Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Braaaaapp Ride till I die
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was thinking instead of spending almost $1000 for an exhaust system:thumbdown i would have the stock cat cut out, have the header pipe matched up and prof. weld a mid pipe w/sensor in place and just buy a slip on exhaust.. thats my plan.. ive seen this done on here once or twice not many and didnt see much on performance or any "issuse" with it. ANy one have any knowledge pics or links on this its much appreciated :YEA

·
I love myself...
18 Posts
No issues runs mint as. I got 106 running the stock can and headers with a midpipe. sounds evil aswell.

·
It's pronounced "Tollz"
7,760 Posts
I've got '05 headers on mine with the stock can. Essentially the same set up as what you're talking about. I like it for the most part. It's an extremely cheap way to get the "full exhaust" effect (sound, weight, ~perf.) Do it with the stock can and see if you like it. If not you can then go buy a slip on.

·
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got '05 headers on mine with the stock can. Essentially the same set up as what you're talking about. I like it for the most part. It's an extremely cheap way to get the "full exhaust" effect (sound, weight, ~perf.) Do it with the stock can and see if you like it. If not you can then go buy a slip on.
so your using 05 R6s Headers???

·
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ummmm, yes? No such thing as an '05 R6s, but if you mean 2nd gen headers, then yep. That's what I have on my '07 R6 3rd gen.
i thought the "s" model was the older body style type R6 and the 06 and up are the "v" model i thought? thats just what ive heard and been told :confused:

·
her name is Megan Fox
2,583 Posts
i thought the "s" model was the older body style type R6 and the 06 and up are the "v" model i thought? thats just what ive heard and been told :confused:
there was no other model of r6 from 03-05. so from 03 to 05 its just called an R6. if its a second gen model from 06 on its called an R6s. third gens from 06 on are R6v. and those are some nice 05 headers. :sing

·
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
there was no other model of r6 from 03-05. so from 03 to 05 its just called an R6. if its a second gen model from 06 on its called an R6s. third gens from 06 on are R6v. and those are some nice 05 headers. :sing
right on thanks for the info:secret and nice sig! :lmao i think im goin to have to get me some 05 headers then!! :bow:bow

·
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
81 Posts
Pretty much every one of these I read, the person uses the header from an 05. Would the R6s headers be the same? like from an 08 R6s?
Also what have you guys done with the 02 bung and any modifications to the flanges?

·
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
found some 09 R6s headers for 75 shipped ill let yall kno how it goes. ill take some pics along the way as well

·
2008 R6
3,671 Posts
Hmmmm, so is the best option to try to find someone parting out an 05 and get that header? How hard of a find is this? I'm guessing that it's not something you may find a ton of online.

Also, what about MJS headers? I'm really thinking about doing this as well to get rid of my CAT.

Lastly, for the AVERAGE person how difficult of an install is this? I'm thinking I may just pay someone to do it.

·
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i thought the 06 r6s and up was different?

the only difference is in the 03-04 headers and its only the part numbers. 05 and up are the same part #'s as well. Its been done on the forum with 04 headers and up headers already with some slight mods like drilling out the flange holes and shortening the pipe at the slip on end about 3/4 of an inch.

3rd-Geer

Hmmmm, so is the best option to try to find someone parting out an 05 and get that header? How hard of a find is this? I'm guessing that it's not something you may find a ton of online.
if you dont wanna spend the money for a full system then this is the way to go. you shouldnt pay more then 100$ for a mint R6s headers and can find them all day on ebay or in R6 Forum Classifieds

Also, what about MJS headers? I'm really thinking about doing this as well to get rid of my CAT.
TO much money :thumbdown and ive heard theres clearance issues with that header :thumbdown
Lastly, for the AVERAGE person how difficult of an install is this? I'm thinking I may just pay someone to do it.
If you have some basic knowledge to workin on your bike your can do it yourself minus the welding you can just go with clamps instead heres the link to the how to thread on this.

http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46645&highlight=05+header
Just read through all the pages on everybodys setups and problems to make it happen!!:YEA

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
03-05, and 06+ R6s headers are all the same.

they're not hard to find, and typically can be had for anywhere between $50-75 shipped.

this is what i wish i had done, and then i coulda spend the remaining $1k on suspension, instead of blowing $1100 on a full leo. :( live and learn.

·
2008 R6
3,671 Posts
03-05, and 06+ R6s headers are all the same.

they're not hard to find, and typically can be had for anywhere between $50-75 shipped.

this is what i wish i had done, and then i coulda spend the remaining $1k on suspension, instead of blowing $1100 on a full leo. :( live and learn.
So how can you tell if you're buying a good quality header since it's used? Are there particular things that should be looked at before purchasing? I assume things like holes etc could possibly be in them right?

·
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So how can you tell if you're buying a good quality header since it's used? Are there particular things that should be looked at before purchasing? I assume things like holes etc could possibly be in them right?

ya never buy cracked, bent or broken exhaust unless you kno someone who can fix them. Preferably try to find newer model 08 n up R6s headers with less miles on them rather then old carbonated bent up headers for a cheaper cost. just my opinion:secret

·
2008 R6
3,671 Posts
ya never buy cracked, bent or broken exhaust unless you kno someone who can fix them. Preferably try to find newer model 08 n up R6s headers with less miles on them rather then old carbonated bent up headers for a cheaper cost. just my opinion:secret
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but dosn't the 06 have the same header as the 08 (mine). I thought the trick was to find an 05.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts