Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have an 04 r6 and I have a problem with my coolant reservoir boiling over and eventually spitting out coolant. On a hot day, this will happen every time I come to a stop. Even when I'm just commuting and not riding hard. The temperature on the bike never goes passed 214, my fans kick on at that point. The coolant will continue to do this until it spits so much out that the system is low and there's not enough coolant to spit out. But at this point the engine temp starts going up and the fan will always be on due to lack of coolant.

So far I have tried using a friends radiator cap. I've flushed the system and replaced the coolant with engine ice. I've replaced the thermostat with a brand new one. I'm still having this problem and I'm not sure what to do. I just checked the oil yesterday as well to see if maybe its a head gasket but the oil looks fine.

I've searched the forum already to look for the issue and that's where I got the idea to switch radiator caps. I'm not sure what to do next. Does anybody have an idea why this is happening?

Note* now that the weather is cooling down a bit here, it's not doing it as much. But it's still done it twice since I've replaced the thermostat a few days ago.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
Im guessing that at some point the radiator was repaired with stop leak. That will do it for sure.

·
I ride my wife and her R6
101 Posts
Do a radiator leak down test. (google) This will tell you if you have a leak somewhere.
If there is an air lock in the system it will boil over for sure.
If the leakdown test passes try this,

Put the bike on the sidestand,
make access to the filler cap,
after it is cool, open the cap and make sure there is at least SOME coolant visable in the opening,
start the engine (it might overflow a bit),
while it is running add coolant (properly mixed with water),
let it run till the thermostat opens at around 90*C, ???*F (this should be before the fan comes on), the level will drop when it does,
top it off and let it settle out,
after it is settled out look for tiny bubbles (really tiny bubbles will indicate a headgasket leak)
If you see a few big bubbles that's ok, put the cap back on and top off the overflow tank to "full hot", let it run for a couple minutes more until the fan kicks in, this will allow it to push any remaining bubbles into the overflow. Now shut off the bike and let it cool. Takes a couple hours.

If you don't have any leaks you should be ok. As the bike cools it will draw in any needed coolant. Make sure the overflow has coolant in it when it is cold, if it doesn't you need to add coolant to it and start all over again.

Best of luck to ya!

Take it out for a ride and see what happens.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Do a radiator leak down test. (google) This will tell you if you have a leak somewhere.
If there is an air lock in the system it will boil over for sure.
If the leakdown test passes try this,

Put the bike on the sidestand,
make access to the filler cap,
after it is cool, open the cap and make sure there is at least SOME coolant visable in the opening,
start the engine (it might overflow a bit),
while it is running add coolant (properly mixed with water),
let it run till the thermostat opens at around 90*C, ???*F (this should be before the fan comes on), the level will drop when it does,
top it off and let it settle out,
after it is settled out look for tiny bubbles (really tiny bubbles will indicate a headgasket leak)
If you see a few big bubbles that's ok, put the cap back on and top off the overflow tank to "full hot", let it run for a couple minutes more until the fan kicks in, this will allow it to push any remaining bubbles into the overflow. Now shut off the bike and let it cool. Takes a couple hours.

If you don't have any leaks you should be ok. As the bike cools it will draw in any needed coolant. Make sure the overflow has coolant in it when it is cold, if it doesn't you need to add coolant to it and start all over again.

Best of luck to ya!

Take it out for a ride and see what happens.
Good advice. This is generally referred to as 'burping' the cooling system.

Something to keep in mind - once you've got the bike running, don't shut it off with the radiator cap still off! Coolant will overflow big time, and you'll have to start over. (Can you guess how I know?)

·
Registered
1 Posts
my bike has been acting up.. it was struggling to take off on 1st gear i had to really balance it ot but once its on a going motion it ran fine, i did a bunce of stuff to it already, and one mechanic managed to finally fix it, then all of a sudden my radiator starts leaking... why is that???????can any body have any answer as to why all of a sudden

·
I ride my wife and her R6
101 Posts
That's just how shit happens most times. Take the rad to a radiator shop in the area. The best fix for bike rads that I have seen is epoxy. It worked great on my GSX-R. 3 years and still no leaks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, thanks everybody for the advice. I'm definitely going to try and burp the system like that Husbeast.

If that doesn't work then I;ll have to try the epoxy route. I'm not really looking forward to spending $90 on a new radiator.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,234 Posts
Hate to tell you, that the issue probably isn't a radiator problem. If the coolant is boiling out before 214 degrees, first suspect (and hopefully this is it) would be the radiator cap not holding pressure. If not that, you might be looking at a head gasket leak.

Follow the procedure in Husabeast's first post.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
Yeah, it could be the cap or a blown head gasket. Hopefully not the latter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts