Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Yall,

So I crashed my R6 a little while ago and due to still owing a good amount of money on it, I am going to attempt to rebuild it and sell it. I've never rebuilt a bike but I learn by just diving in and making mistakes.

It seems like my headlights, and HUD part of my bike had been ripped off in the accident. Secondly my backseat was also ripped off. I'm really lucky that most of the damage was superficial.

Here is a picture below, does anyone have an extremely rough estimate for how much all the parts may add up to? I am going to go to basically a motorcycle pick n pull to get what I can, then buy the rest from either e bay, you guys on here, or the Yamaha parts store online.

I will post TONS of more pictures as the job goes along. Every and ANY TIPS ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Attachments

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
Can you post a smaller picture?

And what about insurance?

·
My R6 eats Ninjas.
749 Posts
Rough estimate.... i would say 2-3 grand to rebuild it. it's really hard to tell from the picture but i would say you need:

a subframe
front fairing stay
headlights
upper and lower side fairings
Front nose and headlight fairings
Upper and lower tail fairings
rear seat/cowl
Speedo
air intake sensor definitely

Possibly a rectifier?
can't tell if the forks are damaged?
maybe triple clamps?
Engine covers?
bar ends?
passenger pegs?

It could be a lot more or alot less. you gotta give us more pics and details

....it really comes down to the way you crashed and if you can get us better pictures. Were you rear-ended? Low-sided? High-sided? what? it'll help us better assess it.

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
I'm sure I could make it smaller if you want :D :D
If you owe a ton of money what about insurance?

from my toaster
If you don't have full coverage on a vehicle that you do not out-right own, you are a retard, for cases just like this.

Pay the deductable to have insurance fix it, or total it. Either way, you're not spending the ~3k out of pocket to fix your ride.

·
My R6 eats Ninjas.
749 Posts
Agreed. i would go through insurance on this one. I fixed mine out of pocket the first time and spent $1800. i went through insurance the second time and they gave me $7k for my 07 when they totaled it.

Unless you can't afford another accident on your record, it'll be cheaper in the long run. Pay $3000 now out of pocket, or have your insurance rates raised a bit, probably 3-500 a year. that's 6 years of higher rates for what you would pay out of pocket now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry I don't know how to make the picture bigger. I'll take a few more pics and upload today. I have the front stay on its way already. I have the Speedo and front headlights. I want to fix it myself for the experience honestly. I added things up on the Yamaha OEM parts store and it came out to about $1200 thank god. Might end up a little more or a little less.

I low sided it off a small embankment. Forks, Frame, almost everything is fine except the fairings, front stay, back subframe and the other parts on the back.

·
OEM +1
345 Posts
my friend had a very similar crash with his R6, which I helped work on to repair.

his bike went end over end, and destroyed everything from the seat back, and the headlights & surrounds needed to be replaced as well.

you're looking at several grand. it may not seem like you need a lot, but remember every piece of foam under a panel or rubber trim should be replaced or your bike will rattle at idle or at speeds.

from what i can see in your photos, and going off the spreadsheets I used for his repairs, your parts breakdown is gonna look something like this:

rear work:

rear bodywork lower $80
rear bodywork upper $70
tail bodywork lower $150
tail bodywork upper $100
rear frame $300
new rear seat $120
seat lock assembly $30
tailight $150 (aftermarket or OEM)
misc foam, bolts, washers, rivets $30

roughly $1,000 in repairs for the rear

front work:

headlight assembly $350
windshield $35 (aftermarket $45)
main front fairing & headlight mount $220
headlight bodywork surrounds $160 ($80 each side)

you're looking at close to $1800, and thats without taking a hard look at what else needs replacing.

also, if your helmet hit the pavement in the crash IT NEEDS TO BE REPLACED. dont risk it. any damaged riding gear will also need to be replaced.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here are a few more pics, hopefully you can click the link to take you to a larger picture. Included one of how she looked before the wreck. Still this should be a fun repair!

Attachments

·
AFM #327
15,209 Posts
how did u figure the triples or forks weren't tweaked. They may look okay but better to get those and the frame checked (GP frame does it I think)

U never answered about insurance.......

Be ready to spend ~$2k in parts and do the labor yourself or you just might as well get another bike and swap the frames, lol.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Insurance I was an idiot. Yes I know.... throw all the heat you can at me. Didn't know anything about it at the time so I bought liability. ~2k is alright with me, I'm definitely going to get the frame checked out before I do a full rebuild. If the frame is tweaked I'm going to part it off and use the "Fix- It" money to make a principle payment. Live and you learn right? Should I drag it to a shop to have them check it out for frame alignment? Or is there a way I can do it with any accuracy?

·
Weeeeeeeeeeeee
1,667 Posts
There is a lot of things that need fixing. Case covers, headers, pipes, master cylinder, levers. Has it been down before? Cuz none of the bodywork is OEM.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No, I got sick of the stock fairings and I've always wanted a burnt orange bike so I bought some fairings from Hong Kong (WORST QUALITY EVER). This was its first time down. Front Stay is almost here. Plan is to get it running and ride it to check the frame which I haven't found any damage on, then decide whether it would be more cost effective to part it out or rebuild it right and sell it. If the frame has any damage at all I'm just going to break everything down and part it out probably.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quick update! Got the chain back on it today and kicked that hoe into neutral. BAM! Started right up! =D. Got frame checked out and its good to go! Will update when parts get here. (Late march)

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
Quick update! Got the chain back on it today and kicked that hoe into neutral. BAM! Started right up! =D. Got frame checked out and its good to go! Will update when parts get here. (Late march)
Sweet bro!!!!

·
V-twins Rock
427 Posts
I bought my r6 wrecked and rebuilt it all myself. This is my second rebuild on a bike and I enjoy projects like this. Keep up the work and please get full coverage insurance this time.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts