Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
I eat my r6
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so I decided to change my coolant in my 09 r6 after sitting in the garage all winter. First thing I did after putting it on my stands was pull the drain bolt and drained the rad. Then I ran distilled water through rad until I saw pure water coming through. Then I cleaned out resevoir and filled it with distilled water and hooked back up. Then I filled radiator with distilled water and ran engine to about 80-85 C and drained after it cooled. I did this 3 times. After the 3rd time all that drained out was pure water. I even removed rad hose and ran some water throuh it just to make sure it was clear of old coolant. So after flushing 3 times and not seeing anymore old coolant I filled rad with new engine ice, and filled reserve to full line. Ran the bike to about 80 again then let it cool. Checked it and topped off. My problem is Im not sure if it is fully circulated through the system or if my engine is still full of water. Because I didnt even pour a full container of engine ice in and the system apparently is full. I ran it with cap off and it never sucked down so I dont think its air bubbles that are causing this. It should take 2.3L if the system is completely empty. Is this normal? Because I think its full because there is still half liter of water in the engine that is now mixed in with the new coolant. I dont see how I can prevent this because everyone flushes the same way and I don't think there's a drain bolt for the engine block right? Need help with this because I dont want my new coolant being that diluted from water. And I might need to redo this. If so how do I completely drain the whole system not just the rad if I redo it again???

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
You'll probably have a hard time getting it all out. Honestly I wouldn't worry about it. If you are that concerned, buy some pre-mix (concentrated) instead of the premixed (diluted) stuff.

·
Sammiches
1,435 Posts
Did you disconnect the hoses leading to/from the pump? Quite a bit of fluid hides in them. Take them off completely next time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts