1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
537 Posts
I would also imagine that it would heat up your leg prety good while your at a stop the exhaust gasses are gonna go out and right up to your leg it looks like.

BE4TNTU

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea its pretty loud but not that bad. It sounds pretty good for an R6 with that type of exhaust and suprisingly I dont feel any heat.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Heat..

Remember to carry a spare set of shoes, might not have any sole left! sitting at traffic lights too long might cause you problems but yeah i like it nice job!!

Joelhope

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think so but they dont make one for an R6 plus my bikes crashed so im tryin to save money where ever I can

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Not that bad. I tried running my bike around town the other day with no can just dumped where the slip-on would connect to it.

It was PAINFULLY loud not to mention it sounded like shit.

I thought about seeing if I could get a used stock header and have some one cut off the long primaries, make it a 4-1 and put a small loosely packed muffler and have it dump right there. Just don't how much it would cost or how much it would f&ck up the power curve.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got a repack kit from Yamaha and got some perferated metal and rolled it into a tube and basically made my own baffle so it's kind of like having a canister. I just figured out how to put pics on here so I'm gonna try to get a sound clip up soon

·
Registered
283 Posts
i don't like it (IMHO) these are super bikes not HD's or choppers !!!

it can't br good for ur valves , not enuff back presure...

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
phantom menace said:
i don't like it (IMHO) these are super bikes not HD's or choppers !!!

it can't br good for ur valves , not enuff back presure...
I don't understand this theory that to little back pressure is bad for the valves. It is bad for low end torque. At low speeds sinec there is a lack of a vacumm effect, I can see it affecting exhaust scavenging but not much else.

At 15,000 RPM the springs on the exhaust valve are opening and closing 7500 times a minute, 125 times a sec.

Just curious how not enough back pressure would affect the valves?

·
IQ = Post Count
1,734 Posts
The myth about open exhaust and back pressure effecting your valves is just that, a myth. The drawback to an open exhaust and your valves isn't the back pressure, it's the fact that the valves cool down too quickly and warp (this is the same with straights on a car). This may not be such an issue in warmer climates. The overall draw back to the open exhaust is the loss of torque, something the R6 can't afford to lose.

Not to mention you'd need a ready supply of earplugs...

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
I don't know if I can even buy the heat example. How hot is the combustion chamber? I don't see how the valves could cool down too quickly.

If the motor is at operating temp is stays there for HOURS even after the bike is turned off.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
No, what he's saying about the valves is this......

The easier it is for cool air to get up to the valves after you shut it off, will decrease the time the valves are reliable and will hold a good seal.

The temp changes too fast is not good on the valve!

Now as far as burning up valves without enough pressure, yes, it is possible, but even running a header will decrease that alot. Try running an engine without a header and you are sure to smoke your valves/seats etc..

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Ahh, didnt read through No Legs' post good enough.

And yes, No Legs is exactly right.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
NoLegs said:
I see where the confusion came from. I meant that the valves will cool down too quickly when the engine is cut off. I didn't mean they cool down too quickly while it is running.
Ahhh, OK. I was thinking heat to cool warping the valves.

I mean how fast do the valves go from cold to hot after the engine starts. And that doesn't seem to warp them.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts