Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Get'n Lucky -n- Kentucky
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i made my custom angel eyes down to the T and they look great so far but i stuck a couple LED lights that i bought from radio shack in the end of them to light up the ring and as soon as it hits my 12 v battery they blow.. i can not find a 12v led light anywhere that is going to fit inside the eye of this thing... if anyone knows what kind of led light this guy uses in this video it would be greatly appreciated

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=980547339061120203

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Did you wire in a resistor on the positive side of the led? If not then that is why is it blows. If you did add a resistor re-check the formula to make sure is the correct one for the led. You should have no problem using the 5mm leds from radio shack with the correct resistor.

·
Get'n Lucky -n- Kentucky
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
resistors did work but the led isn't bright enough to shine through it like his... his LED is really really bright.. did the steps and it looks just like his does only my led isn't bright..

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
like CarGoWOT is suggesting try some brighter leds, i have also seen other how to's where they used a lower resistor than what was called for to get the leds to shine brighter you run the risk of blowing the led though.

·
PhotoChopper
2,369 Posts
He also used foil on the end and reflective tape, did you?
If so then try a different LED with a higher MCD

I'm in the process of making mine, just out of curiousity, how did you heat the rod? Set oven to 200 and let it sit for like 5 minutes, or did you preheat?
Also, did you use a redbull can to form the rod? (if your making it for your R6)
:popcorn:

Thanks

·
Get'n Lucky -n- Kentucky
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah i set mine to 300 degrees but u can tell when ur rod is melting because u will see it start to get flexible... i took a pickle jar because it was about 4 inches which looks like it would work good with my headlights (R6) and yes i used reflective tape and aluminum foil just like the video but my light wont shine through my rode..

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
The first rod I did, I did not preheat the oven. On the second rod I did preheat and there was no difference, so I don't think it matters. For me getting them to light up brightly is a pain. First of all the diameter of the rod is 5mm and the leds are 5 mm so drilling holes at the end of the rods to hold the leds did not work for me. So I used heat shrink tubing and aluminum foil to hold in place.

I have not yet tested the brightness outside or in the headlight itself but personally they don't look as clean and definitely not as bright as the ccfl tubes you can buy from tobefast.com or oznium.com.

·
Because I Can
2,325 Posts
The first rod I did, I did not preheat the oven. On the second rod I did preheat and there was no difference, so I don't think it matters. For me getting them to light up brightly is a pain. First of all the diameter of the rod is 5mm and the leds are 5 mm so drilling holes at the end of the rods to hold the leds did not work for me. So I used heat shrink tubing and aluminum foil to hold in place.

I have not yet tested the brightness outside or in the headlight itself but personally they don't look as clean and definitely not as bright as the ccfl tubes you can buy from tobefast.com or oznium.com.
I'm currently in the process of doing an HID retrofit and decided to put some halos just for the fun of it. I've been preheating the oven to 250ish and leaving them in there until they are basically like a noodle.

I'm also using a rod that is about the same size as my LED (5mm). I found that drilling a 1/8th pilot hole and then using a dremel with the 1/16th cutter bit works great. You can hollow it out to fit the LED sooooo much faster than carefully drilling.

I hear you about cleanliness and brightness. It's not as bright as I would like them to be. Thanks for that link to oznuim.com.....I wasn't sure if I wanted to use CCFL's, but for $25 I'm going to use those instead of doing the LED method. The rod+led method is just too much of a pain in the ass, but definitely works.

·
Registered
192 Posts
has anyone tried this with diffferent color led's to see how they look? i suppose it would look similar to the lite eyes ones man that video was cool i think im going to have to try that

·
Because I Can
2,325 Posts
has anyone tried this with diffferent color led's to see how they look? i suppose it would look similar to the lite eyes ones man that video was cool i think im going to have to try that
Blue (Click Here)
Red (Click Here)

I was going to use my 5mm 17,000MCD white LED's, but I'll have to find some other use for them since I just ordered the CCFL's today haha

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Yeah $25 for the 70mm ccfl tubes at Oznium is a great deal. The only down side is that you can only order them in white. For other colors there is a 50 count minimum order. But still the price is good so I am going to buy some too.

·
Because I Can
2,325 Posts
Yeah $25 for the 70mm ccfl tubes at Oznium is a great deal. The only down side is that you can only order them in white. For other colors there is a 50 count minimum order. But still the price is good so I am going to buy some too.
Screw those other people, I wanted white anyways haha. Plus white=legal so it's a win win situation:toocool: I just hope that 70mm ring fits nicely around the projectors I'm using. It'll be reallllly close.

·
Because I Can
2,325 Posts
Update:
I just got my Oznuim.com CCFL's back on Friday (yea that was 1 day shipping...now that's fast!) These things put the LED method to shame. I'd HIGHLY suggest using CCFL's. The difference is crazy:fact

·
T-1 is my Hero
0 Posts
Update:
I just got my Oznuim.com CCFL's back on Friday (yea that was 1 day shipping...now that's fast!) These things put the LED method to shame. I'd HIGHLY suggest using CCFL's. The difference is crazy:fact
Do you have any pics?

·
Because I Can
2,325 Posts
Do you have any pics?
Not as of right now. I've been working on a retrofit project and was going to take pictures at the end...but I can snap a couple tonight and post them up.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Hey, if you don't mind sharing how are you mounting your projectors in the housing? Are you using the stock reflector housing from your 08. I was going to do that but I broke my reflector while cutting it with the dremel. Now I am fabricating some mounts out of aluminum.

There is also not a lot of room in there, have you been able to get the back of the projectors to line up with the hole in the back of the headlight? I have not been able to do it without it sticking out to far. I will post pics of what I have done so far later this evening.

·
Because I Can
2,325 Posts
Hey, if you don't mind sharing how are you mounting your projectors in the housing? Are you using the stock reflector housing from your 08. I was going to do that but I broke my reflector while cutting it with the dremel. Now I am fabricating some mounts out of aluminum.

There is also not a lot of room in there, have you been able to get the back of the projectors to line up with the hole in the back of the headlight? I have not been able to do it without it sticking out to far. I will post pics of what I have done so far later this evening.
You sound like you're taking the same path as me. I removed the reflector housing and have made a mounting plate out of galvanized steel (template). I'm trying to get my hands on some 16 gauge aluminum so I can make the final mounting plate. It'll be using the stock adjusting screws as well for ease of adjustment.

I definitely agree, there is not much space in there. I'm clearing things by mere millimeters in some spots. That's what is taking the longest because I'm having measure and eyeball everything for like 20 minutes before I make one cut or hole haha.....definitely not looking forward to mounting the shroud.

I'm about 95% done with the mounting template right now (will be 100% tonight) and I've worked it so that when all is said and done the housing will look 100% stock.
- The dust cap fits as it does stock (that was my main worry).
- The bulbs are centered in the dust cap hole so it'll be easy to change bulbs (easier/quicker than stock H7's I think)
- No wires will show.
- The stock harnesses are still going to be used and not hacked up.
- I'll even be able to convert back to stock if I ever need to.
- The ballasts wires will not need to be extended and chopped up.

So if I can get the aluminum sheet here locally I should be able to get it finished up this week or this weekend.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
You sound like you're taking the same path as me. I removed the reflector housing and have made a mounting plate out of galvanized steel (template). I'm trying to get my hands on some 16 gauge aluminum so I can make the final mounting plate. It'll be using the stock adjusting screws as well for ease of adjustment.

I definitely agree, there is not much space in there. I'm clearing things by mere millimeters in some spots. That's what is taking the longest because I'm having measure and eyeball everything for like 20 minutes before I make one cut or hole haha.

I'm about 95% done with the mounting template right now (will be 100% tonight) and I've worked it so that when all is said and done the housing will look 100% stock.
- The dust cap fits as it does stock (that was my main worry).
- The bulbs are centered in the dust cap hole so it'll be easy to change bulbs (easier/quicker than stock H7's I think)
- No wires will show.
- The stock harnesses are still going to be used and not hacked up.
- I'll even be able to convert back to stock if I ever need to.
- The ballasts wires will not need to be extended and chopped up.

So if I can get the aluminum sheet here locally I should be able to get it finished up this week or this weekend.
I have the mock up for my bracket done too but in cardboard form. I just need to cut it out of aluminum now too. Home Depot and Lowes have some small aluminum sheets that may work. You should check there. I too will be using the stock adjustment screws.

I am able to get the dust cap back on but I chose not to center the bulb because I don't like the angle that it puts the projectors in. I feel you on the millimeter clearances thing, its been a pain.

I will be keeping a stock look too with the wiring and bracket but thats about it. As for the lights themselves, I am putting in HID, turn signals and strobelights. Plus the halos and I may even add an "audi look" led strip. Not sure tough, that may be too much going on.

Attached is a crude drawing of what my mounting plate looks like. The projector sits in the goldfish looking hole and held in place by brackets on the back of the plate.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts