Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
xHEAVENS WEAPONx
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so tomorrow i am going to cut the cat off of my 07 R6 and install a "Y" pipe. i have heard some good things and some bad things about doing this, some people said it will mess up my motor and other people said my bike would be fine. if anyone can give me any input that would be awesome.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The only thing that you will need to do is install a PCIII so that your air/fuel mix is right, otherwise your bike will either run too rich or lean, and that will cause you some problems down the road when you fry the pistons/rings.

·
xHEAVENS WEAPONx
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only thing that you will need to do is install a PCIII so that your air/fuel mix is right, otherwise your bike will either run too rich or lean, and that will cause you some problems down the road when you fry the pistons/rings.

thanks for the input man
that kinda sucks cause i don't have 300 bucks for that, and i honestly have no idea how to use a PC III

·
Phi Phi K A
823 Posts
Okay,

First of all, you're not cutting of the "cat," you're cutting of the mid ship muffler.

Secondly, you do not need a PCIII or any other fuel management product. Save your money. I do not want to get into why you do not need it, but trust me, you will not burn any valves or rings or pinstons(dumb) or anything else that people say you will burn. It doesn't work that way. The bike's ECU will handle the change just fine. Just make sure you are running your O2 sensor.

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
...you do not need a PCIII or any other fuel management product. Save your money. I do not want to get into why you do not need it, but trust me, you will not burn any valves or rings or pinstons(dumb) or anything else that people say you will burn. It doesn't work that way. The bike's ECU will handle the change just fine. Just make sure you are running your O2 sensor.
^^^^ :werd

(although, there's nothing WRONG with running a pc3)

·
Redline.......White Light
751 Posts
Not being the idiot that starts the arguments BUT, you don't need a PC3.....TRUE.... but a pc3 adds power and WILL make the engine last longer. I am only speking of experience as for last weekend i finalized my t-tuner install and made some dyno runs. I was running 15.4:1. Not too lean but enough to cause some problems at the 25k mile mark( i knwo most of us sell it by then but just saying). I put on my pc3 and used the o2 for just reading, and it runs a lot better now, about 14.9:1. I do have an 08 so my readings may differ from others. but just my input. I was at 1500 or so feet at my friends house when we dynoed it. But to Answer the thread question NO just a midship muffler removal and y-pipe install will not hurt the engine, it is the recourse from not correcting the fuel/air. But to install it and save you money until you get your pc3, say running 2-3k miles, you will be fine, with no problems.

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
Ok, noob question... What's a Y pipe?
a y-pipe is the piece of pipe that goes between your headers (the four pipes that attach to the front of your motor to vent the exhaust out of the cylinders) and the "slip on". by "cutting the cat" you're in essence taking out the middle section of your exhaust system, and replacing it with a straight pipe that connects the headers back to the end where the slip-on goes. here's a pic.

the y-pipe is the middle section that actually looks like a y. the namer-people aren't that clever when it comes to naming things.

·
R is for respect!
1,623 Posts
correct agg2001

·
Phi Phi K A
823 Posts
Ok, so that pipe shown in the pic is what he's going to add? What's the stock pipe look like? And why do this?
You have an 03. Dont worry about it. It does not pertain to 1st and 2nd gens.

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
just noticed... you've got an '03. no CAT there buddy. you're in good shape.

that nasty CAT box that the '06 and beyond have are basically a muffler and the catalytic converter all rolled into one big, bulky, heavy ass piece of metal. taking this part off would allow the bike to breathe WAY better. better breathe, better HP, not to mention less weight is a good thing. plus it can get pretty loud, if you like that sort of thing.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Okay,

First of all, you're not cutting of the "cat," you're cutting of the mid ship muffler.

Secondly, you do not need a PCIII or any other fuel management product. Save your money. I do not want to get into why you do not need it, but trust me, you will not burn any valves or rings or pinstons(dumb) or anything else that people say you will burn. It doesn't work that way. The bike's ECU will handle the change just fine. Just make sure you are running your O2 sensor.
You think so, I really hope your running your bike with a full exhaust/high flow air filter and without the PCIII. Keep us posted on how long your motor last with the stock ECU and o2 sensor doing the job of the PCIII.:FU

·
Phi Phi K A
823 Posts
You think so, I really hope your running your bike with a full exhaust/high flow air filter and without the PCIII. Keep us posted on how long your motor last with the stock ECU and o2 sensor doing the job of the PCIII.:FU
Actually bro, I am running a full M4 exhaust, BMC race filter, and NO PCIII. Had it on there since a week after I baught it almost 2 years ago. Runs like a top. Funny you should ask though. I did have a PCIII shortly after I installed the exhaust. I did some dyno testing and found that the bike runs higher peak break horse power than it did with the PC. In fact, the only gains I saw with the PC was at about the 5-6k mark, and they weren't that uch higher, we're talking 1 horse. I have 14,000 miles on her now and she runs great, besides a few problems I have had with the stator. But, I will keep you posted Mr. Chicken Strip :roll:

If you even knew what a PCIII acutally does, you would know that you're more likely to burn valves(not pistons you idiot) with a PC than without.

·
I eat R6s... 07 R1
323 Posts
does anyone have any information on how to gut this cat?????????????
I havent really seen any stickys or how tos on this subject and im really wondering why?
is no one doing this? well hopefully ill hear something soon or ill just post the first
HOW TO on this matter

·
xHEAVENS WEAPONx
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hey Noleman
thank you for all your info man, it defiantly seems like you know what's up. so if i do this, do i need a high flow air filter to keep the air to fuel ratio closer together.
i appreciate the help man.

·
Redline.......White Light
751 Posts
noleman, you seem to be on the right track. Our Bikes have titanium valves, so, in turn it will take a lot longer to "burn" your valves up. What is your A/F? It doesn't have much to do with if you have a pc3 or not, it more is dependent on your a/f. Chemistry explains how stoich makes an engine run at its optimum reliability and power. I can venture to guess you are at about 200ft above sea level with full exhaust and intake. You should have about a 15.8-16.1 fuel ratio. Very lean. It runs like a top for you im sure, but i can guarantee that if you were to rebuild your engine around 20k, you will see white spark plugs, and wiper rings it pretty poor shape. You do what you want, i am not going to change your "experience" known to others as an opinion, but truth is in the numbers. When you get a chance, get me your A/F. Oh, and in reference to your "o2 sensor compensating" Yamaha just went througha huge lawsuit for their bikes not being emissions compliant in CA, so did power commander. Yamaha purposely limited their ECU's to only change voltages slightly to compensate for Temp changes and Elevation, not a 60% increase in air flow. But that is my .02. Not trying to be disrespectful, just tryign to help. Last thing a PC3 adds fuel, although most tunes only add enough fuel to make the mixture more lean than stock, so you were partly correct on that too, making the bike run about 14.9:1.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Two questions....maybe three

Anyone prefer a K&N over BMC? I was thinking K&N...I was looking on their website for a part number but I can't seem to find the correct filter for an 08 R6. Anyone have it off hand?

I just purchased a modified header without the cat...I'm not getting into the whole pc3 discussion...Some use the original gasket when putting the new exhaust on, my first thought was to get a fresh one...Anyone know of anything bad when using the old gasket??

·
Registered
221 Posts
not trying to threadjack...i installed my "y-pipe" and gytr slip on 4days ago...so i basically have a full exhaust with the excepetion of a header...i have the power commander III USB....i downloaded a map off their site for " leo vince full exhaust and stock or aftermarket air filter"....i have a bmc race air filter also...i know my map is not going to be dead on considering i dont really have full exhaust, only slip on and midpipe..and a bmc race air filter...but do you think my map is close enough to be safe?...thanks

1 - 20 of 63 Posts