Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like a complete squid, but I was flushing the coolant on my '09 R6 and the head of the drain plug snapped off. I swear I didn't even torque it that hard! Anyways, I've searched the forums and I've searched the OEM Parts section on Motosport.com and Yamaha's website and can't find the part number or the replacement bolt.

I was hoping someone with more knowledge and experience than myself could point me in the right direction. Or is this something I'll have to go directly to a shop for?

I've also already made plans to drill out and extract what is left of the bolt.
Thank you in advance!

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,695 Posts
look harder.. any on-line parts microfiche . pull up "water pump" for your year bike. it's a bolt shown at the bottom of the housing.

·
Registered
444 Posts
You could always just buy a spare water pump on eBay and swap that out if the plug is seized in there or if you have to drill it out. Water pumps are cheap and easy to replace.

·
Dangerously Irish
9,506 Posts
next time do that bolt by feel.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,581 Posts
I have never used that bolt to drain coolant...on any bike. I put a pan under the pump, remove the hose, then remove the rad cap. Coolant dumped in seconds! And you don't have to keep moving the pan to catch the stream like you do with the drain bolt.

That doesn't help you now, I know. But before you start trying to drill that bolt out in that soft pump housing, I would try to take the housing apart, and see if you can access the bolt from the inside. It might stick out enough that you could get a small set of Vise grips on it and get it turning, one way or the other.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Drilled a hole in the bolt and pulled it out with an extractor with no damage to the threads. Took five minutes. Completely avoidable pain in the ass.

I have never used that bolt to drain coolant...on any bike. I put a pan under the pump, remove the hose, then remove the rad cap. Coolant dumped in seconds! And you don't have to keep moving the pan to catch the stream like you do with the drain bolt.

That doesn't help you now, I know. But before you start trying to drill that bolt out in that soft pump housing, I would try to take the housing apart, and see if you can access the bolt from the inside. It might stick out enough that you could get a small set of Vise grips on it and get it turning, one way or the other.
Once the new bolt comes in I'll be using the hose to drain from now on.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,695 Posts
just an fyi.. in the event the wp seal starts leaking, and coolant starts coming out the weep hole of the pump housing, just go on ebay and buy a used pump. The entire thing, housing and all ready to push into the engine, is usually $25-35

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great advice... That is just what I did when I had this very same problem. I took an 8mm socket, and a 5 hex and took the cover off. Then took the cover and bolt to the Cycle shop. Bought a new drain bolt and case. Then I took it home and installed it. Otherwise I would've had to tow it to the shop.

·
Zip ties and Duct tape
186 Posts
just an fyi.. in the event the wp seal starts leaking, and coolant starts coming out the weep hole of the pump housing, just go on ebay and buy a used pump. The entire thing, housing and all ready to push into the engine, is usually $25-35
took this guys advice not long ago... just replaced my pump on my 08. Thanks man!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.