Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Yuppie Goldberg
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a get off a while ago, and came out with a concussion :jacked

Anyway, I haven't really ridden since, and although it wasn't my first accident, was the first time I injured my head in a crash instead of [wrist, leg, arm, neck, etc.] Thoughts of quitting are coming through my mind; however, I know I probably won't, but was wondering how many of you have suffered head injuries after an accident? Just so I know I need to man up and stop being such a choir boy.

·
My R6 eats you.
7,563 Posts
Get a mouth guard and get back out there.

·
Jesus Reigns
4,398 Posts
I definetly would quite riding because of a wreck. I know its got to be hard to want to ride again, but you gotta get back up and keep doing what you love

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
you can get knocked out several ways. mostly due to your brain slamming your skull.
the other way is I think the way most sports related ones are from your jaw hitting your skull.
that's why boxers etc wear a mouth piece.

http://www.brainpads.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=66&Itemid=73

I was knocked out when I hit a car. my helmet didn't have any marks on it. my head slammed forward hard enough to give me a contusion(bruise) on my brain.

·
Just another r6'er
955 Posts
mouth guard is a great idea. Most concussions are caused by your mandible and maxilla hitting each other with a lot of force. Obviously hitting your head off the ground will do it as well, but the rubber will take a little of the impact as well.. But who knows how much a mouth guard may help.

Never had a concussion in an accident, but have had one from hockey. Not fun

·
My R6 eats you.
7,563 Posts
It may not prevent a concussion, but it will mitigate the risk. They're cheap and aren't even really noticeable once you get used to it so why not?

·
Dangerously Irish
9,550 Posts
Get a mouth guard and get back out there.
Sounds like a solid idea. Never knocked out in a crash but sure as hell have been in street fights. Fighting a guy into MMA is never a good idea.:sing

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
when i was snowboarding 4 years ago, i hit my head hard on the snow, really hurt. don't know if it was a consussion or not, but i wasn't feeling well the rest of the weekend.

haven't snowboarded since last tuesday. I'm buying a helmet this season. :)

·
Insert nonsense here
5,092 Posts
some of the ones from brain pad comes with a $12 dental warranty.
http://www.brainpads.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=150&Itemid=126
Annnnnd They sell that exact brand at Wal-Mart. I wore one last season. It feels funny at first but you get used to it. I actually took it out on my last session right before I wrecked. Fail. Luckily I didn't have any dental issues and my concussion was definitely due to me smacking my head as my helmet was visually cracked.

·
I intend to live forever.
302 Posts
I was knocked out for a few when I crashed. Didnt feel like long at all. Right into the side of a mountain, dislocated my shoulder and head first into a log... I remember everything up until the log. Remember landing and my shoulder blowing out, then sliding up the hill. Woke up at the bottom of the hill half way in the road.

Bought another bike 2 weeks later :toocool:

·
Registered
16 Posts

Anyway, I haven't really ridden since, and although it wasn't my first accident, was the first time I injured my head in a crash instead of [wrist, leg, arm, neck, etc.] Thoughts of quitting are coming through my mind; however, I know I probably won't, but was wondering how many of you have suffered head injuries after an accident? Just so I know I need to man up and stop being such a choir boy.

Sometimes its hard to shake the injury, I nearly snapped my wrist off + a concussion coming up short on a 90ft double in my motocross days. I was never the same after that, I just lost my nerve. I still like to ride dirtbikes but not like I used to.

·
Yuppie Goldberg
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the input guys. The mouth guard sounds like a good idea, and I'm sure once April comes around I'll be on the track again. Sitting around during the winter is just getting me to do crazy talk. ;p

·
Registered
11 Posts

well highsided about few month back, got slammed pretty hard got a broken collarbone and a conussion for a good month couldn't sleep had so many sleepless night and for a good month and a half had night terrier.. anyone else had that?:sing

1 - 18 of 18 Posts