Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, this is my first problem I actually had to post and get some feedback for on my bike.

First off this morning after a 50 mile semi hard ride I cruised to a stop with a temp of 225 which I get normally fluctuating from when the fan starts at 214 since its alot of stop and go traffic. Well today I had coolant flow from the overflow tube, and it was alot, enough that I had to fill the resivor up again.

Thought maybe blown head gasket or maybe just overfilled (filled up coolant over a year ago and never had this happen) and over time the coolant just got full and flowed out. Oil is good, no signs of other liquids, exhaust is good just the normal condensation smoke in the morning.

Heres the bad,

Rode it home (in rain) and saw that smoke was coming up from my triple tree, thought it was the rain hitting the headers, but I look anyway. Bottom clutch side of the radiator I see liquid boiling on the radiator and a leak coming from what I think is a small crack in the radiator. But its leaking water. If its a crack shouldnt it be leaking coolant? Please help.

09 r6,
slip on, block off plates 17k

·
190rwhp......:eek5
10,295 Posts
How much did you put in the radiator when you filled it up? Spill any in the process? Highly doubtful you have a cracked radiator with something that new...but Ill tell you, Ive never seen 225deg on mine...220, but never 225

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
update,

yes I did spill some, but I never touched the radiator I filled up the resivor. I just went out and started her up and you are right it is not cracked. Here is what I observed.

Started her up temp at 165 I let it go up to 214 which the fans kicked in, now during the temp climb I saw the same liquid boiling out of the radiator fins, only in that area. As soon as the fans kicked on the bubling went away, I let the fan kick in 3 times and It only boiled the first time... 225 I see rarely, this exception was I was going down hill and let it engine brake in 2nd to 1st but it was only a few secs. I ususally see 225 once and awhile in 100+ degrees in stop and go traffic.

****now that I think of it maybe it was 220, I cant remember, I do know that the temp does always go down pass 210 when the fan does engage.

·
10,295 Posts
So you saw coolant bubbling out of the fins of the radiator? Thats not a good sign. But theres no more then you should be good. Kind of a coincidence that this is happening just after refilling it, prolly spilled some out and didnt notice? I dunno. Just keep an eye on it for a while and go ride that bitch...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, Im already looking at a new radiator man its expensive. But here is the thing its not coolant or at least not green or purple ( I use engine ice). its clear like water. and its only in that spot. Im hoping maybe water got kicked up in there from the rain and tire but its only in that area so it makes me skeptical its from the rain.

·
10,295 Posts
Yeah, without even looking at it my gut tells me its not cracked. I use engine ice as well, and when it leaks, you can tell its coolant. If what youre seeing is clear like water, its more than likely water that has collected there and its making its way out.

Keep an eye on it though...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thx. hopefully i wont need it. so far so good today. still curious why it over flow all of a sudden. im gonna do a flush just in case is there anything iuse to flush to make sure nothing is clogged? besides distilled water

1 - 8 of 8 Posts