Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
My R6 is my best friend.
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, im bored and i decided to make a cruise control for my bike because i didnt wanna spend 130 for throttlemiser. i got some aluminum and went to the shop and turned out one of these to replace my right barend. it looks kinda ugly right now but it works really good. this is the first one and before i start making more i'd take the time to measure everything exact.

With that being said, i used this on a three our ride up north and it worked perfect. held throttle at 85mph the whole time and when i did need to slow down it was easy to let off the throttle.

Pics

you put a large washer in between the throttle grip and this barend and it gets pushed by the two bolt that are threaded in the bar end. (griping the throttle where ever you leave it.) In the picture i only have one bolt but the other one would go on the other side of the barend. the center hole is for the allen that came out of the oem barend and will hold the new one on. This new barend is made on a metal lathe by myself and is made out of alumium. it weighs much less than the oem barend. i could also make the outside completely circle instead of rounded corners, as shown. maybe painted black if requested?

My question is this, would anyone be interested in me making one for their bike, and also would they be willing to pay around $25 for the barend which would also include all the bolts, (excluding the middle oem bolt) and the large washer needed for installation?

Thanks for your thoughts and time,
Chris

·
Registered
250 Posts
My question is this, would anyone be interested in me making one for their bike, and also would they be willing to pay around $25 for the barend which would also include all the bolts, (excluding the middle oem bolt) and the large washer needed for installation?
Chris
Actually, yeah. I also feel that Throttlemeister is too expensive of an option. But could you post pics, or better yet a video, of it on the bike?

·
My R6 is my best friend.
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, took some pictures of it on the bike and like i said before, i only have 1 of the 2 bolts i need but i did ride on that 3hour trip i only used one bolt and it held but i would think that 2 would hold better? lol.

Stock obviously -

custom made cruise control...(did not resize so you could view for detail...)
Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3

sorry for the camera phone pictures but you'll get the idea.

im thinking i'll paint em black or whatever color requested and probably use black metric bolts...
also, probably shorter bolts considering those seem to be to long...

Any questions or comments, pm me or email me @ [email protected]

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
<--- interested, pm me if you decide to start doing this.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i think that thing has expert function by poor design.

i can envision someone getting into serious trouble seriously quick with that thing... :jacked

·
Registered
25 Posts
i'd say shorter bolts, maybe even something with wing nut style so its easier to tighten and loosen when one doesn't want the throttle to stick

·
R-Sex
422 Posts
like some people stated above, it seems like it functions well, but the design could use a little work. mad props on attempting to come up with something though:toocool: since you have the basic concept of it down now, work on the design a little. hopefully we'll have another post in the near future from you with a new an improved one. if so, count me in on the buy as well.

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
need to work on presentation... that thing looks ghetto. but $25 for something that does that exact thing that someone else is charging over $100 for, means it'll work for me. post v.3 (if/when you get to that point) and then i might take you up on that offer.

·
R is for respect!
1,623 Posts
i think its a good idea but needs a better design

·
My R6 is my best friend.
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ppl that lazy they need a throttle lock?
well, yes im one of the laziest people i know but really when your talking about gas being over $4 and you'd rather ride 3 hours than drive a car to save some money... this would help your hand from going numb. also you can sit up or adjust your Ipod and such, as i did on the 3 hour rode trip i took only 8 hours after completing the first of these...

i think that thing has expert function by poor design.

i can envision someone getting into serious trouble seriously quick with that thing... :jacked
Safety - i was skeptical also but i rode and every time i needed to slow down, all i did was put the throttle down and it had more resistance than stock but my 4 year old cousin could probably overpower this thing with ease... your griping the rubber grip with a metal washer and not really putting a whole lot of force into it. And there is always the clutch in case of emergency's...

im in the process of making a video showing the operation and how easy it is to disengage. i thought i would paint it black and maybe add a few designs. but this is just something cheap that would do the exact same as other designs and cost about 1/5 as much...

Thanks for all the interest and i hope to post some videos and new designs before the end of the week. This is something that i have fun making and would really enjoy sharing with the community.

Thanks again,
Chris

·
R is for respect!
1,623 Posts
sounds good.keep us posted on the new design and update us with pics and your video.

·
Registered
320 Posts
ppl that lazy they need a throttle lock?
x2

csmiller18; said:
this would help your hand from going numb. also you can sit up or adjust your Ipod and such
use your left hand..

csmiller18; said:
And there is always the clutch in case of emergency's...
i dont think id pull in the clutch with my throttle stuck wide open.. if you are indeed lazy enough to need a cruise control then i would somehow come up with a little better design. i appreciate the work and everything, but i just see something ending bad really quick with that design. just my .02

·
Zombies may bite!!!!
1,182 Posts
Can I hear Goldwing???

·
Registered
250 Posts
I think it has nothing to do with being lazy. If all you do is ride around town, that's great. But it's a good hour on the highway to get to school for me, and something that lets me take my hand off for more than a couple seconds without slowing down is very welcome. I don't like holding the throttle open with my left hand in order to stretch my right. And like most others, I hope to see just a slightly more "attractive" version!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
^ thtas why i'd want one. particularly when theres no one on the hwy so theres little worry about slowing down.

as for safety, unless you panic you'll find a way to stop. engine kill, clutch, brakes. may not be the ideal method of slowing down, but it would work fine if the throttle got stuck and you werent able to de-gas it.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Is this the same way that the throttlemeister works? I'm gonna eventually need a throttle lock, but $150 is kinda steep! so this sounds promising - as long as it becomes a bit more refined.

·
My R6 is my best friend.
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well, after a little practice, i made this little guy that should be a little more attractive. Its still in the silvery aluminum color but it could be painted or just bought this color for you to do what you please with. I hope this helps and im sorry i couldnt have a video to share aswell but my friend just borrowed his dad's video camera and hopefully this weekend i'll be uploading one showing how easy it is to let the throttle off while this is still engaged and also showing how well this actually works...

I believe it looks alot better and its also smaller so it shouldnt stick out from the flow of the bike when you are using it and it wont get in the way.

Pictures -
First Picture
Second Picture
Third Picture
Fourth Picture

Thanks for Looking!
Chris

·
08 in the crate
344 Posts
What other machines do you have? A lathe would be great. You could put some reverse threads on a back piece and make the outer piece thread on making it tighter!!!! Same concept as throttlemeister.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts