Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got my 02 r6 and was wondering what oil fiters will fit. i know its a K&N 303 but on my FZR there were about 20 other filters that would fit and i am wanting to find out for this bike to so i dont have to spend teh $14-$15 on a filter from teh bike shop each time
thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
i just got my 02 r6 and was wondering what oil fiters will fit. i know its a K&N 303 but on my FZR there were about 20 other filters that would fit and i am wanting to find out for this bike to so i dont have to spend teh $14-$15 on a filter from teh bike shop each time
thanks
Welcome to the forum Kiltman,

yeah I got tired of giving the dealer $14 for a oil filter.I use a wix filter 51358
for my bike (2001 r6) it's like $7, and most auto parts stores should have it.

I wouldn't get anything cheaper then wix or mobil 1,I've heard that the amsoil filter is like the best one you can get.I'll probably try the amsoil filter for the next oil change.

you can go to wix.com and use the filter look-up for your bike(should be the same as mine)

peace

·
Registered
603 Posts
I pay $10 for a VESRAH 4007 my bike is an 06 R6

·
Registered
15 Posts
running the factory oil filters are your best bet, i pay for them each time because they have a feature that some aftermarket filters dont have. the filters you get from the shop have an oil bypass valve, so if your filter somehow gets clogged, the oil will bypass the filter and will continue to lubricate your engine and clutch, instead of frying your engine. its cheap insurance.

·
DARC Racing
2,338 Posts
Check Hi-Flow .. They are often a bit cheeper as well..... Dealers are really gouging....
K&N can be bought for around 12 bucks from other places than a dealer.. Cost on them is under $9 bucks... so they are making good profit on them at $18..
Damn Stealerships......

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
The AMSOIL EA Series, EAOM-103 for a Yammie, is the best filter you can buy. Conservatively rated at 15 Micron Absolute. From there, I would go to a WIX, 51358.. then Mobil 1 and then Pure 1. I am not in favor of a K&N.

running the factory oil filters are your best bet, i pay for them each time because they have a feature that some aftermarket filters dont have. the filters you get from the shop have an oil bypass valve, so if your filter somehow gets clogged, the oil will bypass the filter and will continue to lubricate your engine and clutch, instead of frying your engine. its cheap insurance.
I Believe you may be thinking of an Anti-Drainback valve which is not required on some applications. Any filter for the application will have the bypass valve in them.

Also, the "OEM" Filters, go out for low bid every 3 years usually.. so my question is. Who's filter are you running this year ?

Bob Schultz

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
got me a scott's oil filter for $80, its re-usable so i never needed to buy another one, after four or five oil changes it pays for itself.

eidt: i think the yamaha filters are made with cardboard, might not be true, but after what the amsoil guy said about it being bidded out to the lowest bidder, that might be a real consideration.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
got me a scott's oil filter for $80, its re-usable so i never needed to buy another one, after four or five oil changes it pays for itself.

eidt: i think the yamaha filters are made with cardboard, might not be true, but after what the amsoil guy said about it being bidded out to the lowest bidder, that might be a real consideration.

Yep, you are right... never have to buy another spin-on.... The Scotts and similar filters have a high 35 Micron rating, you have to spend the time to clean it and the only true way to clean it is a Sonic cleaner.. cost of the chemicals, the mess to deal with every time, hazardous waste to not only dispose of but worry about getting on your skin and breathing the vapors... Not to mention the time it takes and while I don't know about you, but, my time is worth money.

So for just the cost of the Scotts filter, I can change oil for 5-7 years, not have all the hassle and have a filter that is 2.5 times better which now makes my engine last longer.

Of course, it looks cool...

Bob Schultz

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
my time is only worth about $4 an hour, ive got plenty of time, and im not an environmentalist so i dont mind dumping the solvents on the lawn.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The AMSOIL EA Series, EAOM-103 for a Yammie, is the best filter you can buy. Conservatively rated at 15 Micron Absolute. From there, I would go to a WIX, 51358.. then Mobil 1 and then Pure 1. I am not in favor of a K&N.

I Believe you may be thinking of an Anti-Drainback valve which is not required on some applications. Any filter for the application will have the bypass valve in them.

Also, the "OEM" Filters, go out for low bid every 3 years usually.. so my question is. Who's filter are you running this year ?

Bob Schultz
i got a 07 r6 and put a mobil 1 m1-108 filter on it and now it sounds like the valves are ticking really loud, i do have the proper amount of oil in btw. that the right filter?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
i got a 07 r6 and put a mobil 1 m1-108 filter on it and now it sounds like the valves are ticking really loud, i do have the proper amount of oil in btw. that the right filter?

Only you will know if you have the right amount of oil. Did you check it ?

What M 1 oil are you using ?

Bob Schultz

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
yea i check the level and its right at 3/4 in the hash marks, im using the mobil 1 4t oil

I have heard of that problem from several riders running the 4T oil.

The only Data I have available shows that it is a ver respectable oil.

Is the noise just on start up or all the time ?

Bob Schultz

·
Registered
107 Posts
seems like its 5k rpm and under and while running, i didnt know if it was from the oil filter being too restrictive or i got a bigger problem on my hands:yuk:

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
seems like its 5k rpm and under and while running, i didnt know if it was from the oil filter being too restrictive or i got a bigger problem on my hands:yuk:
If it were the filter being too restrictive, it should go into bypass. That doesn't mean there isn't a problem with the filter though.

Just to eliminate some suspect problems. I would try a WIX filter 51358, the construction is quite a bit better than the M1 filter. If that doesn't help, try another 10W-40 M/C Specific oil. At least those are inexpensive things to try.. Never can tell...

Bob Schultz

1 - 17 of 17 Posts