Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give any advice on proper cornering techniques? And then to follow up, any type of drills I can run in an empty parking lot with cones or something and goals to shoot for? I want to practice and get better, but short of just getting more comfortable on the bike when I'm cruising in canyons, I don't know how to gauge myself on how I'm progressing and I don't have anyone that I can ride with that can tell me what to work on or things I can do to improve my skill and technique. I don't have a lot of money to burn on classes and track days but I want to get better. I'm not concerned about getting a knee down as much as I am riding properly and safely.

I'm open to all ideas. Hell, if someone wants to go cruise palomar mountain or the fallbrook/temecula canyons with me every so often and give me any instruction, I'm all ears.

I want to get better, and I feel if I just keep pushing myself bit by bit, I'll eventually get in over my head and wreck my bike or seriously injure myself.

·
Banned
2,723 Posts
Get a hold of 'dirtslayer'..he's in your area, and per him---he's got mad skills...and even if he doesn't, I don't see you having a hard time getting him to blow you---one way or the other, someone's getting the knees down.

T1

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took the MSF course. I tried really hard to learn from it. I think the only thing I truly got out of it was lane position on the highway and a few "what do you do when..." when i asked the instructor between drills. I've been riding a scooter in Los Angeles for two years, so I've got a pretty good understanding of awareness on two wheels amongst cars and how to be defensive and evasive and develop the sixth sense for when a car is going to cut me off. I just stepped up to the r6 a couple months ago. I was thinking about the experienced rider course, but I haven't read too many good reviews from it. Basically what I'm looking for steps and benchmarks I can give myself to shoot for and ways to practice so that I can get to that level.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
The experienced riders course is a waste. You do the exact same drills as the basic course only on your own bike. Twist of the wrist 1 and 2 and "Sport Riding Techniques" can all be found online and will give you pointers to work to and drills to help you get there.

·
Will Race for Food
136 Posts
Take a school that is the best way to learn. +1 on Keith Code's books.

·
Jet noise in the morning
578 Posts
download twist 1 and 2 online or read proficient motorcycling 1 and 2

1 - 12 of 12 Posts