Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please somebody help me out I've been searching through many different threads and I'm beginning to get more and more worried. i have a 2001 yamaha r6 with about 27k miles and i was riding home the other day from work and bike was running good until i stopped at a traffic light started getting hot up to about 213 which is not to bad considering it was a hot day but then she shut off on me started it back up after a couple of attempts. continued to keep going but it started feeling like i was loosing power kinda bogging a little bit so i pulled over to check it out and she cut off again this time i heard a sort of clank from the motor before it cut out. i checked the oil level which was a little low, coolant was good then tried to start it back up but wouldn't. at this point i thought maybe the carbs were just flooded gave it a little bit and then tried it again, finally turned over after giving her full throttle. started to ride home but cut off on me once more when i was waiting at a stop sign. when i finally made it home i pulled off the carbs to check what was going on i saw a small amount of fuel in the 4th cylinder and cleared it out and cleaned the carbs out again and readjusted the pilot screw to be 2.25 turns out before it was at 2.5 went to start her back up and now am noticing that the breather line from the crankcase is smoking when normal operating temp (about 173). now i think that might be what killed the bike when stopped basically recirculating smoke into the system and she cut out. praying its not the piston rings going to do a compression test just to make sure.

is it normal for there to be smoke coming from the crank breather?

·
My bike hates me
776 Posts
Yes that is normal for smoke to come out if the bike is close to operating temp. Its more or less just vapor i believe. As for the issue of it running, how was it running when you did get it to start again?

·
My bike hates me
776 Posts
So i would take a look at the idle circuit in your carbs which i believe are the Pilot jets...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
ok so my results after a compression test is cyl1 - 70, cyl2 - 140, cyl3 - 140, cyl4 - 135 all in psi.

from what i read if the difference is more than 15% that means theres an internal top issue. I'm not a bike mechanic by any means.

what do you guys think it could be. piston rings, valves? or something hopefully a lot easier, and is there any other test i could do to further pinpoint what the issue might be?

any insight on this issue would be very helpful.

thanks in advance

·
Rubber side down
512 Posts
If you pour a teaspoon of oil down the low cylinder and the compression rises then it's a ring sealing issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts