1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
The GodFather
7,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This contest is for 2 MONDAYS

Monday: Nov. 12, 2007 / Monday: Nov. 19, 2007

RULES:

Post your crash images, pictures of current gloves and or a short story of why you need new gloves for a chance to win! Remember only ONE (1) post per member in this contest (you can sign up for other days also), you must reply to THIS thread only. You are encouraged to post up images and stories. The better the presentation the better shot at WINNING!

Prizes: Komodo MESO Shorty Gloves - 4 pairs total, 2 given away each Monday

http://www.tobefast.com/komodo-meso-shorty-glove-c-52733-p-1-pr-939.html

Winners will be selected by R6-forum.com Administrative staff (everyone else is eligiable to enter). Each winner will and notified accordingly and posted in this first post on each thread. Winners will be able to select bike types and colors available and we reserve the right to replace it with a comparable price items if sizing, colors, types cannot be obtained.

PLEASE ONLY REPLY WITH CONTESTS ENTRIES. NO COMMENTING ON OTHERS POSTS (IF YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT SOMETHING POSTED IN THE CONTESTS DROP A OFF TOPIC OR GENERAL THREAD UP
)

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Re: CONTESTS= Monday: Nov. 5, 2007 / Monday: Nov. 12, 2007

I went down in turn 3 @ NHIS back in september because I'm retarded (cold tires). Sucked.

But the photog got a great series of the crash, sparking can and all. The bike did end up hitting those tires... shattered my puig DB screen, broke all of the tabs that hold the whole front assembly to the fairing stay. Needed a new headlight and front upper fairings, frame slider too obv. I painted my stock screen black and threw that back on. Cosmetic damage to right lower, seat cowl, and exhaust can.

The best one of the series I bought full size and printed it out, hung that bitch up on my wall :D

The damage to my gloves doesn't look that bad, but the seams that broke were critical (one surrounding the knuckle puck, another connecting palm to fingers which isn't pictured). Sucks, too, since they're 200 dollar gloves.

I could def use a nice set of replacements!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I just got off the phone with a medical facility that I visited recently. It was a very informative conversation about me having no insurance coverage for the care I received (Broken rib, it's fine now).

That wouldn't be so bad except that my wife broke her foot 3 weeks ago and has been unable to work. So now we are getting my medical bills, her medical bills from 3 weeks ago, our income has been decreased by more that 50%, I have to pay for school(college) in 9 days, and Christmas is right around the corner.

Needless to say things have gotten really tight all of a sudden. I am very financially responsible and save as much money as I can, but even with my savings account I cant take a hit like this.

I'll be riding to work every day now, rain or shine, and I need a pair of gloves that will help me make it through the winter and provide protection.

This looks like a great pair of street gloves that would really help me out.

·
MO HA HA THE MASTERMIND!!
4,339 Posts
Although this is not about a crash it could have very well been one.... I recently had an oil change and filter done on my 06 R6 ...well I learned my lesson I will never buy an aftermarket filter after about two weeks of riding the o ring slowly worked its way off the filter when I was riding...the Yamaha has a lip that stops the o ring coming off...anyways thankfully I wasnt riding into a corner and as the oil slowly preceded to empty out all over my bike and rear tire while riding it was like riding on a sheet of ice my back tire was completely covered with oil.... I managed to stop the bike and thought how lucky I was I managed to control the bike!

I had to pay $300 to the stealership that picked up my bike and I am a student struggling to make my rent!! the only pair of riding gloves I have are a summer pair and could use a nice pair....
Take care and ride safe
Jo

·
No sig for you!
3,667 Posts
Well I'll try and make a long story short:

Started riding at 8AM and headed towards the mountains. After a few hours of railing through the turns and heading back for lunch I low sided.

-1:15PM crashed and almost got hit by a on coming car.
-1:45PM Taken to the local Hospital and finding out that they could not do anything there for me.
-2 hours out from my house. (I could not ride the bike home. Plus the bikes forks were trashed.)
-Had to call parent to come and get me.
-Hospital would not give me any pain meds.
-Parents came and picked me up and had to come to the hospital near where I live.
-Checked into the hospital at 9PM.
-Thirsty as hell at this point....... (Doc said not to eat or drink anything. Figures.... I wrecked before having lunch.)
-11:30PM My Doc tells me that I need to come back tomorrow for the Plate and 4 Pins.

The out come of the wreck.... Dislocated my ankle, Broke my wrist in 2 spots (Proud owner of a metal wrist.... 4 Pins and a Plate.), Major road rash on and around the knees. Needless to say the gloves did not make it. They had to cut them off and they didn't have to cut much ..... not much left of them.

WINNER: dboyslade and ACCLR8 Week 1, Please send all of your contact details, gloves size and first and second color choice in a PM to SpidermanSS. Remember EVERYONE else the contest is still going another week so KEEP signing up it's not over!

·
Moderator Narcissist
18,904 Posts
Well...I don't think I have a winner after dboy's post...but I'll share my story!

Some of you may remember, some might not, and some probably never saw, but...

...I was riding some backroads on Labor Day 2006 out with a group of buddies. I had never been down these roads before and I had only been riding for about 6 months.

Well...goin' down the road at approx. 90 and thinkin' I'm Rossi or somethin'...went up this long, gradual uphill and expected the road to bend right at the top. Apexed the hill and found a sharp left hand, off camber hair pin turn. Oops...tried to go down a side road, but it wasn't meant to be.

I think I was going around 60 when she layed down on me...ended up screwin' up my right ankle, shreadded both knees, busted my head pretty good, various other bumps and bruises and the cherry on top...

a dayum broken hand!

Never broke a bone before...worthless ass Joe Rocket gloves didn't do a thing for my hand...and I'm still riding with the same damn gloves!

Where I'm standing, taking the pic, is where I went down...where my friend is with his hand up back there is where I ended up...I rolled, not slid, the whole damn way down there. I didn't want to slide because I didn't have a abrasion protection on my lower half. I kinda went head first into a super-duper combat roll! I remember intentionally diggin' my head into the first dip, as the bike was going down because I didn't want to hurt my neck tryin' to 'chin up' and keep it from harm. So...head first, went into a never-ending barrell roll...

Meh...all busted up. Not even aware that my hand was broken. It was all blue, green, and purple...but I thought I just bruised it real bad. I could still kinda make a fist and remember thinki' "Hell...if I can do all this and not cry like a baby there's no way it's broken!" It wasn't until the next day that EVERYBODY kept tellin' me I should go see the doc that I found out it was boken...

And my stupid hand...broken like a carrot. It's kinda hard to play the guitar now...my hand gets reall cramped real fast and tired because the bone's still bent in that shape. My left pinky is shorter than my right...

And yes I was geared up...minus any kind of leg/knee protection. I was wearing my Scorpion EXO-400 lid, Joe Rocket CE armoured jacket, worthless JR gloves (you can see 'em sittin' on the seat of the bike) and leather, ankle covering boots. The boots actually did a pretty good job protecting my feet...considering:

I know they're not 'riding boots' but they definitely did the job...I speak highly of them...unlike those damn gloves. :cuss

WINNER: HaKK and GIJoe007 Week 1, Please send all of your contact details, gloves size and first and second color choice in a PM to SpidermanSS. Remember EVERYONE else the contest is still going another week so KEEP signing up it's not over!

·
No sig for you!
3,667 Posts
ceo012384 said:
What's with all the gearless crashes around here? *shakes head*...
I did have gear on. The pavement ripped my hand away from me.
As for my pants ... Too cold to just wear leathers and plus my sweats wouldn't fit under my leather pants.

·
NOT DoD Blocked
5,605 Posts
I was home on 15 days of combat leave from Iraq this summer and I was going to ride to my moms work so that she could show me off. After about a 20 minute enjoyable ride down the interstate and up onto the service road I pulled onto the last street before my final destination. I got up to about 60 MPH on a 55 MPH road. When I was coming up on a business driveway some guy in a silver grand prix was getting ready to pull out and he did right in front of me, without looking left. I immiediately tried to do an emergency stop using both brakes but I quickly reaized that I was not going to stop in time. I then chose the lesser of two evils and I decided to put the bike down and give myself a chance rather than just run into the moron *cough* guy. I didn't get out from under the bike before we hit the pavement at about 50-55 MPH and I took the full weight of the impact on my left hip. Lucky for me when I hit the ground the bike and myself seperated without complications and both went off into the grass avoiding the car entirely. I did trash my gloves completely, mess up my jacket pretty bad, got some pretty nasty rash on my hip, bruised my hip bone, and trashed my nerves in my hip but it could have been much much worse. The other driver being the considerate person that he was floored it and left the scene. The gloves that I was wearing did their job so I can't complain but I do need something to replace them and these Komodo gloves look AWESOME. Thank you for taking the time to read this. And a special thanks to my dad for taking these pictures and emailing them to me out here.

·
Registered
33 Posts
dboyslades hand gives me the chills.

I had a crash last year around this time, November 1st actually. I was headed to work at around 7am and my neighbors dog felt it would be best to bolt in front of me as I passed it's house.

I hit brakes felt the bike get sideways and then the rest kind of blurs. Then I remember feeling the bike pushing against me as we both slid on the pavement.

I get up and seem ok, then grab for the bike to move it and my right hand was a no go. Somehow I managed to crush the tip of my right radius at the wrist. Needed surgery and some metal bits to get it back together right.

Worse is that I had just started a new job about 3 months before and full medical coverage didn't kick in quite yet. A few days later and I would have been covered.

The wonderful neighbors deny that their dog was the cause. So for the last year I've been dealing with lawyer crap.

Don't have any pics of the gloves, they didn't make it. They were A* GP Pluses though, no rash on my hands so they worked I guess.

Here's the pics.
My poor hand post op, it's not normally greenish brown.

Some sweet bike damage. Was minty fresh before this run in.

My favorite pic :thumbdown This is just the bigger one, about 13k total!

And Chicks dig scars... Unless it looks like you tried to end yourself :eek5

Anyways, as you can see I'm in debt and daddy needs a new pair of gloves.

·
Forum Moderator
3,107 Posts
Man, could I use a new pair of gloves!!! My old Joe Rocket Speedmaster track gloves have taken a beating with two crashes. One low side and one high side. Both crashes took place at JenningsGP on the famous turn 8. My gloves were thrown away after crash two and I never got any pictures of them, but I sure could use a new pair for the track. Here's my story:

I'll start with the low side crash. It was November of '05 and I was looking to get in some track time before heading up to Road Atlanta. There was a two week break in between this Jennings track day and the Road Atlanta track day. Man, you could not have asked for a better day to run Jennings. Perfect Fall Florida weather with mild temps and low humidity. A "Chamber of Commerce Day" as some would say. I was with my good friend Salvador. He was running the same R1 as me. It was even the same color. I had ran Jennings a few times before, but not at a very fast pace. I was running Michelin Pilot Powers on this day and knew as I gained more track time and experience I would need to upgrade to better rubber. The day started off great with me just having fun and not really pushing it. Salvador and I were following each other and sorta playing tag taking turns leading one another. At the end of each session we would critique each other on our good and weak points. We did this most of the day while enjoying the the time on the track. Lunch came and went then the track reopened. I was feeling pretty good and decided to up the pace a bit. It must have been several sessions after lunch when it happened. I had been flowing pretty good through turn 8. However, on this lap I must have had to much speed and could not scrub it off fast enough. You got it "Low Side" as I tried effortlessly to reduce my speed going into turn 8. I ended up eating the pavement with my hands and left side hip while staying with the bike as it slid off the track. I only suffered a few scrapes and was able to walk away from the accident. The corner workers got the bike loaded up on the trailer and back to the pits. From there I was able to assess the damage to my bike and my riding gear. My R1 did sustain some damage, but nothing major to the frame. So, now the clock was running for me to get it put back together in two weeks to make Road Atlanta. Well, I was able to accomplish this and had a good time riding the NESBA day at Road Atlanta. Here are pictures from the event.

This is Salvador and me enjoying JenningsGP on the R1's.

The two sliver R1's after arriving at Jennings.

Mostly fairing and plastic damage along with the stator cover.

Left clip-on was shot along with the frame sliders. Not to mention the gloves were rashed a bit, but sitll usable.

The second crash happened in January of '06. Much like the Jennings track day in November the weather was once again a "Chamber of Commerce Day" I felt good, the bike felt good and was responding and the tires felt good. I was running a set of Pirelli SuperCorsa's SC 1 front and a SC 2 rear. As usual, I started the day off fairly easy and by the third session I really started to fall in the groove and was eating up the turns and a set of pucks. I don't know what it is about my approach as I come into turns, but I would catch everyone there and would be right on top of them in no time and ready to pass as soon as it was safe to do so. Well, next thing I know I hear the announcement over the PA saying the track is shut down for lunch since it was already noon time. A well deserved break was welcomed. I sat there with my good friend Salvador and we downed a few sandwiches and shot the breeze about the sessions we just completed. So far, it was a perfect day and I felt it was about to get even better. So, an hour later I hear the announcer tell the novice group to get ready. I hit the bathroom to take a squirt then come back to our pit and down a Red Bull. By the time our group is called the Red Bull has kicked in and I'm on cloud nine riding "so fast so clean" it ain't even funny. I can't even describe how smooth I was riding. It was one of the best days on the track I've ever had. Well, the day progressed on as did my riding skills and before we knew it the announcement went out for the last session of the day. Before we head out Salvador says to me "Hey, let's just make this our victory lap and take it easy". I'm like yeah, ok, whatever. As the session started I do take it easy for a few laps then up the pace. Now, this is where things become fuzzy for me. I would say it was very close to the last lap of the last session. I had been pinning the sharp apex in turn 8 all day long. On this lap I exit turn 7 as usual and set up for turn 8. I notice I'm dragging my puck a little early this time. Well, things are still ok as I complete the tun and start to stand the bike up. I apply the throttle then "BAM" it happens. Major High Side!!! Next thing I know I'm in the air upside down and so is the bike. I only remember seeing daylight, dirt, daylight, asphalt and more daylight. Well, turn 8 is a sharp left and all my bike and the damage to my body was on the right side. This happened so fast I never even felt the rear tire step out. I never had any warning to try and save it. All I can say is it felt like a giant throwing me down like a little rag doll. It feaking hurt. Several corner workers ran over and asked me if I was ok and tried to stand me up. I immediately collapsed and they called in the track ambulance with the EMT's. Long story short after spending all night in the Emergency Room in Sebring, Florida waiting and waiting to be seen here's the deal. After X-rays I find out my right foot is broke in four places and my right hand is broke with the pinky knuckle turned in the opposite direction it should be in. I have severe bruising and damage to my sciatic nerve in my left hip running down to my foot. Then they tell me I will need surgery. In the end I go through four surgeries and I'm out of work for three months. Needless to say my gloves were trahsed badly after these two track mishaps. I could really use a new pair. Plus, the Komodo quality is top notch and I could retire the real old Teknic's I'm using now. Man, it would be nice to get a set of those gloves. Here are pictures of the second crash.

Here is a shot of the famous or not so famous turn 8 at JenningsGP.

You can tell turn 8 can be a hazard if taken to fast or getting on the throttle to soon from all the gouges in the asphalt.

Enjoying the day. This is a session just after lunch.

X-ray on the right hand.

X-ray on right foot.

Right foot in the temporary cast after the first surgery.

Right hand after first surgery. The fixator is bolted into the bone with four screws.

Notice the two pins going into the pinky finger.

This thing was on my hand for over two months. It was very hard to sleep with it on. I ripped up a few sheets too.

Talk about pain if I accidently bumped it. Well, I won't even discuss that.

Here she is all torn down.

Just waiting on the plastics to get back.

Tank repaired and all plastics back from a good body and paint man I know.

Here she is all put back together after the nasty high side. I ended up selling it and buying a '06 R6. I really miss her too.

So, inclosing. I know it's not near as bad as some of the others. At least I was able to walk away from the first accident. The second I was put on a stretcher and carried to the amublance. Again, I could really use those gloves for the track since my old track gloves were torn up badly. They would go to good use and not sit unused in the closet.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey All,

WHAT TIMING!!! I wrecked myself yesterday morning and logged on to post my latest mishap, when i noticed this contest. I saw the other posts and mine cant compare to some, but figured i would post anyways.

What Happened???
I was on the beloved Highway 9 leaving out of Santa Cruz and a few turns into it i rounded a fun little right at about 40-45 and then noticed all of the Redwood leaves on the ground...a nano-second or two later, i was laying on my back sliding down the road. I've recovered from some super-sketchy slideouts, but i didn't know what the hell even happened until i was fifty feet down the road looking up at the clouds :dunce:

In case you were wondering...Yes, I am fine. My jacket got shredded to pieces (liner is still good) and I need a new toe puck on my boots. I got a little road rash, not even worth a ride in the Meat Wagon. Went to Rite Aid and spend 15 bucks on 4X4's and some Neosporin.

As for the bike, I need new pucks for my right side sliders and a new extended mount for my pass. pegs (cuz i got a high mount). My tank got a few scratches, but the bike was 100% functionable. I rode it home and got the front wheel up a few times to "check functionability". After downing it for the forth time now, I'm starting to believe there was a lot of "crash testing" during R&D of this bike. It has held up AWESOME.

I sat at home the rest of the day and watched tv :popcorn: and polished out my tank. BADPHISH SAVED THE DAY AGAIN!!! And as for gloves, one of my pics shows a hole in my middle finder i got BEFORE I CRASHED...and NOW the palms are all rubbed through on the right hand (yeah shutup, i know what your thinkin). It would be really nice to get hooked up with some gloves, I already gotta buy a new rain jacket for this winter...cant wait for the water-proof leather in the new cross-bred cows. :)

Attachments

·
Moderatore Eccellente!
8,634 Posts
Well, I said I couldn't enter because my dog ate my gloves, but everyone said "quit being a wus and enter anyway." So here it is.

I NEED new gloves! Thats just one piece. Ugh!

WINNER: dboyslade and ACCLR8 Week 1, Please send all of your contact details, gloves size and first and second color choice in a PM to SpidermanSS. Remember EVERYONE else the contest is still going another week so KEEP signing up it's not over!

·
The GodFather
7,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
SpidermanSS said:
Does my previous post count as my submission for the next week?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts