Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are probably hundreds of threads about this but I have read plenty of em and I’m still a bit confused...:confused:
I have a ‘03 R6 and I am due for a chain/sprocket change but I really don’t know what to buy..
from what I understand the R6’s from stock have a 532 chain but no aftermarket brands make 532 but 530.
Now, what exactly do I have to buy to be as closest to stock without getting to much involved with speedo healers and things like that? if I can avoid getting a speedo healer I don’t mind but I would rather not...and also if I do a 520 conversion that many (probably most of you) have done what will my top speed be? and im asking that because during summer I do a lot of trips and I wouldn’t want to be doing 80-90mph with the rpms at 13000...:thumbdown

so if someone could help out and give some valuable info not only for me but probably for others that have the sam bike as me it would be very much appreciated...
Steve

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
You could always go +1 up front and -2 in the rear. You'll hit 100mph in 6th at like 4k. Gas sipper.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, so if I install a 116 link DID X-ring chain with 16 tooth front sprocket and 48 tooth rear would I be ok??

·
Look But Don't Touch
68 Posts
every rider i know swears by the 520, thats my next mod, how often do u top 150 on the street

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
every rider i know swears by the 520, thats my next mod, how often do u top 150 on the street
well spring is coming up and i do a lot of road trips with friends and its not much that i want to be able to go 150 but i wouldn't want to be riding at 100mph with the rpms at 15k..my bike is not used as a track bike nor do i go to the track at all, its used on a daily basis and I'm not really after getting more acceleration out of my bike by loosing top speed.. I know the 520 kit is probably one of the best mods to be done but it has big downside for me.. ;)

·
Registered
597 Posts
Just because you convert to a 520 chain doesn't mean you have to change gearing. You can get factory gearing and not have to worry about your speedo at all. Granted it will probably cost you the same to change gearing and get a little more performance out of your bike.

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
Change the sprockets as well as the chain...

I've got the identical bike to you (03 silver...well, was silver) and this has been my hands down favorite mod (besides my paint and rims).

I've got a driven kit with a black ek chain. Chain is a 520 pitch with 15T front sprocket and 50T rear. I've also got a speedohealer

If you go that route, you wont regret it.

i'd guess the bike would go about 150 on top now instead of 163 but who cares...kills you just as fast

·
Registered
277 Posts
ok, so if I install a 116 link DID X-ring chain with 16 tooth front sprocket and 48 tooth rear would I be ok??
That's what I did and feels the same as stock. I'm still in two minds about the 520 conversion.

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
I'm on my second 520 kit with 15/50 sprockets...

First kit i put on at about 4,000 miles and changed at 22000 miles...so, got a good 18K out of the kit. New one is gonna be the same...

dont hesitate...just change it and go with a 520 and 15/50 sprockets

·
Dangerously Irish
9,550 Posts
140 is that all??:eek5
How many time you have you gone that fast on street bro?:eek5

converting to a 520 chain has NOTHING to do with your top end speed. changing the number of teeth on your sprockets to something different than stock will change your speed.
^ This, a 520 chain is just lighter then stock, Some say last longer too, others say it doesn't last as long. Personally I find a 520 with a sprocket change best suited for track.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Change the sprockets as well as the chain...

I've got the identical bike to you (03 silver...well, was silver) and this has been my hands down favorite mod (besides my paint and rims).

I've got a driven kit with a black ek chain. Chain is a 520 pitch with 15T front sprocket and 50T rear. I've also got a speedohealer

If you go that route, you wont regret it.

i'd guess the bike would go about 150 on top now instead of 163 but who cares...kills you just as fast
my exact setup - the speedohealer.

One question, when i got the bike it had a 52t in the back, i switched it to 15t/50t since that is -1,+2 from stock, have you ever though about dropping 2 more and going back to stock in the back, as that would be -1,+2 for the newer gen R6 since their stock is 16t/46t.
Or do you like the 48t.
Cause i like it for the most part with 48 but sometime i do find myself wishing i could drop the rpm just a little so i can cruise at like 45 without keeping the rpms either too high or too low.

·
Jesus Reigns
4,398 Posts
Don't forget if you don't want to change anything and are having a hard time finding a 532 chain (which Ive had trouble searching for too) go to your closest dealer and tell them you need an OEM chain and sprockets

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
my exact setup - the speedohealer.

One question, when i got the bike it had a 52t in the back, i switched it to 15t/50t since that is -1,+2 from stock, have you ever though about dropping 2 more and going back to stock in the back, as that would be -1,+2 for the newer gen R6 since their stock is 16t/46t.
Or do you like the 48t.
Cause i like it for the most part with 48 but sometime i do find myself wishing i could drop the rpm just a little so i can cruise at like 45 without keeping the rpms either too high or too low.
I'm not followin ya fully...

stock for our bike is 16/48...i personally think its a waste if you had a 15/48 cause it'll feel pretty much stock.

I dont have a problem cruisin around 5-6K at 45mph

a 15/52 would be too much but i think a 15/50 is perfect

1 - 17 of 17 Posts