Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So saw this video earlier and was wondering what you guys think. Surprises me that the control rider didn't realize what was going on but at the same time the guy he hit didn't seem to be signaling that he was pulling off the track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkaKU8yzt3g&feature=youtu.be

Let me know what you guys think.

Also I've been super busy lately and haven't posted or check in much, hope you guys are doing great and keeping the shinny side up. :cheers

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
in case anyone was wondering buddy of camera rider says the cameraman has a concussion and probably a torn rotator cuff and feels like shit. Status of CR is unknown but he went to the hospital, hopefully he's ok too. Guy says one or more of the bikes in the crash hit the CR after he slid off the track which sounds awful.

·
Yeah Science!
7,338 Posts
I was there yesterday, but in B group. It was bad, from what I was told he has a collapsed lung, hopefully he will be ok.

·
My R6 eats Ninjas.
749 Posts
That was bad. i hope everyone is alright. There was a red flag going into the turn, not sure why the CR was still on it. but the lead rider definitely should have threw up his arm. mistakes on both sides.

·
track junkie
2,257 Posts
it looks like the CR may have had a medical issue before he hit anything. strange...

s3aturnr

·
Yeah Science!
7,338 Posts
Update: The CR has 4 broken ribs and a collapsed lung.

·
Registered
19 Posts
video is so confusing..
how does the lead rider not come off as his rear wheel is hit hard?.
how does the middle rider hit the lead rider? its like he swerved to hit him.

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
it looks like the CR may have had a medical issue before he hit anything. strange...

s3aturnr
No medial issue. At BeaveRun (Where the vid was taken), that was the pit off area. You take a left there. You can clearly see the rider veer over to the left, with no indication of him putting his hand up signaling he was going off track.

The CR, assuming (He's not clear of all fault either), the rider wasn't pitting off, was setting up to pass him on the left side. Rider said "Nah, I think I'll pit off right now...and not put my hand up".

Bad timing for both. Like I said, as a CR, I would NEVER trust the "I" and "B" group guys to actually put their hand up when pitting off. In fact, I wouldn't trust any "A" group guys unless I knew them personally. So the CR definitely isn't completely innocent. As a CR, I would expect him to know better than to trust people to actually put their hand up before they pit out. But the majority of the fault falls on the rider.

Like they say all the damn time people, PUT YOUR HAND UP when coming off track! And whether you DO or DO NOT put your hand up, your decision (Dictated by if you put your hand up or not) is made when you come up on pit out!

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
at that slow of a pace, and likely a beginner group or intermediate group, the leading rider that got hit likely didn't figure he needed to put a hand up. But there was clearly a waving red flag to the inside of the final corner at the crash site. Yes, the leading rider should have put a hand up, but how long would you leave your hand up if you do..? looks like he was already going at a slower controlled pace.

The control rider didn't see the red flag is my guess, but totally misjudged the pace of the rider he hit.. appears he was just moving to the other side of the track to set up for the next corner but cut it way too close. I don't really see how you can put the blame on the rider that got hit though, that would be expecting a what appears to be a newer rider to take a hand off through the corner. not ideal. That was a really bad accident, that never should have happened. Control riders need to take EXTRA care to not be the ones involved in stuff like that.. otherwise, what is the point of having a control rider?

But have to agree, at the earliest possible time that the rider feels safe in doing so, ya SHOULD put a hand up to warn others behind, that are not paying attention or can't see a red flag, that they will be slowing. Would it have prevented this accident? i don't know. That CR was committed to swerving across behind that rider.. may have just given him more warning he had made a bad, bad mistake and was about to crash.

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
at that slow of a pace, and likely a beginner group or intermediate group, the leading rider that got hit likely didn't figure he needed to put a hand up. But there was clearly a waving red flag to the inside of the final corner at the crash site. Yes, the leading rider should have put a hand up, but how long would you leave your hand up if you do..? looks like he was already going at a slower controlled pace.

The control rider didn't see the red flag is my guess, but totally misjudged the pace of the rider he hit.. appears he was just moving to the other side of the track to set up for the next corner but cut it way too close. I don't really see how you can put the blame on the rider that got hit though, that would be expecting a what appears to be a newer rider to take a hand off through the corner. not ideal. That was a really bad accident, that never should have happened. Control riders need to take EXTRA care to not be the ones involved in stuff like that.. otherwise, what is the point of having a control rider?

But have to agree, at the earliest possible time that the rider feels safe in doing so, ya SHOULD put a hand up to warn others behind, that are not paying attention or can't see a red flag, that they will be slowing. Would it have prevented this accident? i don't know. That CR was committed to swerving across behind that rider.. may have just given him more warning he had made a bad, bad mistake and was about to crash.
I wasn't there, but I do know the directors and the CR's there. And I'd be willing to bet that in the rider's meeting, they advised [the rider] puts their hand up BEFORE the last turn of the track, giving plenty of heads up of their intent to come off track. Even then, the rider didn't put his hand up - at all.

Bad on the CR's part to pass someone on the side where pit out is at.

Bad on the rider's part to come off track with zero hand signal.

It still sucks for everyone involved. Hope they all heal up soon.

·
Sherman Connoisseur
26,445 Posts
Holy shit that was brutal. I paused on accident right before the bike flew into the cameraman... Cannot imagine what goes through your mind when you see a face full of motorcycle coming straight at ya

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
riders will continue to pit in without raising a hand.. Even had the rider put his hand up, i'm not so sure the CR would have avoided him, but that is pure speculation.
The bottom line is that control riders have a way higher level of responsibility out there to not run right into other riders, no matter WHAT circumstances are in progress.

·
Yeah Science!
7,338 Posts
John, they stressed to put your hand or leg out before the last right hand kink, Turn 9 and stay on the outside the WHOLE WAY which people did not do all the time in Beginner group at least. My mind is blown by how many people do not listen.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
All I can say is that that shit made me feel a lot better about only coming away with a nuclear sunburn this weekend....:laugh

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts

·
I like corners.
357 Posts
John, they stressed to put your hand or leg out before the last right hand kink, Turn 9 and stay on the outside the WHOLE WAY which people did not do all the time in Beginner group at least. My mind is blown by how many people do not listen.
That's the thing though. As a CR he should have known that the newer groups are terrible for not listening and not paying attention.

Like Melk said above,

The bottom line is that control riders have a way higher level of responsibility out there to not run right into other riders, no matter WHAT circumstances are in progress.

I think it's rare to see a day where at least 1 new rider doesn't make me, "WTF is he doing?". The things (or lack-there-of) that go through some riders heads blows my mind.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
wat?
722 Posts
The guy at 0:13 got the memo, too bad the other guy didn't. Hope everyone heals up quick.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts