Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
lolerbaiting
509 Posts
My bike has 32k miles and is an 07. I would see about checking the valves and the other normal wear issues our bikes have....

If its gonna be track only you're probably gonna end up tearing the engine down at some point anyway.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
At what mileage would a rebuild be recommended?
not so much mileage, but do a leakdown and compression test (google these if you don't understand them, covered a bunch though). 15% or more is not good, if you see 10% or more leakdown it could be about time but the bike will run fine but you will have power loss. 5% leak down is pretty darn good but expert racers would consider getting ready to rebuild. 2% is what you would expect to see on a fresh rebuilt engine. (rings, valves, seats cut)
You also want to see compression pretty even between cylinders. 185psi is MINIMUM spec per the manual on a 3rd gen bike.

Mileage is ambiguous too, street mileage is gonna have way less wear per mile vs. racing duty (assuming both maintain the machine, change oil etc).
I hear about bikes with over 50,000 street miles, no major engine issues.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That makes sense. I should have thought of that myself... :(
I was looking at spare engines on eBay just for kicks. It would be nice to have one to tinker with while riding the other.

With any luck I can finagle a deal from the sandbox and have this bike waiting for me when I get back.

Thanks for the info Melk-man.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
That makes sense. I should have thought of that myself... :(
I was looking at spare engines on eBay just for kicks. It would be nice to have one to tinker with while riding the other.

With any luck I can finagle a deal from the sandbox and have this bike waiting for me when I get back.

Thanks for the info Melk-man.
this is the time to look about on some roadrace forums like WERA/CCS, Jenningsgp, etc and look at the used race bikes for sale. Ready to go is often not bad when you consider the cost/time of race prepping a machine. don't rule out the 2nd gen R6. it is a VERY capable race bike for everyone but those fighting for top 5-10 expert wins. and in the rain? i wish i had my 05r6..

stay safe over there ..

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At one time Jennings was close enough (put in quite a few laps there, video example), but now it's clear across the country.
The only issue I have with picking up a pre-build bike is cost. If I can score an '09 for $6500 I can pay cash and slowly aquire parts. I'm not looking to start racing until next year. I just need the essentials for the foreseeable future.
I'm worried a racebike and it's spares/etc. will out of my price range.

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
For the price a used race bike is a great idea.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
many 2 year old race bikes (bikes with 2 seasons on em) can be had for $6500+- .. The MOST i ever paid was $14k for an 08 in early 09. At the time there were ZERO 08's available, and everyone KNEW the 06-07 bikes were inferior. that 08 was pretty trick though. low hour ss built motor, YEC ecu, fully dyno tuned and ready to go with some spares and spare set of wheels.
Even if you spend $9k for a GOOD race bike , no way can you be under that if you buy a street bike for $6500. No way. Full exhaust, bodywork, paint, power commander/ignition module, DYNO TIME, clip ons, case covers, brake lines, SUSPENSION!!! Holy f u c k.. no way will you be into that $6500 street bike for under $9k

·
When in doubtThrottle out
5,058 Posts
At one time Jennings was close enough (put in quite a few laps there, video example), but now it's clear across the country.
The only issue I have with picking up a pre-build bike is cost. If I can score an '09 for $6500 I can pay cash and slowly aquire parts. I'm not looking to start racing until next year. I just need the essentials for the foreseeable future.
I'm worried a racebike and it's spares/etc. will out of my price range.
In November 12, I picked up a 2009 R6 race built for $6200. Ohlins cartridges and shock, motion pro throttle, brembo master cylinder, ss lines, woodcraft clip ons/rearsets/case covers, pcIII, full Akrapovic Ti exhaust, Marchesini Mag wheels. If you're patient and look often you can pick up a good deal on a used race bike that already has the bells and whistles.

·
I have nothing to say
137 Posts
My bike has over 50k and it runs strong like bull!

·
Registered
211 Posts
36K on my 2005 and it runs strong. Worst problem I had wasn't even with the engine... the coils failed around 20-25k. My bro has 53k on his R1 and no problems either.

Work them down really low on the price "cuz the miles are SO HIGH." But you probably won't have any problems with the engine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts