Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
I Am THE Reaper
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there is a thread for something kinda like this but I've been feeling really depressed the last couple weeks because my baby is all locked up in a shed barricaded by snow so I cant even calm myself down by enjoying a nice ride. Plus my dad suffered a massive heart attack and has been in the hospital since early sunday morning. My best friend just shipped out to the army so I basically lost my brother (he would live with me every weekend since april due to his family problems). Im not really sure what the point of this thread is but I dont have anyone to really talk to and were all like a big family in a sick twisted way. All I'm trying to say is I just wanted to get it out cause I know it's good to talk bout stuff instead of holding it in. Im not looking for sympathy but maybe hearing other stories like mine or how your bike makes you feel better when you have a bad day or week.

If you've had a shitty day and turned your phone off and just went out on a ride to wherever to lift your spirits, let it out here.

Or if you just want to share something that's been bothering you and need to talk about it, we should all be able to help each other out and make each other feel better about whats bothering you.

This is in no way "gay" so if you dont have anything nice to say, just keep it to yourself cause Im in no mood to hear jokes here.

·
I can ban you
33,575 Posts
it is good to vent... we lost some people that were close to us.. pretty much out of nowhere..

I'm glad you opened up and shared..

but remember there is more to life than our bikes.. sure they can help relieve stress/anger/etc

but you have to find other things that can help you with this.. (you won't have your bike forever)

·
I Am THE Reaper
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I usually listen to music or play Black Ops but nothing beats the feeling of a nice breeze on your face and the open road with the sound of my bike. (The reason i look to it for such comfort is cause id rather ride then go buy drugs and snort myself stupid...which Ive been doing good staying away from it.)

·
Mario J's Apple Juice
8,180 Posts
Shouldn't really ride when your emotions are high. I try not to but when it really gets back I need to get out.

I had a bad incident at work a couple of weeks ago, being a server in training I messed up a couple of tickets and had the customer yelling at me while trying to figure out who had what because all 11 of them wanted separate checks. So I took a trip from Orlando to St. Pete, about an hour and a half ride. Not even 1/4th of the way there I was starting to feel better already.

Being on the bike, you ignore everything else. It's all about you and the road, you can't even answer your cellphone without pulling over or slowing down.

·
I Am THE Reaper
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys...i just had a lot happen all at once but i always get bak on my feet.

·
Registered
73 Posts
sorry to hear about your problems. I can say that I am in a way better mood during the summer cause you know why (the bike). The other day I heard some great tunes on the radio and I was like, man I can't wait to put that on the Ipod and go out riding but NO! the roads are like crap still. It totally puts me down to know I am stuck on 4 wheels for another 4 months.

·
Zoom on a Yamaha
82 Posts
I know how you feel brother.

I recently lost my Grandmother a few days before thanksgiving. Its a terrible feeling, I use to see her every Christmas morning and my mom always made a feast of pancakes. I will never again have the feeling of those it dampens the holidays. I did how ever go on a cruise with the love of my life on new years eve then later spent the evening with her family. I also am losing a friend that I call a brother, being one of my best friends since I moved here 7 years ago shared many great moments but he leaves Sunday to be a career firefighter in Charleston, SC. He is following his dream.

If you ever need to talk I am all ears even tho I am still young I've been put through a lot in my life.

Best Wishes my friend.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles, I too am going through some stuff and it would be great to let it out. Unfortunately I don't want to worry my family and friends with my troubles. I just hope this economy picks up soon, everything I have is tied into my business, my family depends on me, and the thought of letting them down is too much to bear at times. 4 months to spring seems like an eternity....

·
Is this a segment?
17,688 Posts
You're doing good just by posting this thread and putting it out there - the first sign that you'll get through a trying time is the wanting to.

I've struggled with various stages of depression over younger years - I had a pretty difficult childhood - barely having a roof over our heads at times. We never had a lot but had a lot of mouths to feed. My oldest brother died when he was a toddler, I watched as my oldest sister was taken from our home on a stretcher after a failed suicide attempt, the only uncle I ever knew put a gun in his mouth shortly after being released from prison for drug manufacturing charges, when I was ~15 - a week after our dog was either hit by a car or kicked by a horse and came home with his eyeball hanging out of his socket - my dad was diagnosed with cancer in his face. After a difficult 2 year battle, there was no more fight left in his 80 lb body and I lost my father before I turned 18. Him lying on his death bed was the second time I can remember seeing my parents in the same room together.
That doesn't include the MANY mistakes I made on my own to make my life more difficult and that's only up to about a year before I decided to make something different out of my life.

The hard part is finding the want for something different - you've crossed that bridge already.
What I do when I'm feeling down is look for any way I can improve MYSELF. I get a great reward from the feeling of accomplishment whether the task is big or small - just knowing that I can do something gives me that fire again.
I might work on a project, I might just read about something I didn't know before, I might try to be that friend I'm missing for somebody else.

Keep your head up but feel what you need to feel. When you're feeling down, accept it. In today's society people want to push that away because it's not "normal" ...but it's natural.
And remember that without the rainy days - you wouldn't know to appreciate the sunshine.

·
Registered
73 Posts
dear Imaking20,
I enjoyed reading that. Thanks and I am sure the OP appreciates that very much. Not to sound shallow or anything but the dog story is super sad. I guess I have a weak spot for animals.

·
Dangerously Irish
9,550 Posts
I'm not going to touch on my life, but I'll say your doing better then me kid. The only thing I have left is my bike & with the way things are going it's hard as hell not to do myself in.... The only time I know peace is when I'm on the 6, but no matter how fast I ride or how far I can never escape me or my problems.

Long as someone loves you, your fine & everything will workout in the end.

·
Is this a segment?
17,688 Posts
dear Imaking20,
I enjoyed reading that. Thanks and I am sure the OP appreciates that very much. Not to sound shallow or anything but the dog story is super sad. I guess I have a weak spot for animals.
I am an open book on stuff like that if there's a chance it can help someone else :fact

Tell me about it with the dog, it was just insult to injury that my dad's dog got nailed a week before he found out he had cancer :lmao

·
I'm Gonna Victory!
6,448 Posts
You're doing good just by posting this thread and putting it out there - the first sign that you'll get through a trying time is the wanting to.

I've struggled with various stages of depression over younger years - I had a pretty difficult childhood - barely having a roof over our heads at times. We never had a lot but had a lot of mouths to feed. My oldest brother died when he was a toddler, I watched as my oldest sister was taken from our home on a stretcher after a failed suicide attempt, the only uncle I ever knew put a gun in his mouth shortly after being released from prison for drug manufacturing charges, when I was ~15 - a week after our dog was either hit by a car or kicked by a horse and came home with his eyeball hanging out of his socket - my dad was diagnosed with cancer in his face. After a difficult 2 year battle, there was no more fight left in his 80 lb body and I lost my father before I turned 18. Him lying on his death bed was the second time I can remember seeing my parents in the same room together.
That doesn't include the MANY mistakes I made on my own to make my life more difficult and that's only up to about a year before I decided to make something different out of my life.

The hard part is finding the want for something different - you've crossed that bridge already.
What I do when I'm feeling down is look for any way I can improve MYSELF. I get a great reward from the feeling of accomplishment whether the task is big or small - just knowing that I can do something gives me that fire again.
I might work on a project, I might just read about something I didn't know before, I might try to be that friend I'm missing for somebody else.

Keep your head up but feel what you need to feel. When you're feeling down, accept it. In today's society people want to push that away because it's not "normal" ...but it's natural.
And remember that without the rainy days - you wouldn't know to appreciate the sunshine.
Quoted for importance...

It really is tough sometimes to see what its all worth. I have been battling my own issues for years and know exactly what its like to just need some kind of outlet to give your mind a break.

Sorry to hear a bout your dad, and your buddy, but keep positive for both of them. they will need your support.

Ike, I am sorry to hear about your Dad, and your uncle. I can relate somewhat. Not entirely, but my neighbor who was like an older brother to me killed himself in 2004, the same day my mothers aunt died and she was always around when we were growing up. shortly after that i started getting really heavy into drugs, everything and anything. I was an addict within months and eventually it all fell apart. I finally got clean, but its the little things that meant the most. just being able to d something as simple as laundry felt good, and hell reminding myself that i still had clothes to wash felt even better, but i sold everything to afford my habit, literally everything. When i got clean i literally had a bed at my parents house some clothes and my guitar. that was it. i made it i was proud of that, then my best friend of 15 years took his own life because he could not escape the life. he served time and got clean made it 6 months out but felt like he didn't belng anymore. That was tough to hear. his father told me and my buddy that he just didnt feel like we cared about him anymore.... I was a wreck for months after that, then i lost another good friend and it felt like it was all spiraling downward, but it didnt.

The little things are what hold it all together. a good movie (sometimes it really helps), a walk, going somewhere unfamiliar and having a conversation with a complete stranger, shit that you would never think could have that much of an impact leave you feeling better.

As much as its not macho to go to therapy thats BS... think of it like a friend only they are completely impartial. they are not there to uncover past experiences, they are not there to judge you, they are there to listen to you and give you an outside perspective that everyone you know had probably already tried to tell you, but they remain unbiased so it means more...

Seriously this thread is a great first step. sometimes being down can lead to depression and sometimes being depressed can make being down even worse, but i firmly believe that just saying whats wrong or typing it can really help your own understanding of whats bothering you so you can start to let your mind think about more positive things, and the more mundane and unimportant the task is, sometimes the more satisfying it is to accomplish when everything in life sucks...

Good Luck Brotha, just dont ever forget that tomorrow is always a new day and things can turn around in the blink of an eye.

Life is difficult, but if it wasn's it wouldnt be worth the struggle, and you wouldnt be able to recognize the good.

·
I Am THE Reaper
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you ever need to talk I am all ears even tho I am still young I've been put through a lot in my life.

Best Wishes my friend.
I appreciate it bro...its good to know i have a place to come and feel comfortable talking about stuff..and i know what you mean by being young and through a lot cause i too have had quite a few life experiences so im here for ya too.

As for everyone else, thank you for your condolences and Im usually the one who helps/comforts my friends when they're feeling down, but its my time to ask for the help and you guys have definitely made me feel better.

This is like a therapy thread for all us guys which have more problems then we should...

·
slow guy
4,409 Posts

Quoted for importance...

It really is tough sometimes to see what its all worth. I have been battling my own issues for years and know exactly what its like to just need some kind of outlet to give your mind a break.

Sorry to hear a bout your dad, and your buddy, but keep positive for both of them. they will need your support.

Ike, I am sorry to hear about your Dad, and your uncle. I can relate somewhat. Not entirely, but my neighbor who was like an older brother to me killed himself in 2004, the same day my mothers aunt died and she was always around when we were growing up. shortly after that i started getting really heavy into drugs, everything and anything. I was an addict within months and eventually it all fell apart. I finally got clean, but its the little things that meant the most. just being able to d something as simple as laundry felt good, and hell reminding myself that i still had clothes to wash felt even better, but i sold everything to afford my habit, literally everything. When i got clean i literally had a bed at my parents house some clothes and my guitar. that was it. i made it i was proud of that, then my best friend of 15 years took his own life because he could not escape the life. he served time and got clean made it 6 months out but felt like he didn't belng anymore. That was tough to hear. his father told me and my buddy that he just didnt feel like we cared about him anymore.... I was a wreck for months after that, then i lost another good friend and it felt like it was all spiraling downward, but it didnt.

The little things are what hold it all together. a good movie (sometimes it really helps), a walk, going somewhere unfamiliar and having a conversation with a complete stranger, shit that you would never think could have that much of an impact leave you feeling better.

As much as its not macho to go to therapy thats BS... think of it like a friend only they are completely impartial. they are not there to uncover past experiences, they are not there to judge you, they are there to listen to you and give you an outside perspective that everyone you know had probably already tried to tell you, but they remain unbiased so it means more...

Seriously this thread is a great first step. sometimes being down can lead to depression and sometimes being depressed can make being down even worse, but i firmly believe that just saying whats wrong or typing it can really help your own understanding of whats bothering you so you can start to let your mind think about more positive things, and the more mundane and unimportant the task is, sometimes the more satisfying it is to accomplish when everything in life sucks...

Good Luck Brotha, just dont ever forget that tomorrow is always a new day and things can turn around in the blink of an eye.

Life is difficult, but if it wasn's it wouldnt be worth the struggle, and you wouldnt be able to recognize the good.
Quoted for truth....

the last 4 years have been a roller coaster ride for me. I was married, had a decent job and my wife got pregnant(high point) baby was born and healthy(even higher point) then that summer I went back to my old work, work slowed and my wife began drinking. Eventually work got so slow i started interviewing and had to turn down multiple traveling jobs as the money wasn't there for me to travel 5 days a week. All while this was going on my wife was hiding her addiction. I started to find bottles hidden everywhere, she was drinking and driving and she was going out on weekends. I eventually changed jobs again to the current employer, I was happy, the job was challenging and my co-workers respected me. My home life was a wreck though, my wife was drunk when she got home til we went to bed. She was buying flasks after work and drinking and driving. I found cabinets full of empty bottles, she was hiding booze in her trunk. I figured this out because she would go outside to "smoke" a lot more often. the kids where all doing good, thankfully. But, we where fighting damn near on a daily basis. I ended up going to my family doctor and talking to him about my temper and my home life. He suggested conseling for my wife and myself and put me on a low dosage of anti-depressant. my wife refused conseling as she felt they would just say it was all her fault. I pleaded and she continued to refuse, I was working nights also so she was starting to complain about that. Even though it was making life easier on us both with the kids. it all came to a head when I found a pipe and bag of weed in my truck, that was the last straw for me. I demanded a paternity test, drug test and answers. She freaked out, but my point was made. A few more months past and she said she needed out/her own place. I told her if she moves out our marriage is over, I was done with her BS. She spent my weekends off at the bar, while I watched the kids, if I wanted to go visit friends she complained. In the end she moved out, we got divorced and life is slowly getting better for the both of us. Life still sucks, I'm back on meds, my daughter is my life and my family has my back........and for some dumb reason i miss my ex wife:(

·
I'm Gonna Victory!
6,448 Posts
I appreciate it bro...its good to know i have a place to come and feel comfortable talking about stuff..and i know what you mean by being young and through a lot cause i too have had quite a few life experiences so im here for ya too.

As for everyone else, thank you for your condolences and Im usually the one who helps/comforts my friends when they're feeling down, but its my time to ask for the help and you guys have definitely made me feel better.

This is like a therapy thread for all us guys which have more problems then we should...
Just don't assume its a substitution for therapy if its needed... Cheer up man, life has a funny way of proving to you how great it is just after it shows how shitty it can be.

·
You wanna touch my what?
1,307 Posts
Just don't assume its a substitution for therapy if its needed... Cheer up man, life has a funny way of proving to you how great it is just after it shows how shitty it can be.
Funny as it sounds--I'm a huge fan of therapy. I've been married for 13 years...it's a lot of work. Then factor in kids, mortgage(s), bad days at work, a near death experience..it's weird, because it's never one big thing, but the small things that add up over time. Sometimes it's nice to throw out your drama to a third party, and learn that it's not your fault. The catch to that is you need to be able to hear that you may (or may not) be partially to blame for things sometimes to.

I remember a friend of mine once telling me life is like a big tall ladder. If all you do is look at the top step, it can be to scary to even get on the 1st rung.

I had a close friend of mine call me one day at work rambling (like he always did). Dude did this like once a week, but I was usually at home so it was no big deal. The day he called me I was in the middle of a bunch of things and simply didn't have the time. I asked him a few times if I could call him back and he never heard me, just kept talking so I hung up. I found out later he had shot himself in the head about 15 minutes later. It took a long time for me to believe that me hanging up on him didn't cause him to kill himself. He made that decision before he ever dialed my number. But I think about it every day. Slow down, look around, and understand that bad things happen to good people--sometimes for no apparent reason. Don't ask how I know..

·
RIDE, SURF, L )VE
12,698 Posts
since im not a therapist i can offer you this...if your life is in a bad place, change it. surround yourself with all the positive you can find. by that i mean, if riding is your way to blow off steam, move somewhere you can ride year round. therapy comes in all shapes and colors...if riding is what saves your day and helps you stay afloat, ride everyday. im sure it's tough, but consider putting yourself in a better place and a position to succeed by surrounding yourself with the ability to do what you love every single day

1 - 20 of 72 Posts