Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm going to change the coolant in my 05. Can I use the automotive green cooant down at Auto Zone or is that not Ok for the motorcycle?

Thanks for any help.

R

·
"The Bolt"
915 Posts
bump .... wondering the same thing actually

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Coolant is coolant. I'm running water wetter in my bike and it works fine.
Not sure what climate you guys are in, but I would not leave that in over winter. From what I hear, there is no "antifreeze" in it. It can freeze/crack block/destroy water pumps/etc. I remember reading on this forum about it. Some guy had it in over winter. He thougth it would be a good idea to fire it up to get everything warmed up. Didnt think that it would be frozen..... Destroyed his water pump and much more.

·
Premium Member
11,254 Posts
coolant schmoolant. i use the blood of terrorists and rapists. it keeps the temp way down and it's for a good cause. :D

but when that's not available, i throw in a regular automotive 50/50 mix with water wetter in the winter/spring/fall and i plan on running strait distilled water with wetter in a few weeks for the summer. i'm in chicago so there's still a possibility we could get a cold night that freezes the mixture. that's just bad new bears.

·
Crapper was full...
2,109 Posts
Like everyone has said already, "coolant is coolant." However, if you plan on ever doing track days you might as well go ahead and switch to a poly glycol coolant like Electric Ice, or just use water with water wetter added. That way you won't have to drain your system before going to the track.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.