Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys newy here
i have just got a 06 track bike and was wondering what you guys reckon about crash knobs on tracks, i have heard alot of mixed thought, what do you guys think
thansks joel

·
Registered
3 Posts
forgive my newbness but what are crash knobs? do you mean frame sliders?

·
08 Yamaha R6
3,057 Posts
My bike is not just a track bike so mine stay on, but alot say to take them off so that if you do go down at least the bike should come out of it with out a cracked frame. Personally if I had a pure track bike I would probably still run some on it, but probably a set of woodcraft that don't stick out as far.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My bike wears her frame sliders on and off the track. If it were a pure track bike and I was palnning to race it seriously I would cut the sliders to save weight.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
I'm beginning to wonder myself, when I crashed at Putnam I had woodcraft sliders, nice easy low side, but it somehow managed to get it self upside down before it came to a stop, all I know is these gas tanks are expensive!.

·
Dragging Knee
1,604 Posts
Sliders on the track are often times up for debate. But the reason it is not such a big deal on race bikes is they have the aftermarket engine cases which are stronger than stock and sometimes have small sliders on them, Tank sliders, and aftermarket rear sets that don't fold which act a lot like sliders anyways.

Also sliders only work well when your sliding on the racing surface and not in the grass. This being said it really depends on how and where your crash happens as to whether or not they actually help you out and racers don't want to risk something that might work that could actually damage your frame if you crash on a bike that is not insured.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the replys guys,, looks like i might be taking them off, i have a set of gytr knobs and they stick out way to far cheers!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts