Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Initial Thoughts
One of the few flaws, to me anyways, of the '03's is the mudflap/rear blinker combo. To remedy this situation, I choose a CustomLED (www.customled.com) Integrated tail kit. My chosen vendor suggested McCoy Motorsports as the outlet of choice for the purchase since they were running a special on them. I paid $179.00 plus $10 for shipping for a total of $189.99 (yes, I know, fantastic math skills! what else did you expect 6 years of college to impart upon me?). There were many other vendors out there that had similar kits but I chose this one as I had seen a animation of it somewhere and the blinker lights are offset a bit to the outside of the brake lights on their respective sides so it gives it a bit of an animated look as if the blinker is kinda of moving in that direction. Aside from that, it's also much brighter then the stock LED's. So by installing this, I could clean up the rear quite a bit and make room for my pipe as well. When I received the piece (2 days), it was quite the looker. Lots and lots of LED's, good directions and some real nice waterproof wire splicers. I couldn't wait to get it installed.
The Install
After reading through the directions once, I set about installing it. Now, one quick word. You'll need some kind of rotary tool (ala Rotozip, Dremel, etc) and a cutting wheel. I went to Home DePot and looked through their tool corral for Dremel cutting wheels. I came upon a small canister of them, about 36 of them for $5.99 that were less than an 1/8 in width (#409 wheel I believe). Then I saw a cutoff wheel pack that included the same canister, plus another one of different sizes and about 20 other sizes (2 each of those) for $9.98 so I grabbed that as you never know what other uses you might have for them... Just some shopping advice... what can I say, I'm a cheap ass.... Anyways, once you get the passenger and drivers seats off, you can unbolt the stock mudflap from the trunk and then proceed to remove the plastic pop rivets from the undertail by pushing in the center of them until they "pop" and then pull them out. Drop the undertail down and let it hang for the moment. Then remove the one allen bolt that holds the tail on right above the tail light assembly (and 2 smaller pop rivets at the drivers seat). You can now remove the tail and start disconnecting the wires. Now you can follow the directions included with the piece. The hardest part is cutting off the lense. Just be slow and steady with the cutting wheel and you'll be straight. Don't cut to far through otherwise it'll make remounting the lense a nightmare. Luckily, you can "feel" the change in the materials (lense vs. the backing plate) when you cut throught the lense. Work your way around the lense, then pry off with a flat head screw driver, but be gentle. With the supplied splicers, connections are quick and simple. The whole process probably took about an hour. I used clear silicone sealant (hi grade) to re-attach my lense. Let the lense sit up over night and then re-install.
Post-Installation
The light looks great! Cleaned up the back end so much it's unbelievable. It's also very bright. Almost has a strobe effect to it when the blinkers are on, especially with the higher flash rate due to the higher efficiency of the LED's (fronts also flash faster). What more can I say? The piece was really well built, easy instructions made for an easy install, and it looks great when it's operating. Other wise, no one would know you put it in. Just looks like you unbolted everything from the back of the bike. Now if my pivot kit would just get here!

If any one has any questions feel free to contact me!

Penfold

:jump :hump :mrgreen: :boob :drink

G

·
0 Posts
Ya, I'll post some pics when I get back from vaca in Vancouver. I also have a vid of it in action that I hope to get up on site.

G

·
0 Posts
Ya, I'll post some pics when I get back from vaca in Vancouver. I also have a vid of it in action that I hope to get up on site.

·
Registered
106 Posts
dam i wanna see ,but is it just me or is your pic not working ?? :wtf

·
Registered
995 Posts
no pen' its not workin.if u want to c the finished job with pivot kit fitted,my 'old' bike is in IMAGES,MEMBERS RIDES,page 8

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya, the link to the vid doesn't seem to be working. Just reported it to Deej so hopefully it'll be fixed. If anyone wants the vid of it in the meantime, PM me and I'll email it to you. Also have pics of my pivot kit installed as well...
this is it with the plate turned up. You can see the laser cut R6 emblem pretty clearly though..

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Question--do the leds in this thing work well... can you see them??

·
Registered
995 Posts
yes they r brighter that the standard LEDS

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BRAVO said:
yo pen.the exhaust :throwup
I know mate, I know..... Waitin to get me a job since I've been unemployed for the past month and a half before I get rid of that can. Still debating on wether not go with the Wolf or the Devil SB2 Highmount....
This is the devil piece.......

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jasamb said:
Question--do the leds in this thing work well... can you see them??
They are quite a bit brighter than the stock piece. The nice thing is, there are more red brake LED's as well as a bunch of amber turn signal ones in crammed in there. Plus with it being an LED piece, the load on the electrical system is less and it makes the flasers flash faster (say that 3x fast!) which I like because I feel it makes it more visible. I can email you the vid if you'd like.....

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I have not seen the Wolf in person yet,but I have seen the devil

Looks pimp
Sounds pimp
IS PIMP

When i get the cash I will have this pipe

Assuming I keep the bike and dont turn it into a track only bike

in that case, it will get a full Akra system.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know we are getting a bit off topic here but how was the quality on it when you saw the Devil pipe?

·
Registered
995 Posts
flashers flash fast,flaaasers fllllahs fast,falhsers falsh fcuk :!: :roll

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All-bust said:
dam i wanna see ,but is it just me or is your pic not working ?? :wtf
Hopefully it gets fixed soon. Don't want to upload another copy of it to the site and eat up bandwidth for DJ. He'll have it corrected soon.

Also, I just ordered the Custom LED flushmount for the front. White running light with amber flasher. with post a review with pics when I get them on and then have Deej upload a vid of it when it's all said and done...

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know we are getting a bit off topic here but how was the quality on it when you saw the Devil pipe?
It looked nice, the one I say was the carbon fiber one (not the SB2, the other one)

But yea the quality looked good and it sounds really good.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts