Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got to a bottleneck where it's hard for me to learn on the r6 given it's power and most of all I don't wanna wreck it.

Is it true that on a 250, one can learn a lot faster and safer?
Btw I'm not selling the r6 but thinking of getting a smaller cc bike

What are some good bike suggestions. I'm thinking of ninja 250 but I have also seen people with dual sports

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Alot of people will say its easier to learn on a 250 since it is a smaller, light and not as powerful of a bike. I was riding dirt bikes since I was 6 and my first road bike was an 02 R6 at age 20 and I had no problem learning. So if you have no motorcycle back ground then yes I would say the 250 is a better bike to learn on. It will also be more comfortable as you are in more of an upright position opposed to the R6. Picking up a 250 while keeping your R6 seems to be a really good way to go as you can sell your 250 once you've gained some skill and experience and move right back to your R6.

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
Obviously, a smaller cc bike will be more suited to learning the basics. There is a reason why they use them in the MSF courses.You can learn on either of them. The smaller cc bike is just more forgiving. I had no riding experience and purchased an r6 and had no problems with it. Some people have better luck than others.

And I don't think your idea to "downgrade" to a smaller bike is crazy at all. In fact, it shows that you have a good head on your shoulders and know your limits, and I find that a very respectable trait.

·
When in doubtThrottle out
5,058 Posts
If you get a ninja 250 you can play with it on the street and there is a decent market for them as trackbikes so you could take it to a track and learn more or sell it for almost what you have in it to a track junkie to ride.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is currently my 2nd r6, I came from the first gen r6. But I find the newer r6 very aggressive and less forgiving like everyone said.

I have seen a lot of people that are FAST on the r6 therefore I know it's my skill. Just wanted to build my confident in a safe and economic manner.

Some people suggested the Suzuki drz which has a completely different riding style which I'm not sure if it helps in building my confident.

For those that came from dirt bike, how effective is dirt bike skill on sport bikes?

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
I've had 3 different R6s and the next bike I buy will be probably the ninja 300. You're not crazy.

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
Long story short, get whatever makes you feel the most confident. That will be the key to making yourself a better rider.

·
Vroom Vroom
611 Posts
I thought about downsizing to a 250 and probably will soon enough. I sat on the CBR 250 and I actually like it better. The inseam height is a bit shorter, and I feel more comfortable on it being able to get my feet flatter on the ground. I also want a 250 for those MPGs since my R6 was bought a commuter. Not a really smart move considering I can't get out of 3rd without being over the speed limit.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Having dirt bikes while growing up definitely helped when it came to changing gears and clutch control and balance when riding a street bike. But a 600cc bike is much heaver then a dirt bike and alot less forgiving, not to mention your body position. I would relate dirt biking skills transferable more to a 250 for sure as far as a more upright body position and being lighter.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Ninja 300, Ninja 500, GS 500 are all great alternatives too. Similar weight, ergos, etc. as the 250, but with just enough more umph to make riding at highway speeds not such a white-knuckle experience.

The 2nd to last bike I bought was a new R1. The last bike I bought was a Ninja 300. There's nothing wrong with stepping down in power. They're all fun to ride in their own way.

Of all those options, the Ninja 300 is the only one with fuel injection, a slipper clutch and optional ABS, so I'd highly recommend that. If you're going to track it, might want to avoid the ABS.

·
I eat my R6!
567 Posts
I learned on a Ninja 250 and it was the right decision for me, however, I couldn't go back now after having a R6...How about a Ninja 650? They are upright, more comfy, and still has plenty of pep.

·
R6 noob
49 Posts
I started with a 2009 Ninja 250. Best choice I've ever made in my short time of riding. It taught me the fundamentals. Made me feel confident. And just overall shaped me up as a better rider. If you dont feel comfortable with your skills on a 600 then there's absolutely no problem going back down to a 250.

And +1 for a Ninja 250. Good value. Extremely forgiving. And very flickable for canyon carving.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
its not the CC size. Keep the 6... get a CRF100 or TTR125. Put ~$200 worth of street tires on it and get to a parking lot or mini track. Exact same fundamentals whether its 100 or 599cc. Keep it "stock" until you out perform the part. Well maybe change the tires & clipons. :D Can you go fast with a stock muffler? Yeap. Can you go fast with stock brakes? Yeap.

·
Registered
118 Posts
well if you want to go back to the R6 your probs lose a fair bit of money. And if you already know the r6 well you will VERY QUICKLY get bored of a 250's lack of power.

I would say stick with the R6 that has better suspension, frame, everything and simply limit your throttle to 50% either manually or install or get someone to install a throttle block. Would be loads cheaper.

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
well if you want to go back to the R6 your probs lose a fair bit of money. And if you already know the r6 well you will VERY QUICKLY get bored of a 250's lack of power.

I would say stick with the R6 that has better suspension, frame, everything and simply limit your throttle to 50% either manually or install or get someone to install a throttle block. Would be loads cheaper.
Not if you take it to a track...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts