Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding my 6 for approximately 2 months and have consistently been working on my leaning in corners... Generally, how long did it take most of you to touch knee...? Also i was wondering..... when i'm leaning i get to a point where i feel as though i can't go any lower, but obviously i am able to, is there a point where you feel youve reached a limit and when that low does the bike still stand back up the same...???
*Why tip toe thru life to arrive safely at death!*

·
Registered
504 Posts
Uh... this is an odd question for me because I just got to the point where I realized I probably won't take the R6 to it's limit. Therefore the guy on a Hayabusa once told me if you ever get freaked out, just lean into more and you probably will survive (there are exceptions). But, I just got ballsy one day and said screw it, and now I don't have a problem. Needless to say, I'm still scared and most of all cautious. And I would never advise going into a curve really hard until you know what around that curve and have been on that road before...

Keep it safe... and good luck.
-Solace

·
Registered
49 Posts
This is kind of a touchy situation because you have only been riding for 2mo. No offense! This is the ultimate feeling for a sportbike rider! It's funny! You spend so much time trying to do it and as you get faster more time trying not to do it! Catch 22 I guess......So anyways, I am going to just paste a link to a reply I wrote a couple weeks ago! Hope it helps ya!!
http://www.r6-forum.com/nuke/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2009

·
Registered
46 Posts
To be truthful. The best way for you to get your cornering better is to take a a racing course. Try it on the track. I say this because it honestly all has to do with your technique and familiarity. Things you only learn with practise. Look at all the best riders and they've been riding forever. It takes time to learn the skills and yuo need someone to teach them to you.

You can ride a bike hard no matter what, but things like suspension really make a differnece once you get to that next level.

One tip from me though, try getting that knee out. It may look stupid on the road but it is a good gauge of how far you're leaned over. Try a corner twice at the same speed. One with your knees against the tank. And one with your butt over and your knee out. You'll feel that difference.

BTW, don't judge how well you're doing by whether or not you can touch knee. The fastest racers one our track don't even drag their knee. Remember the less you lean the faster you can get out of that corner, a lot has to do with how much you "hang off" the bike.

Remember ALWAYS "Go in cool, come out HOT" Don't go flying into a corner...

·
blue is always faster...
63 Posts
dragging knee

yep... lowrider has some good input. its all about technique and how you lean. whenever i go into a sharp turn, i get off the bike and have my buttcrack on the edge of the seat (tmi, sorry), but it works for me. ive only touched down on a turn once and that was by complete surprise, but it was the coolest feeling in the world. it was soo cool that i went back and did that same turn all over again. i got proof too... got two big scuff marks on my blue jeans... :mrgreen:
generally speaking though... with a good road and nice tires, you probably wont reach the bikes limits on the road and can lean it over as far as your guts will allow you to. track days are the best way to improve your skills and leaning/cornering/braking skills. theres always some crazy guys there that'll be happy to give ya pointers.
i dragged my knee with 2000 miles on my bike... after the first 4 weeks of street riding.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone..... i really appreciate the help!

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
get low to the window!!!!
to the wall
til the sweat drops down my balls
til all these bithes crawl!

skeet seet skeet

it takes time to master your skill grasshopper

·
Registered
189 Posts
you can rub a foot peg and its fine, thats why they are spring loaded :mrgreen:

just dont do what i did last week and reach for a gear in mid corner and have your shoe ripped off lol :cheers

·
Registered
281 Posts
1) go to the track...it is not worth it on the street.
2) go to a school...save your money and instead of buying mods that you will never really get full use of, and go to a school and learn the right way. There is no substitute for skill and technique.
3) don't rush it...ESPECIALLY on the street
4) don't worry about getting your knee down, it will happen eventually if you have good technique and as your speeds increase
5) have fun, be safe

I am a slow learner. i rode on the street for 10 years, never dragged a knee....never crashed either. First time at willow springs, i was dragging all over the place. Went to the CA superbike school, and have not looked back. The only thing i regret is not going to a school earlier.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
TwotheOne has good advice.
Remember, streets have oil and dirt. Very bad for tires, especially street compound tires. Once you get oil on a tire, it's there for a long long time.
Go to a track where there is no oil, and there are no cars to run over you, and no guardrails to cut you in half if you fall.

I've been roadracing for 4 years, (1 year in expert class) and I don't even attempt to drag knees on the street, unless it's going to save my ass.
It's not a sign of skill, it just proves you can hang off your bike enough to drag a knee.

Focus on being a safe, skilled rider, and save knee dragging for the track.
Just my .02 for what it's worth.

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
TexasR6 said:
TwotheOne has good advice.
Remember, streets have oil and dirt. Very bad for tires, especially street compound tires. Once you get oil on a tire, it's there for a long long time.
Go to a track where there is no oil, and there are no cars to run over you, and no guardrails to cut you in half if you fall.

I've been roadracing for 4 years, (1 year in expert class) and I don't even attempt to drag knees on the street, unless it's going to save my ass.
It's not a sign of skill, it just proves you can hang off your bike enough to drag a knee.

Focus on being a safe, skilled rider, and save knee dragging for the track.
Just my .02 for what it's worth.
hey TXr6 are u racing in the CMRA. ive been lookin into it lately, and thinkin about tryin it out next year. it would be even better if i had someone else to hang with and get advice from. :cheers

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Yea, I was racing CMRA and WERA. I'm planning on taking a trip to the track there in Henderson sometime soon. Maybe we can hook up and meet there. I'm not the best rider in the world, but I'd be happy to show you anything I can.
When I stopped racing I was on an RS125 GP bike, so I need to get the hang of a 600 again. lol

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
TexasR6 said:
Yea, I was racing CMRA and WERA. I'm planning on taking a trip to the track there in Henderson sometime soon. Maybe we can hook up and meet there. I'm not the best rider in the world, but I'd be happy to show you anything I can.
When I stopped racing I was on an RS125 GP bike, so I need to get the hang of a 600 again. lol
that would be sweet man. i live in tyler so it would basically be a quick stop on your way to henderson anyways. PM me when u know your going so i can make sure i got the day off or can get it off. :cheers

and any help in the racing thing is better then nothing

·
Registered
20 Posts
this is how i know how good i got down when you are done riding the canyons and stop for a bit look at you tires and se how for you've got them down. If you're chicken stips are big you can lay it down alot more

1 - 17 of 17 Posts