Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone carry while riding? What holsters would you recommend? Shoulder or in-waist? Topic is open for discussion

·
Registered
853 Posts
I think its a bad idea. Managing risk is a large part of my philosophy on riding, and I don't see how carrying a gun would help. Not in my neighborhood anyway. Texas may be a different story.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
does it dig in when you shift weight in the corners? what about the cover, does it ever become visible?

·
Deep Thinker
927 Posts
It does not dig in at all. It is so comfortable I forget it's there. As for poking out, it does create a little lump under my jacket when I'm tucked in behind the windscreen, but there's no way someone would be able to see the gun itself. I don't think people would even notice the lump.

·
Deep Thinker
927 Posts
I think its a bad idea. Managing risk is a large part of my philosophy on riding, and I don't see how carrying a gun would help. Not in my neighborhood anyway. Texas may be a different story.
Carrying it does not affect my attitude or concentration when riding. My pistol is just another tool that I carry every day, along with my cell phone, wallet, pocket knife, keys, and some spare change. I do not think about it. It'll just be there when (if) I need it. Believe me, shooting someone is the last thing on my mind, and something I hope I never have to do.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Believe me, shooting someone is the last thing on my mind, and something I hope I never have to do.
I agree, which is why I don't carry. For me its the best way to manage risk. Its not an issue about guns, its an issue about me... do I trust myself with a gun? Do I know I will never make a poor decision and regret it later? I admire people that can carry without those concerns, or at least feel them to a lesser extent than I.

·
Prove it!
511 Posts
I carry a Kel-Tec Micro 380 P-3AT. http://www.impactguns.com/store/640832000696.html It fits in my pocket and is thin enough not to cause harm during a wreck. Sometimes I also carry one of my other concealment firearms in my ICON bag on my back. This is rare and only for when I take longer trips.

When I first read this the "Mass Attack Liberal Hater Alarm" went off. After reading it a couple more times I may be taking your input incorrectly. Lets see...

First, placing a gun on your person is not in anyway an act of risk. Guns don't go off on their own and present zero harm to a rider carrying the weapon if carried correctly, ie. with a safety on or unchambered so that an impact wont make the gun go off.

Second, owning a gun doesn't mean that you are going to ride around with your gun pointed at every passer by. If you believe this, which I doubt, then you need to quit playing GTA 4. This is a video game and doesn't reflect gun owners.

I agree, which is why I don't carry. For me its the best way to manage risk. Its not an issue about guns, its an issue about me... do I trust myself with a gun? Do I know I will never make a poor decision and regret it later? I admire people that can carry without those concerns, or at least feel them to a lesser extent than I.
I admire people who don't carry because they don't feel they have the control or dedication to stick by a decision. I want to have the ability to protect myself and family from the trash of the world. They are everywhere and growing in numbers daily. Trust me, the trash is spreading and you never know when it will catch up to you.

·
Registered
853 Posts
When I first read this the "Mass Attack Liberal Hater Alarm" went off.
:lmao

I suppose a good analogy would be someone coming on here who prefers sport touring motorcycles because they consider them "less risky" than a sport bike. Then all the sport bike riders would get all huffy about how sport bikes aren't really dangerous, and that its all about the rider. The same goes with guns, its all about the person who carries them. To each his own, I don't think less of anyone who carries a gun, just like I don't think less of someone who rides a sport touring bike instead of a sport bike.

·
Prove it!
511 Posts
:lmao

I suppose a good analogy would be someone coming on here who prefers sport touring motorcycles because they consider them "less risky" than a sport bike. Then all the sport bike riders would get all huffy about how sport bikes aren't really dangerous, and that its all about the rider. The same goes with guns, its all about the person who carries them. To each his own, I don't think less of anyone who carries a gun, just like I don't think less of someone who rides a sport touring bike instead of a sport bike.
Perfect way to put it and a great analogy.

·
Hit It and Quit It
1,717 Posts
It is like American Express I DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT.........
I carry a Kimber Ultra CDP .45 or Glock 23 in a Galco summerset inside the pants holster(SOB)
I do not go anywere without it. If I go somewere that has a 30.06 sign then they do not get my money.........
before I had my CHL,I had 4 gang banger try to jack my truck They shot 2 times and I had no way to protect myself. That will never happen again.....:enforcer:enforcer:rocket:rocket

·
Registered
458 Posts
s+w sigma nine in nyc rig under the shoulder whenever I'm off base

·
Registered
99 Posts
Glock 27 with galco (sob) I don't even notice it and my jacket covers it completely. I sometimes have to give myself a reach around to see if it's still there. Always carry by the way. I hope i never have to use it, but rather have it and not need it you know.

·
I eat YOUR MOM
2,111 Posts
whether its a trips to the city or a walk across the street i am armed, the second amendment, its our right as law biding American citizens. i carry a S&W .38 snub with the crimson trace grips (pocket holster), or Springfield XD9 (inside the pants holster). i carry everywhere so on a bike it is no different.

i've been carrying for 7 years and the gun has never left the holster in a public setting, and if i have my way it never will, imo it is safer to have one and more dangerous not to. i would rather have one and not need it, than need one and not have it! don't let the liberal views on the news and media distort reality. almost all guns involved in murders, crime, and things you hear in the news are illegal, unregistered weapons. the only thing that would happen if we got more of theses "gun laws" which is anti American, will only disarm the innocent civilians and arm the wicked, corrupt, and criminals. because after all they will get them them illegal way anyway!

i'm also a pround member of the NRA!!!!!!!!!! and anyone who owns firearms should be.

·
I like bbq sauce on my R6
2,146 Posts
As the saying goes. It's better to have one and not need it, then need one and not have it.

My boy used to cary on his suzuki, but he had to sell his bike for financial reasons. Never heard of any issues he had.

·
to many toys :-)
457 Posts
does anyone carry while riding? What holsters would you recommend? Shoulder or in-waist? Topic is open for discussion
one of the guys at work his dad went down the other day with his shoulder holster on & it broke three ribs. but he was on a goldwing & got thrown around a bit during the accident.
hes ok now. just my 2 cents :popcorn:

·
Registered
458 Posts
we were once pulled over in MA because a motorist on 495 saw my buddys piece when his shirt blew up and called police. the cops gave us a real hard time thinking we were a bunch of punk kids but they were cool when they realized he was actually licensed to conceal carry. but I'll take a couple minutes of aggravation anyday over the possibilities of needing it and not having..but if u don't have a permit/license keep that sh*t at home and don't ***** it up for the rest of us who do the right thing

·
I eat YOUR MOM
2,111 Posts
but if u don't have a permit/license keep that sh*t at home and don't ***** it up for the rest of us who do the right thing
+1 :stupic you got that one right!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Anytime I get pulled over the first thig I grab is my personal protection permit, just save the hassle. It does suck that Ohio doesn't support concealed carry, I always have to go around. I wonder if there would be a lot less shootings in that state if they allowed the responsible people carry/protect themselves?

1 - 20 of 166 Posts