Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all yet again. I was experiencing high coolant temps before now I’ve pretty much changed or tested everything. Now I’ve got a bike that will not reach 180 till it’s completely stopped. I’ve seen running temps between 159-170 but if I’m moving it’s hard pressed to get above that. Is this normal please help. Also 04 r6

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,588 Posts
My 2017 has a 165f thermostat. In winter it never gets above 140-150 due to radiator cooling at speed.

Reactions: Hunter0128

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
will not reach 180 till it’s completely stopped. I’ve seen running temps between 159-170 but if I’m moving it’s hard pressed to get above that. Is this normal please help.
Yes that's normal depending on ambient temps.

I also have a 2nd-Gen bike. Plugs slowly fowl if it doesn't get to thermostat fully open temp for a decent portion of the ride. I can tell how clean my plugs are just by listening to idle.
(note: stock copper NGK plugs have an "anti-fowl" design which is basically just a large surface area. other plugs such as iridium aren't available with this design feature)

Past few seasons I've been partially blocking the radiator with plain brown package wrapping paper and metal tape. (can remove on a hot radiator) Lately I've been using just the metal tape, directly on the radiator. (cannot remove on a hot radiator without burning self) Never block the radiator fan.

The lower part of the radiator is the oil cooler. Unless this is significantly blocked, you'll see your temps drop quickly once you start rolling. Temps will also be slow to rise when moving. For stability, focus on blocking more of the oil cooler.

If you partially block the radiator, watch your temps at highway speeds. It can run warmer at highway RPMs.

@mordantly - I know you have a 3rd Gen but my 2nd Gen has been doing the same; has gotten gradually worse over the years, taking longer and longer to heat up at idle (let alone moving). But I'm not in Cali so we're talking temps in the 20s ~ 40s Fahrenheit. I intend to replace my thermostat sometime this Fall or late-Summer. I accidentally bought an extra. If it's compatible with yours and you want it, will mail it no charge.

Font Parallel Rectangle Circle Symmetry

Font Number Parallel Rectangle Circle
Human body Font Art Gesture Parallel

1 - 3 of 3 Posts