Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Down To Ride Anytime!
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 07 R6. i noticed that my coolant reservoir level was below the low indicator. I plan on switching to an aftermarket coolant later but just dont have the time and proper research on a product right now.

My question is can i add water to the reservoir or do i have to add a coolant from the yamaha dealer?

It still has the stock coolant in there. I have not flushed it out or changed it.

Thanks in advance. i searched and couldnt find any info confirming if it was ok to add water.

·
Down To Ride Anytime!
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the quick reply.

another noob question, whats the adverse effects of adding regular hose water to the coolant?

·
Registered
55 Posts
my bike is the same way....low coolant reservoir....its been that way for a few months.....never had any problems.....but my buddy has an 03 r6 running regualr coolant from murrays...and its been fine.....i jsut added water wetter.....really did nothing

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
egb18cx said:
thanks for the quick reply.

another noob question, whats the adverse effects of adding regular hose water to the coolant?
the minerals in it. ever seen hard water deposits on shower heads, faucets etc? you don't want that stuff in your coolant. too much of it over time can clog radiators, ruin water pumps, and make thermostats stick.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
you can use hose water for filling up the overflow if you want, it won't hurt anything. Hell, I run hose water in the entire bike and it hasn't hurt anything yet, not saying its the right thing to do, but it's not a death sentence for the bike. The coolant or water wetter has anti-corrosion additives so even w/ the minerals in the hose water, it won't effect much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts