1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
The GodFather
7,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This contest is for 2 FRIDAYS

Friday: Nov. 16, 2007 / Friday: Nov. 23, 2007

RULES:

Post stories and pictures of your first bike and or riding experience only one post reply per member. Include links, pictures and info only. Remember only ONE (1) post per member in this contest (you can sign up for other days also), you must reply to THIS thread only. You are encouraged to post up images and stories. The better the presentation the better shot at WINNING! Each post will allow 10 attatchments and you can also use outside image hosting to put up more if needed.

Prize: Komodo Ceno Jacket - 2 , one each Friday listed.

http://www.tobefast.com/komodo-ceno-...1-pr-1503.html

Winners will be selected by R6-forum.com Administrative staff (everyone else is eligiable to enter). Each winner will and notified accordingly and posted in this first post on each thread. Winners will be able to select bike types and colors available and we reserve the right to replace it with a comparable price items if sizing, colors, types cannot be obtained.

PLEASE ONLY REPLY WITH CONTESTS ENTRIES. NO COMMENTING ON OTHERS POSTS (IF YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT SOMETHING POSTED IN THE CONTESTS DROP A OFF TOPIC OR GENERAL THREAD UP
)

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Re: CONTESTS= Friday: Nov. 9, 2007 / Friday: Nov. 16, 2007

I had always wanted a bike but my parents were 100% completely against it. After convincing, and convincing, and taking the msf, i was finally able to use our high schools senior project as an "excuse" to pick up the bike- a 1999 EX250. I said was going to learn how to "paint" the bike and do basic maintenance. I was told i couldnt ride and had to sell it after my project. I agreed. My dad even loaned me part of the money i needed to buy it.
I eventually changed my senior project to "motorcycle safety" and did my entire report on that. I rode the bike when my dad was at work.

I rode it ANY chance i got..even when it was snowing!

Eventually my dad caught me and found out i was riding it...he ended up putting a chain through my rear tire.
More convincing and complaining...everytime i saw him i mentioned the bike. Like all parents, he gave in. I got it insured and rode it everywhere...and heres where the story changes...

It started off last summer. I turned 18, graduated, and was finally able to purchase a brand new bike. I joined this forum long before then because i always had my eye on a raven r6, but couldnt get approved to finance one. I ended up getting approved at the local Kawasaki dealer and got a brand new ZX6R right off the showroom floor. Got an ICON alliance SS helmet, alpinestars smx gloves, and a mesh alpinestars jacket

Ebony in color...it was my baby and my everything. Washed and waxed it wayyy too much, and took it everywhere. 1200 miles and 23 days was all i had it. I lost the front end in the local twistes, going between 60-75. bike slid off the road and flipped multiple times, i had on all my gear, jeans and regular shoes. When i crashed, i couldnt believe it at first. I was afraid to move in fear of something broken or hurt. This feeling only lasted a few seconds but it felt like forever. I jumped up, only had one shoe on, and ran to my bike, which was pretty far away. I picked it up, found my other shoe, and immediatly started looking at the damage...broken triple, bent rotor, EVERY SINGLE FAIRING BROKEN OR SCRATCHED. I was pissed... Eventually the cops came and tried DRAGGING MY BIKE IN THE DIRT ON ITS SIDE- until i yelled and lifted it up. Three of us drug it into a clearing...
He filed a report, and took me home. I had him drop me off at the end of my block, because i didnt want my mom to get all afraid and upset if i called her, or if she saw a chp officer taking me home. Luck was against me, my mom was going for a walk..saw the chp and freaked out...she was asking where my bike was and what happened. I kept telling her i was fine, i had on my gear, etc. and that i needed to borrow her truck. I brought the bike home...my only form of transportation was now a bunch of bent a twisted metal.

The only "injury" i had was on my left arm

this was only due to the fact that my jacket was a 2xl and too big. The armor inside of the arm shifted and caused it to scrape.

this picture shows how the armor isnt where it should be-

i got it because im 6'3" and 165lbs, and it felt comfortable at the time...now its time to get a properly fitting jacket

Anyways, a few months after i wrecked this, i started parting it, and did the impossible...i convinced my dad to co-sign for me to get another loan...this is when i picked up my dream bike..not a raven..but close...a 2007 graphite color r6...and a icon mainframe hooligan helmet. Full coverage this time...and i pay for everything.

Ive been riding this bike every single day-
From when i go to work in the morning- 37F-40F
to my days off when i just go cruise around. Did my first service myself, and changed the oil twice since then. The bike has 2400 miles on it and counting. I plan on getting some track time in this upcoming year! i cant wait...

And that concludes the beginning of my riding career, as there is much more to come..hope you enjoyed the story..

cliff notes-
had a 250, sold it to get a zx6r, wrecked it, got some rash because my jacket was, and is still too big, but i cant afford a new one yet cause all my money goes to two bike payments, and my insurance bill.

thanks for reading!

WINNER: lunchbox101 Week 2, Please send all of your contact details, size and first and second color choice in a PM to SpidermanSS. Congrats!

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts

My first streetride was a 2002 Roadstart Warrior. I had been wanting a streetbike for years! The warrior came out and I never thought I would get a sportbike so I got the Warrior. I loved that sucker! That was until I rode and FZ1 and the bought my 03 R1 I did more street riding on that Warrior than any bike I have had. I rode that sucker everywhere! My first read ride on it was an interstate trip to an AMA Flattrack race in Charlotte N.C. I had the bike maybe a month or less and I was off to a 5 hour interstate trip to Charlotte from Atlanta. That was one tough ride but at the same time a ton of fun! I felt like a parachute riding that thing and it was actually alot more difficult that I expected, but I was glad I did it. Riding it back I think we averaged 85-90 mph and that sucker was sucking gas!! hahahaha. I had to fill up every 100 miles or so.

Man I miss that bike now. I don't do much street riding anymore and that would be a cool bike to have again. I sold it to get my R6 racebike a couple years ago so I can't complain to much.

Here are some pics!

Attachments

·
NOT DoD Blocked
5,605 Posts
The first motorcycle that I ever owned is still my current bike. It is a 2003 YZF R6. I have hardly been afforded the opportunity to ride it due to my being deployed to Iraq. I purchased this motorcylce back in May while I was over here. I had been wanting a motorcycle for years but because I was married at the time I couldn't afford it and the ex-wife didn't approve. In February of this year my ex-wife left me while I was in Iraq and the first thing that I thought of after the initial shock was "I can get a motorcycle now!" I know how that sounds but I wanted one that bad. My bike was the best thing to come of my getting divorced and I would pick my R6 over my ex-wife ANY TIME NO MATTER WHAT!

I had been looking at bikes for sale on the internet for years and starting in March I was actually looking to buy. When May came around I finally found "The Bike" for me. I contacted the seller via email and explained my situation and told him that I had the $5,500 readily available to give to him if he would just hold the bike for a day so I could get someone to go look at it in person for me. Lucky for me he agreed and my father met up with him the following day. I was told that the bike was in great condition and I agreed to purchase it from him. Finally my dream had come true and I owned my own motorcycle and it was my R6 that I had dreamed of for years!

Even though I was out of the country I immediately started buying mods for the bike and all of my safety equipment. I even registered for a MSF course that ran during the time that I would be home on my 2 weeks leave that I got. I bought a SHOEI RF-1000 Cutlass helmet, Icon Tarmac Jacket, Icon Superduty gloves, and some off the wall riding boots. Everything in either blue or white to match the bike that I had been blessed with. I bought a PUIG DB windscreen, flush mount front turn signals, and cateye turn signals for the rear.

I left Iraq to go on leave on July 30th and after two days of constant traveling,unbearable anticipation, and about 6 total hours of sleep I arrived home in Saint Louis at about 10am on August 1st. My family was slightly taken back when they first saw me b/c the first thing out of my mouth was "Where is my bike? I want to go ride it. Oh yeah, hi mom!" I have to say they weren't the biggest fans of that but they entertained my eagerness by taking me to my fathers to see my ride.

I knew that I should have gotten some sleep but after seeing my pride and joy but there was absolutely no way that I was going to go to sleep with it sitting out in the garage in perfect working order. I ran upstairs opened all of my boxes, put on all of my gear and set out on my first ride on my new motorcycle. I rode from about noon to six in the evening only stopping for traffic lights and gas. I later stopped to eat dinner with the family and then I was off again riding until about 10 at night when I finally pulled up back to my house where I went inside and went to sleep. And go figure I dreamed of riding my motorcycle that night.

The next morning I was up and ready to ride up to my moms work so I could be the item of show and tell. After about a 20 minute enjoyable ride down the interstate and up onto the service road I pulled onto the last street before my final destination. I got up to about 60 MPH on a 55 MPH road. When I was coming up on a business driveway some guy in a silver grand prix was getting ready to pull out and he did right in front of me, without looking left. I immiediately tried to do an emergency stop using both brakes but I quickly reaized that I was not going to stop in time. I then chose the lesser of two evils and I decided to put the bike down and give myself a chance rather than just run into the moron *cough* guy. I didn't get out from under the bike before we hit the pavement at about 50-55 MPH and I took the full weight of the impact on my left hip. Lucky for me when I hit the ground the bike and myself seperated without complications and both went off into the grass avoiding the car entirely. I did trash my gloves. mess up my jacket pretty bad, got some pretty nasty rash on my hip, bruised my hip bone, and trashed my nerves in my hip but it could have been much much worse. The other driver being the considerate person that he was floored it and left the scene.

The very next day I trailered my bike (with assistance) over to the stealership and got it in to be fixed with a rush on the parts. I couldn't lose anymore days of riding since I only had those 15 days in the states this year. The accident ended up costing me $1,300 to fix the bike mechanically due to a trashed rotor stator and some other things. But getting my bike back 5 days later and getting to riding it again was the most wonderful time ever.

I am still healing but I can't wait to get back, paint my bike, and ride again. There isn't a thing that wil deter me from riding. I LOVE MY R6!!

As a note the pics of the bike w/o me on it were taken before the accident and the others were taken about a week afterwards. Oh and the kids aren't mine those are my niece and nephew. I know the one pic is blurry sorry but that is the only one that I have of my hip. That was about a week after the wreck.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,337 Posts

I had always ALWAYS wanted two wheels. I love bikes since i was able to sit in front of my dad and give his 1983 Honda somthing or nother gas and help him turn..
The grandma found out of such events and my dreams were smashed untill i was 18.
Ended up landing a 2000 honda XR 250 dirt bike. and i was all hell from there.
I rode dirt till I had to get my back operation. Scoliosis correction. 12 hours of having my spine broke, chipped, yanked on, moved, screwed, and two bars placed on each side. So pretty much ended anything i loved doing that didnt involve the couch.

So a few years go by and im at the age of 23 i think, finaly had a job that i could save easily enough with out going broke..

I had a decent chunk of change already saved up and I wanted a bike. BAD.
looked and looked and nothing Well as im banging threw google, i find this place. And if luck were to ever be on my side, it was that day.

TexasR6 had just placed his silver bike up for sale like one day before i found this forum, and he only lived 3 hours away. So after about 2 days of talking, i load the truck and trailer up and run off the dallas. after a few hours and some tears from mom 'didnt want me having it. I had my first bike.

I got the bike with about 7k miles i think. I got the bike in Aug. and by Dec when I got rid of it, I had about 27k miles on the display...
I rode it everyware!!
So Jan comes, and i score my second bike... a 2006 R6s

Rode this one a little less, but as much as i could. I got it in jan 06 and i stopped ridding it in Oct 07
I have right at 29k miles i think in the display..
So now im on my 3rd, and so far my most fav one.
I brought home a 07 Dark Grey07 R6...
No pics yet, but soon! I have to wait till Im done here soon modding it! lol

so bascily 2 bikes in a little over 2 years i have over 50k miles!
Not too bad! hehe

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
could a mod maybe add this to my other post? if anyones interested, heres a better pic of my arm a few days after

thanks

·
Dibba daba
3,067 Posts
Orig. Thread dated 12Nov05

http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20376

I had bought my 2005 R6 as my first bike in August. so 3 months total riding up to this point I have seen 2 crashes in front of me. 1 being a friend into a rock wall by a dam in out local area, the 2nd my other friend in the back of a benz (both R6's...both bought same day as me)

I now go on this group ride about 1.5 hrs away from home put on by a local forum, and im #3 or 4 in the pack if i rember right. Its still morning and the roads are not quite warm yet, and we are taking an easy pace.

Come up to a right hand turn, prob a 35mph turn, were going maby 40 no faster then 50, and for the ones who know thats not too fast for that speed of turn on our bikes. The guy in front of me into the turn taking it easy.....BAM dropes to the ground....He goes one way...the bike goes the other. Im thinking "oh Sh...what just happend"........

As the rider goes to the right following the road....the bike goes into the other lane and slides to the side, as luck would have it....a Honda CRV is also coming the other way, the lady driving it Hits the brakes and swerves to the side of the road....unlucky for both drivers the bike and CRV decided to go the same way....the bike ends up UNDER the front of the CRV inbetween 2 front wheels as lucky as could be and BOOM blows up......

Now you may be wondering where I am in all this, but I...as a noob rider....target fixated like no other and stoped my bike about 5 feet from the burning inferno.

I got the bike backed up and off to the side and helped in traffic control.

So 3 months riding....3 crashes, To this date, 2 years riding, ive lost count of how many crashes ive seen/been in. I do know its over 13 though, I think thats when i lost count.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, My first bike experience doesn't really even invole me me actually riding my new bike.
My passion for motorcycles all started when I was 15 years old (back in 1995) and my Uncle Mike took me for a ride on the back of his 1995 Kawasaki Ninja.
From that moment on I knew that I had to have a sport bike.
It took me 5 years of working every bad job you could think of. I scooped ice cream for two summers, mowed lawns for 2 summers, and stained decks for a summer. I saved every single penny I could spare. I started college after high school, so that is why it took me so long to come up with the money.
Finally in March of 2000 I had enough money to buy my first bike. I found a 1997 Honda CBR 600F3, with 1200 miles on it. It was my dream bike, it was red black and white (the same color as my 04 r6).
I still remember that day like it was yesterday! My best friend and I drove 4 hours to pick it up. We were unable to test drive it, as it was snowing out, but it started right up and sounded great. My friend and I loaded it up onto the trailer and took our time making sure it was 100% secure. I must have checked those tie straps at least ten times each. Before we left I called my insurance agent and added on full coverage insurance, I knew I wouldn't be riding it but wanted to be sure it was covered in case of any unforseen circumstances.
Well, there were definitely unforseen circumstances. As many times as I checked those tie straps, I forgot to make sure the trailer was in operable condition. My friend and I both failed to put a trailer pin into the hitch when we hooked it up. About an hour into my ride home with my dream bike I hit a small bump while travelling over a bridge. It caused the trailer to raise off the ball, the chains broke, and the trailer and my new bike went hurtling down an embankment on the side of the expressway.
Needless to say I didn't handle the situation too well. I was running around like a crazy man. My bike was in a hundred pieces, the trailer was twisted. The bike and the trailer were both a complete total loss. After the initial madness I calmed down and called my insurance company to inform them of my accident. I figured I would have to go through some hoops to get it paid for, but had no idea what I was in for.
Due to the fact that the bike was secured onto a trailer, and not onto a vehicle that I was insured to drive they would not cover any of the damages to my bike.
Basically, the five years of saving was gone in an instant. I never even got to ride my first bike! It is now 2007, and I just now have saved enough money to buy my second..first...bike. I purchased a 2004 R6 in July and I couldn't be happier. I would like to say that it was worth the wait, but I would have loved to ride that Honda!
Thanks for reading, I know it was lengthy!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just like most everyone else, I've always wanted a motorcycle. But never had the opportunity to purchase one.

Well, After my ex-fiancee (love of my life for 3 years) left me for someone in World of Warcraft (in another country) I was a wreck, couldn't handle it. Almost lost my job, and was on the verge of losing my apartment. At that point my best friend from college said that he had a couch with my name on it down in SC (I was in VA at the time). I packed up, took a $2000 hit breaking my lease, and moved down to SC where I currently live on my best friends couch.

Working from his living room (I'm a web developer) I got to stare at his Suzuki Katana every day. It was at that moment I decided that I needed something to fill the gap left in my life. So my roommate and I went down to the local motorcycle dealer, and that's when I saw her. A 2002 Yamaha R6, it just screamed my name as I looked her over. It turns out that I qualified for financing (which surprised everyone at the dealership being that i'm 22) and we took her home that day. It's been wonderful ever since. It's really helped me cope with the situation at hand.

It would be so nice though because of my $2000 hit for breaking my lease, and the 26k in school loans I'm paying for, if I could get some quality gear. So please consider me :)

·
5 kids, whats your excuse
45 Posts
Well for me it would have to be 1969 or 1970 when I was about 6-7yrs old, my dad came home from work one day with a mini-bike (Rupp I think) and a new DT1 white Yamaha, I think the mini-bike helped his case with my mom, as in it's so we can ride as a family....it worked! I had to share the bike with my younger brother, no big deal as he hadn't yet graduated from training wheels on the sweet stingrays dad also bought us..remember they had a rear slick oh yeaaa. Only problem with the bike was the dang pull start, we weren't big enough to start it, unless dad was home we were stuck. Until we figured out the neighbors house was also an old folks home and we could get the old dudes to start it anytime we pushed it over. After all the parents never said not to ride it when dad was not home, I remember him telling my mom "don't worry they can't even start it". We didn't get caught till my sister ratted us out as we daisy chained all of her dolls to the back of the bike and ripped up the alleys of Coronado Island, we took that bike all over the town, I say we as I had to take my brother with me to prevent any unwanted parental wooden spoon talks with dear ol mom. Did we get caught you bet, but dad always said "hunny they're just boys" We had that bike for years even after one of my brothers put it into the neighbors pool, that was after it went thru the row of hedges, We broke that bike many times, dad welded it even more, it taught us the basics at places like Carlsbad, Saddleback, and many places south of the border, my dad kept us in bikes until we were able to buy our own. My dad was the biggest reason myself and 4 brothers ride today and I continue to pass this awesome way of life on to my 4 sons and just to mix it up I also have a daughter and yes she rides too. She has a 79' XR80 and the little guys have a 74' MR50 yea their old but heck so am I, I'll get them something newer soon I promise. Thanks for the site....

Attachments

·
Registered
872 Posts
I received my first bike on 7/7/07 which was an R6S, which was just a couple of months ago.

A year prior, I wasn't really interested but I was really bored and needed something new. So my friend was like "look I'm going to get this one day." That is when I saw it, the 05 r6 model. It caught my eye, and I thought to myself if I get a bike, this can help me get away from everything, stress, problems, etc. and I'll have a lot of fun(Which turned out true).

From then on research, research and research. I'm really short and was 16 at this time so you know it, everywhere I went, I was put down. You're to short to ride a motorycle. You're to small to ride one. You're going to kill yourself on those things. Those didn't stop me, although I was feeling down because I was too short, this was one of the first time I was ever mad about being around 5'2ish(weighed 107, but that didn't matter to me). Research told me that I could shave the seat, and that I could lower it too, but I didn't want to lower it, but it didn't make me happy much. I was still interested so it was then when I told my cousin, about my interest and that if he wanted to take the MSF course with me. So along with him, we became obssessed (he's a kawasaki fanatic). We later signed up for the course and found out this is definitely what it turned out to be, one of the best thing that happened to me. After I passed, my instructor inspired me a whole bunch, he told me that a lot of good riders are my height. I guess he knew what was on my mind, and wished me luck. This was all I needed. Of course, the day after, I went and got my license.

Finally on my luckiest day and happiest life changing day, I went to the dealer with my dad. They had the last R6S in stock in the back, didn't have my color, but I didn't complain. I got on it and to my surprise I can barely tiptoe both side, and it was good enough! I'm going to have it shaved, and I don't even need to lower it. So we bought it, had it bruoght to my house. No experience with bike, except for MSF. I took the seat had it shaved, and started riding immidiately. I practice around my neighborhood, and people seeing me struggly learning to balance and stuff. It was funny now that I think about it. I just ride around the neighborhood learning about my bike, learning what to do, while getting help from this forum. Only dropped it twice, one from forgetting kickstand(slow no damage drop). and another when I was trying to compression start my bike, becuase I forgot my keys in bike. Dropped it on stop, it went pretty hard, but no damage. So yeah, my first bike and first learning experience. I'm still learning and still have my first's on a bike. The other day, I had my first ride in the rain, it started pouring while I at a friends house.

I'll post pictures later.

Ok, I lost my folder with my pictures, so I just took these. These pictures aren't that good.

My first bike. I'm paying it off right now.

Yeah, it's like this on both legs. I don't care what people think, as long as I get to ride! Although sometime it gets hard being short.

But, I usually put one leg on the peg and get a good foot down with the other.

Yeah, it's me. I'm 17 years old.

R6. One of the best choice I ever made in life. hehe

·
Registered
803 Posts
Well, About 6 months before i get my bike i decided i wanted a bike, it was a long wait in till my mom finally cracked, her and my dad were fighting and she knew i needed transportation because she just bought a house to move away from my current house i am living in and she wanted me to visit her often.

So we go down to the yamaha dealership. I pick out a 07 red r6 we trade in my atv and i bring her home. Everything goes well for about a week, then 1 night my brother gets drunk and the bar he was at took his r1 keys so he wouldn't drive, we get called up to go pick him up. We head down there pick him up then drive him home, then we go back down to get his bike, and we know the bar owner so he lets us roll it into the bar to keep it safe till we pick it up the next day. Upon return to my house i notice my bike is gone, i go apeshit and im all fired up ready to kick his ass. I calm down and about a hour later i hear my bike coming, so i grab my helmet and get ready to kick him off the bike and take a ride to my moms, then i here a bang, all i am thinking is wtf?? i head out there and he is standing there next to the bike trying to start it and im thinking what the hell is going on, well i get it started and i take off for my moms. when i get there i give the bike a look over and it notice the light case is cracked, exhaust is scratched, the fairings got a few scratches and my peg is a tad bit bent, o boy was i pissed off.

I talk to him the next day and he apologizes but doesn't offer to repair anything, so i had to spend 700$ outa my pocket, needless to say he never ridden my bike again, i can take a few pictures of the light/fairing that i needed a new one of, but the peg/scrapes are still on my bike, and a few weeks after the crash i noticed my sub frame was cracked=/ I still don't know how he manages to crash in my damn driveway.

·
Registered
583 Posts
OK, I have never told anyone in the motorcycle world about this. It is a deep dark secret that I had planned on taking to the grave with me, however I have decided to man up. I have told many people in the past that I had started riding in the street when I was thirteen, that part is true, what not true is the bike that I started on, I would often make reference to my RSX, that bike was actually my second, the very first bike I owned and started riding on was ….well you’ll just have to read on if you really wan to know. When I was a wee tot, I was given the best gift ever, a motorbike!! It was given to me by my grandfather to ride on his property down the shore. However since we only spent 2 weeks a year there it was simply not enough to satisfy my massive desire to ride. So I used to sneak into my grandfathers garage and take it for a spin, at first just up and down the street, then in the rest of the neighborhood, but of course that got dull in a hurry so eventually I would start looking for more places to ride, took it into the city, took it off road riding, on trails in various parks and had even ridden on the sidewalk, through peoples back yards. Mind you this was all done helmet-less, in shorts, sporting my lucky green Chuck Taylor’s and if that wasn’t enough, the bike wasn’t registered so it had no license plate either. I had been perused by cops numerous times, I had been chased in the city streets and managed to get away by lane splitting, I had been chased through residential areas, hence the part about riding up on the sidewalk, through peoples yards in order to escape the long arm of the law. A few cops even ran after me and the bike could accelerate just fast enough (with my little ho sitting on the back) to give the pursuing officer a false hope that he could actually catch me. At times looking in my side view I had broken into a sweat thinking they where about to, after all “objects in mirror are closer than they appear”
Once I even buzzed the police station in town, all those cop cars right out in front, parked with the rear wheels on the sidewalk, nose pointed out toward the street. A cop or two standing around chatting or heading to or from the station. I started out as casually as possible as not to look suspicious (I know, I know.. how the *** do you ride casually?), but anyway as I got closer and closer, I started looking around like a freighted sheep knowing that a cop could pull his car out in front of me at any moment, and there was way too many things blocking any possible escape on the sidewalk including the aforementioned officers, but once past half way I knew that it would be difficult for them to stop me cause the fairly narrow street opened up and there where few cop cars left to pass. I reached my “safety zone” I WOULD NAIL THE THROTTLE WIDE OPEN, simultaneously unleashing ALL three of those rabid horses contained in that fire breathing air cooled 50cc single that was the heart and soul of my Yamaha.. Chappy. (Yes its true I owned one when It def wasn’t cool to own one) screaming down the street with a menacing “angry lawnmower” shriek that no cop could ignore ….. I would rip by the wide glass front doors of the precinct and look into them to observe the sea of blue contained within, I would see faces staring my direction and even a few of the officers that where standing on the sidwalk would start to step in my direction or reach for the door handles of their shiny blue and white cruisers, but they knew, they knew It would have been a waste of time, the Chappy was well on it’s way to reaching it’s terminal velocity, a mind boggling of 28mph!!!! It was just a blur of red and polished chrome to their eyes, but just to squelch any ideas of heroism that might be had by some young hot-shot cop, I would then demonstrate the Chappy’s incredible cornering ability barley touching the brake it would slow to about 7-10mph and then I would execute a razor sharp right turn at the end of the block and ride down a one way street (in the wrong direction of course) and into a narrow alley and on to freedom. Oh god what a rush!!
Final Score:
Chappy:8
Cops: ½

·
Vrooom on a Yamaha
358 Posts
UPDATED

Growing up in a neighborhood of middle class kids you always find yourself wanting to keep up with the Jones's. All of your friends' stuff is much cooler than the crap you get at Christmas, but this year (1993) was my time to shine, so I thought...

I had a buddy who lived down the street and had a street leagal 50cc honda mini bike. I had another buddy that had a Honda elite 50cc scooter. I used to trade hershey bars and twinkies for 10-15 minutes of riding time. Immediately I was addicted. :bow The ability to zoom around with the flick of a wrist and go all over the neighborhood was a thrill. Why pedal regular bicycles like the other fools when I could roll a friend and myself around for cheap (gas was $.89 a gallon). Plus I took it from my dad's lawnmower reserve anyways.

Somehow I talked my dad into getting me a bike. He was all for it because his dad never gave him the opportunity, but my mom was totally against it. What if I hurt myself :jacked , etc, etc. Anyways Christmas of '93 my dad gives me this small box and I opened it up. It was a Honda key. Just like the ones I had seen before on my friends bikes. I sprinted for the garage and before my eyes was the biggest piece of crap still rideable on 2 wheels. :eek5

My smile went from ear to ear to non existent. I stood there and looked at it for a few minutes just wondering how much fun my friends would make of me for driving this POS. :thumbdown My Dad was laughing his ass off. He thought he got the deal of the century cause he picked it up for $50. He told me to ride it around before I made judgement. Who was I to complain. At least it was something. Nothing prepared me for what was about to happen on this hog.

Well time for the test drive. Cranked her up by kicking the kick starter over and over. Not only was the electric start not working on this piece of crap but by the time I got it started I could have peddalled a few miles. We had to coax it to start with some bug spray in the air intake. :idea: It was after all December and it was cold, but once it got started it purred like a kitten (that had been run over). :wtf

Smoke quickly filled the driveway and my dad said get the hell out of here. I rode around the block, smoke screening my neighbors, :yuk: and found out that this thing maxxed out at a whopping 26 miles per hour. :jerkit Both of my other buddies rides could easily go 45mph so naturally I was disgusted. I continued riding at max speed around the block and as I was coming back to my house I hit the brakes. :(

Now on a scooter there is no foot brake and no clutch. Both levers are brakes and wouldn't you know there happened to be an electrical short in this piece of crap. The brakes worked fine, but sqeezing the levers sent an electrical shock through my body that I'll never forget. :jump When I pulled the brakes I was shocked (literally and physically). Needless to say I let go of the handlebars. Tried it again. ZZZZZZZTTTT! Shocked again. I thought to myself "screw this" and bailed.

My Dad saw it happen and ran out into the street. I told him why i crashed and he didn't believe me. :stupic He tested it himself and couldn't believe it. He said that he was sorry he got me the piece of crap and that we would go and look at some real bikes. Back to smiles. I still drove it around the neighborhood and off roaded it even though it sucked balls. :321 It was funny because I would wear a pair of or my dad's rubber work gloves whenever I rode it.

That next spring my Dad and I went looking for bikes. Since I was 14 at the time I could get a motorcycle licence as long as the engine was under 125cc. It needed to be street legal and the only bike that fit were enduros. Ended up getting a Kawasaki KE 100. :cool: My dad sprung for the extended warranty. It was a good thing he did cause I blew up the engine twice and we got it fixed for no cost.

I drove the bike to high school every day my freshman year. None of my friends could drive and I didn't want to ride the bus. Sun, Rain, Fog, Flurries. Nothing stopped me from riding the bike. Eventually the need for speed got the better of me, and a friend of mine needed someone to take over his payments on a '98 Honda NightHawk 750. :werd I jumped on this and really learned how to ride on it.

This past Oct I decided that it was finally time to upgrade again but I wanted a supersport. Looked at the Gixxers (Ugly Cycloptic Looking IMO):moon, Ninjas (No dealer wanted to deal), CBRs (Really liked them but too much $) and then there was the R6. You can guess which one I chose. It looked the best out of all of them and I am very happy with the purchase I made.

I still have my Honda scooter to this day. I have painted all the plastics camo and I cut a garden hose to fit over the brake levers so that you don't shock yourself when trying to stop. :lmao. Here are some pics of my very first bike and latest most bad ass bike. Couldn't bear to separate with the honda. We had some shockingly good times.

Here is the Honda today

Here are the retrofitted garden hose covers

This is me being stupid

WINNER: cdickgo Week 1, Please send all of your contact details, size and first and second color choice in a PM to SpidermanSS. Remember EVERYONE else the contest is still going another week so KEEP signing up it's not over!

·
The GodFather
7,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WINNER: cdickgo Week 1, Please send all of your contact details, size and first and second color choice in a PM to SpidermanSS. Remember EVERYONE else the contest is still going another week so KEEP signing up it's not over!

Remember to keep signing up everyone! ALL of the contests go into next week!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Coming from the street racing scene, I've always entertained the idea of getting a bike and always talked about it, but didn't have any plans on getting one yet. Then one day my friend that I always talked to about bikes calls me up and tells me to come over. I go over his house and he has a new gixxer sitting in his garage. In my head I'm like "OOOOH YOU MOTHERF*****!!" So this is where my story starts.

I ran the idea of getting a bike by my parents, and instantly they said "NO! NEVER!" I kept bothering them over the course of a few weeks but they wouldn't budge. By this time my friends were all asking me where my bike was because I had already gotten my license and was talking about was getting a bike nonstop.

I went to a Public Storage place and rented out a 5'x5' garage for $46 a month 7 miles from my house so I could park the bike there without my parents knowing. I paid for the first 3 months up front then went straight to the dealership an hour away.

I had already done all my research, and as soon as I walked in I told them I wanted the Red R6. We agreed on a price and did all the paperwork. Then when it came down to the financing, I couldn't get approved despite having good credit (they said I just didn't have enough credit). So I begged them to just hang onto the bike and the paperwork and that I'd be back within a few days with a cosigner.

After begging some friends to cosign for me, a few finally agreed. I went to the dealership a few days later with 4 of them. They each cosigned for me, and each one was still denied for the same reason of having not enough credit.

When I got home I got on my hands and knees and begged my parents to cosign, but they still said "NO!" So I gave them the silent treatment and dirty looks for a week. Then it got to the point where I would get furious everytime I saw them and I told them that I'm moving out. They don't trust me enough to not get into trouble while living on my own, so they started considering cosigning for me just to keep me at home.

To make a long story short, my mom finally cosigned for me, and I got the bike.

*edit* my first ride thread..
http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45773

·
I was going how fast????
1,210 Posts
When I was a little boy I remember watching my grandfather ride his motorcycle up and down the street as I watched in amazement, that day I knew I had to have one. Growing up my grandfather was my mentor; my parents got divorced when I was 4 years old so I looked up to my grandfather and tried my best to follow his footsteps. As I grew older my obsession grew larger, by the time I was 12 all my uncles had motorcycles and I would beg to drive them but of course I was too small so I would just ride the little 50cc bike that my uncles had laying around. Years later I got married and I was getting old enough to finally buy a motorcycle ) . I presented the idea to my wife and it was rejected pretty quickly..lol. One and a half years later I put my finances in order and she finally gave in, I think I begged her everyday. We searched Ebay for a few weeks and I found a beautiful 2006 R6,the price was perfect but the auction was ending quickly. I quickly went to the bank and took out a loan and was ready to get my bike. Needless to say I was new to Ebay and sent the money through Western Union. Two days later I never got a confirmation.... the money was stolen, it was a scam and I was never getting a bike. I felt so mad and taken advantage of, I was full of hate and there was nothing I could do. I just basically gave away thousands of dollars and was stuck paying for the loan for a year. About a year after this happened I finally grew a set and got over it and started my search again. This time I found a 2003 LE Yamaha R6, LOCALY. I went and took the loan out again and bought the bike. This bike is my anger management, my stress reliever, and my passion. I baby this bike and I take great pride in owning a motorcycle, nonetheless a R6. My grandfather had a stroke about a year ago and is confined in a bed, he never really says much when you try to talk to him but when I told him I finally bought a motorcycle.... he just smiled. I ride my motorcycle every day, cold,hot,wet or dry. I just wish I had some better gear but I am still paying on the first bike I never received. Everyday i get on my bike I sit there while it warms up and think to my self how happy I am to finally own this machine. The first day I took it out was like winning the lottery but i get to do it everyday. This is the first time I have ever told this story to anyone, except my wife, she was there to help me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well first is first, I am new to this forum, so what an interesting way to introduce myself eh? Anyway my story starts with one simple philosophy...Cheap, keep it cheap, real cheap. I had 1500 starting to pay for everything I would need to ride, motorcycle included. Take out 150 for an on sale internet helmet (which by amazing chance fit well) and I had 1350. So onto craigslist I went, looking for anything that ran. Craigslist is amazing, it really is, because if you look hard enough, you can find anything, and I mean anything. I did something a lot of people tell you not to do, I started on a 600cc bike, a 1995 FZR600, got her for 800 dollars, with an odd clicking noise and a headlight that lit up the treetops, the seat wasn't even attached (probably because it was an R6 seat shaved down to go with the rigged R6 tail fairing). That all was ok with me though, it looked pretty and sounded mean (two horrible reasons to get a first bike).

So I fixed it all, all that I could do immediatly anyway, I shoved electrical tape behind the headlight mount so it pointed lower (still not in front of me where it should), and epoxied some bolts to the seat and made a bracket out of an old car radio, bent them onto the subframe and ta daa, I had a seat that would not fly off in the wind. The ticking never stopped, and I was still riding the squared off tire for the moment.

At this point I had not even taken MSF and was trying to learn how to ride on this twitchy, clanky rigged together (beautiful) motorcycle, and I crashed. It was not bad, a lowside after blowing a left hander and running off into gravel, completely my fault, carried more speed than I was comfortable with (Just picked up the bike, held on the fairings and rode home with one hand). Anyway, my fairings were a little rashed, and I had to rig them back on...this was just the beginning...

So the damage...Windscreen broken, fairings falling off, headlight mount shot (was shitty anyway). Blue spraypaint for the rash (it almost matched), Ziptie the headlight in (actually this made it point in the right direction...and held up through another drop). Rigged bottom mounts for the fairings held for a while...but there was a cure for this, and it involved a dremel. Shabam! Half fairing. And the windscreen...now there was a challenge. Cardboard, ductape, spraypaint and epoxy. That was my extremely ghetto solution, I cut out a general shape out of cardboard, ductaped the whole thing, then spraypainted it black, but even then it didnt seem completely solid...so I coated it in a layer of epoxy. It was amazing.

About then it was time for my first trackday so I went and got some cheap cheap leathers, about 2 sizes too small for me (imagine catwoman's costume...but batman wearing it), it also required me to get some new rubber. Unfortunatly I didnt have stands, leaving me with one ghetto solution (leading to this picture).

(and this bad PS)

So when I went to Thunderhill Raceway, to track prep I clipped the headlight out and off I went, zewming (ok...slow zewm) around the track on my new tires. But in the process of hanging my ass off the seat the rigged on R6 fairing broke.

I tried at first some fiberglass fabrication, and I think it would have worked to this day..except that the resin ate the foam (first time mistake). So after that failed I made a quick solution seat, made from a piece of sheetmetal from Ace. I cut it with a portable jigsaw, and hammered it into shape, then taped some foam I cut out from my old seat on. More ductape. Its getting more MadMax at this point...

I rode it whenever I could, getting usually to the coast, or local twisties, and put my money's worth in miles on that ol' bike. Eventually though, bad things started to happen, it was burning a bit of oil, the ticking was getting worse and the suspension was shot. So I did the only thing I could think of that would make any money towards a new bike. I took her apart and sold the pieces. A cold thing to do to my first bike I know, and sometimes I still wish I had her to goof around on...but alas, all that is left is the frame.

So then I bought an R6, 17k miles on it, Micron exhaust, power commander and Scott's damper, beautifully cared for, all the pieces...a highbeam that worked and the ability to get good rubber. Still have her, and still having a blast (even through the fog and the rain).

Even managing to take her out to Fernley once, and really let her rip on a front straight that is rediculously long. Maybe its just me though...although she runs amazing, and is easier to ride...just doesn't quite have the "character" that the FZR had :p

·
The GodFather
7,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
WINNER: lunchbox101 Week 2, Please send all of your contact details, size and first and second color choice in a PM to SpidermanSS. Congrats!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts