only lasted a few weeks after talking to some good friends on the R1 Forum. I had some buddies help me rebuild the R1 and I actually bought my R6 while I was on crutches. The people at the dealership thought I was nuts. If the spark is still there don't let it go out. Enjoy the sport, but wear the gear.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I would personally personally rebuild the bike and get back on the road again. Thats what real man do. they fall and get back up again. I just went down and dislocated my shoulder and am back in the road again. be brave bro.

·
My R6 eats with me
742 Posts
Sorry to hear about your injury. If you love the sport then you'll return to it. That being said, do it when you feel ready. Your nerve will return in no time once you start riding again. Good luck and see ya out there.

·
I Eat Steak
1,809 Posts
Knocking on wood** Lucky for me, i've never been hurt on a bike. But in highschool played football and took a really bad stinger that resulted in a syrinx (sp) which essentially is a small bubble of fluid that runs down the top of my spine. The "danger" with this is that it makes me more prone to nerve related injuries if my spine takes a shot. But now to the point of this little story...I played football again because it's something I loved to do. I graduated without any injury, so am I glad i did it? HELL YEAH. If riding's what you love then don't hinder yourself from being happy. Good luck with the decision and let us know what you decide!

·
Zonly1
802 Posts
Well, first off i'm glad to here that you're still able to walk and that you mad it threw.

okay if you really love riding like i do, the crash wasn't your falt and you still feel in your hart that you not riding out control the yes get another bike.
I like yourself was hurt badly. the crash was no where near my falt. I was wearing all the right gear just in the wrong corner at the wrong time. I live riding abd after recovering and rebuilding my bike I still ride. I still have alot of pain in my back which I think will never go way really. I waiting for a date to get the rods in my back removed to maybe get ride of the pain. i'll attache a link to show you what happened to me. was scared at first but have gotten over it for the most part. Good luck if you need anymore help let me know.

http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31155
http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35109

R6-SMITH said:
hi all, im just after some honest advise. i dont know that many people with bikes so i thought i would post it up on hear. about april time i came off my first bike which was an r6 (done the equivelent of the msf course) and had a compressed fracture of my vertabrae. i was in hospital for 3 weeks and in a back brace for 2 months. i have seen the doctor recently and he has told trol me im fully healed and my back is no weaker than before my accident even though i still get the odd twinge and ache. i thinking of getting another bike but something like a fazer for a few years. i was just wondering would anyone else get another bike in my position or would i be being a bit daft getting another. any advise would be great good or bad. sorry for the rant
thanks

·
2003 R6
691 Posts
I know how you feel dude. I was in a really bad car accident easter morning of 05. Had 4 compressed vertibre and I mean they were ****ing crushed. Also a few broken ribs and a crack all the way across my sternum (car was laying on my chest) lung almost collapsed and a bad contusion on my neck. It took me a little while to even feel comfortable in a car again but now im fine with anything. But honestly man I dont know how bad your was broken but 3 months wasnt even close to enough time for me but I tihnk it was alot worse than yours. Id play it safe for a few more months IMO. You dont want another accident this early and really mess yourself up. Wouldnt want to end up paralyzed man.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the replies the accident was may fault being a bit dumb and trying to keep up with my mate. will have learnt that lesson for next time. cmp007 sorry to hear that, do you still get pain in your back and how long ago was your accident, mine was in april 2006.

·
Dragging Knee
1,604 Posts
I would be back on the bike. I am in a similar situation with my back injury that I got in a mountain biking accident.

I fractured my vertebra, herniated 2 disk, and crushed a nerve. Needless to say I have been riding and living in pain for a year and a half now and will be finally having 3 vertbra fused together in may to fix my back. I will be off the bike for 6months to a year to recover from the surgery but will be jumping back on the first chance I get.

But you will be the one that has to determine if you should continue riding because you have to determine if it is still the right sport for you.

·
Team: Teletubby racing
21,003 Posts
darkstarVIII said:
The Oh sh!t factor was high as hell that day :scared

I'm glad your okay damn!
i did a lot of shittin that day...some in my pants.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hey man I know just what your talking about! I broke five vertabrae about 8 months ago. 4 in my back and 1 in my neck. Also now have 2 rods in my back with screws. I was in a bed for about 3 months with back braces and everything else. I have started riding my R6 again and it does not feel that bad. I still hurt here and there but love riding so i will deal with it. So I would tell you to get an R6 and ride it as much as you can lol JUST BE SAFE!

·
2003 R6
691 Posts
R6-SMITH said:
thanks for the replies the accident was may fault being a bit dumb and trying to keep up with my mate. will have learnt that lesson for next time. cmp007 sorry to hear that, do you still get pain in your back and how long ago was your accident, mine was in april 2006.
M accident was march 27 2005. i still have pain in my back everyday. Doing some things like standing for a long period of time or when im on my bike 4+ hours it gets really bad. I mean its not as bad as it was the first few months or anything but it still gets pretty bad. I had alot of nerve damage is what I think most of the pain is from right now. Not sure how severe yours was but hopefully you heal up faster than I have lol. Good luck with everything dude

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
seems like its not that daft an idea then to get back on. i thought my injuries were pretty basd but its nothing compared to some of you guys. has anyone come off the bike whos had a crushed vertabrae since and how did it hold up because this is my biggest fear coming off again and doing it all again or maybe worse

·
Ride It Like It's Stolen!
1,171 Posts
R6-SMITH said:
If you have to ask your bro's on this forum..then your probably not ready. It's nerves, I understand...like when Rocky Balboa got his ass-whupped by Clubber Lang. (His prediction was pain) Rocky fought through his fear and persevered. This whole thing is mute if you've never seen the movie I'm refferring to...(some of you nerds out there do though)

Anyways whenever you're ready...you'll know. Sounds like a dumb mistake and it also sounds like you're a better rider because of it. Hope to see you out there.

I don't know about you but I have a shit load of fun when I ride my bike. I couldn't give that up.

·
Registered
204 Posts
crashing and injuries are just part of the motorbike package, i say just hop right back on. but you gotta ask yourself what you are getting out of motorcycling, then weigh it out with the consequences.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts