Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey Guys,
I have done searching but still have some questions.
A few people say use the drain bolt ( but it can be messy) a few have said pull the drain hose.
I took this pic off this site in another thread for changing coolant but just want to make sure .
Is this the pipe I should pull to drain the coolant??

now another question to make sure I dont screw up.
once I have the coolant drained i should fill the rad back up with distilled water and run and drain and repeat until clean.
My question is what do i do with the reservoir bottle.
Should i leave it full of distilled water or just put it in the middle?

another question : once im done and i put the coolant back in.
Should i fill the rad and the reservoir bottle and then run the bike until the fan comes on and then drain the reservoir bottle to the proper level or just fill the rad run and then check level and then just add fluid in the reservoir bottle after ??

any help would be appropriated.
Cheers !! Jmoney

Attachments

·
My R6 has returned!!
1,930 Posts
So many questions - where to start.

1. With the hose, that is the correct hose to pull, it was recommended to me when I found that the coolant I added was not as much as expected. But you should drain from the drain plug too, not just the hose. I did the drain plug first and the hose second. It's not messy if you're prepared with a bucket and I just roll out a black trash bag under the bike too.
2. I empty AND wash out the reservoir (wash just by shaking around some distilled water - you'll find some krud in there). Then I fill it with distilled water to the full mark.
3. after draining the Rad, I run a liter of water through it to get it running clear.
4. Then I replace the hose and plug, fill with distilled water and some rad flush agent, run the bike for a few minutes (good to go till the fan comes on).
5. Let her sit and cool, then repeat step 3 with 2-3 liters of water till it's clear.
6. empty the reservoir and rad, fill up with whatever you're gonna put in there, and have a beer.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
don't run water only. it's not enough protection.

if you use water wetter, don't leave it in during the winter. change it out with a 50/50 mix of coolant and water.
and don't use DexCool coolant. it's for GM vehicle only, and is proven to be harmful to some types of gaskets. GM is actually being sued over it.
http://www.dexcoolsettlement.com/

just use some old fashion green coolant or the new long life stuff is fine too. as long as it's not the orange dexcool stuff.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys,
appreciate the patience and your answers.

I am going to run coolant I got from a bike garage.
it is motul coolant.

Cheers !!!

Jmoney

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys,
Was easier then I thought it would be.
Guess I was just over thinking..

Cheers!!!

·
My R6 has returned!!
1,930 Posts
Good deal :) pie.
I use Motul too, the factory line stuff. It's been doing great for me, my fan hardly ever come on now in the city.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts