Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
RR|11
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Refilling the radiator after a coolant flush, and it is full after not even a whole bottle of Engine Ice (1.9L) is put in. There is still about 1" of coolant left in the bottle. Is this all that takes to fill up a 2005? I know this sounds stupid but I thought it would take more...

Searched only to find answers/how-to's on the 99-02 and 06+

·
STOP riding the BRAKES!
1,886 Posts
I ran into the samething, sad part is that i bought 2 jugs of Engine ice thinking i would use them both! :dunce I had some left over from the 1st jug, and the radiator plus the overfill, was topped off.

·
Spend ALL the monies!
1,853 Posts
yeah it doesnt take that much...

·
$4 a gal. 4 gal. a shot
933 Posts
Just pulling the drain bolt and letting it run out you only get about half the coolent out. Run distilled water through, flush, do a few more times then drain and put the engine ice in.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I just did this as well on a 03 R6. Bought two half gallons of engine ice.

Did you run it without the cap on and top it off? When I did that it took more.

I do have a question about checking for air bubbles. I hade the radiator cap off and topped it off. With the raadiator cap off I started the bike and a few bubbles came up as I watched after a little while there was no bubbles.
I then shut off the bike and then a few minutes later the coolant in the radiator went down a little bit. I started the bike back up and I saw the coolant bubbling. Am I doing something wrong.

·
RR|11
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just pulling the drain bolt and letting it run out you only get about half the coolent out. Run distilled water through, flush, do a few more times then drain and put the engine ice in.
Flushed the system with two gallons of distilled water. The water coming out was perfectly clear...

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
you are still left with some in the engine. fully dry it should take about a gallon.
the radiator alone holds just over 2 quarts.

make sure you run the engine for a few min and keep adding coolant to the radiator. this will bleed the system when the thermostat opens.

·
Parts Pimp
26,473 Posts
Hey, how are you guys disposing of the coolant you are draining? And same question for the water you added to flush?

My only option will be to bring it to the dump for disposal..

·
Premium Member
2,901 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread...but I just had one simple question. Do you really need to remove the hose to flush the whole system?

I just removed the plug/radiator cap and flushed with distilled water until it was clear. Any cons to not removing the hose? Thanks for the help in advance.

·
R6 Junkie
2,534 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread...but I just had one simple question. Do you really need to remove the hose to flush the whole system?

I just removed the plug/radiator cap and flushed with distilled water until it was clear. Any cons to not removing the hose? Thanks for the help in advance.
I got alot more old stuff to come out by removing the hose and leaning the bike back and forth, i used almost a jug and a 1/2 by doing this.

·
Got street appeal?
1,656 Posts
I used almost 2 jugs of engine ice. I flush mine with a garden hose while on stands and then use 25 lbs of compressed air to blow the remaining fluid out

1 - 12 of 12 Posts