Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When u drain the coolant from the bolt plug, should the coolant "shoot" out as u rev the throttle?
I'm assuming yes, and that's the indicator that the impeller is rotating.

And if the water just drains out without "shooting" out, is that indicator impeller is busted?
Tks

·
Vendor
3,956 Posts
Depends on if the radiator cap is off or not.

Similar effect to holding your finger on a straw full of your drink - remove your finger and the water pours out, hold your finger in place and it will trickle out at best.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Water pours out fine actually...it's not slow drips and draws.
But I thought the impeller actually shoots the water out...like almost horizontally cuz it's being pushed out.
No?

If not I guess I'm all good.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
About 75 degrees here. Idle temp went up to 200 in about 5 min.
Track bike, no fan, running distilled water.

Broken impeller??

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Forgot to mention that I did accidentally leave the water in over winter and it did freeze.
Motor casing tested fine (for now) but maybe impeller shaft busted?

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
running plain water is pretty hard on a cooling system that needs glycol.
I would be running mo-cool or some kinda light ratio glycol mix at the very least.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tks turbo, i hear ya.

any feedback on whether the impeller may be busted? the temp seems to be getting unusually high, unusually fast...200 at idle within 5min!

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
not a great idea to run without coolant, even for a short period of time. As RD stated earlier, the coolant won't shoot out, but will come out faster with the rad cap off..

A couple easy ways to tell if your impeller is broke. There are just a few bolts that hold the entire water pump housing. Pull the hoses off and pull the bolts out. The housing will pull right out of the engine case. The shaft has a slot that is mated inside the engine. Look in one of the larger coolant hose passages and see if the impeller is turning inside when you turn the shaft ..
Or, with a cool engine, pull the rad cap off. Start the bike. When the t-stat opens (around 175+- F ) you will be able to see the coolant circulating in the radiator.. rev the bike a bit, and you will really notice it swirling through the rad core. If not.. well.. ya may have tried to start the bike with frozen coolant.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
i would pull the wp out as i outlined earlier, to verify if the impeller shaft broke. Then if you are lucky, the shaft didn't fall out of the housing. if it did and is in the oil pan, a telascopic magnet should fish it out. Then just buy a used water pump w/ housing on ebay for $25 or so. I always have a spare in my spares bin as the seal never fails to leak out the weep hole when you least expect. Wayyyyy easier than dissasembling the housing and trying to press in new parts.

lesson learned. Engine Ice. or at least some real coolant. Running just water is a bad idea on numerous levels.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
Doesn't wera make you run water and water wetter?

I see Yamaha now makes a race coolant

https://www.yamahapartsandaccessori...alube-prediluted-engine-coolant?b=Search&d=33
engine ice is not wera legal.. We are allowed to use it in CCS (i don't race wera ) . IF you run water only, ya really really need to remember to add anti-freeze in winter if you are in a cold climate, and FLUSH A LOT as the coolant system will rust.. yes it's aluminum, but it corrodes big time without anti-corrosion additives.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts