Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
TrackDaz Dude
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Picked up the bike from Attack Performance after crashing my R6 in Round 5, I had to take a little bit to readjust myself to riding the motorbike again. My replacement leathers from ACT Racing got stuck in US Customs, so I went to my local Cyclegear and bought a Dainese suit off the rack to use for the race weekend.

I went out, we did make some changes, and I felt fine.. but the times just weren't there.. I think I qualified on Saturday AM with a 1:52.xx but in both of my races, I went slower than that.

I couldn't even tell you where I finished on Saturday's races, but I did have a good time, but I knew I was slow. Saturday evening, I had a chat about my riding with Andy Palmer. I watched some of my videos and found I probably needed to move around on the bike better, and also stop turning in early everywhere. Then the idea came up for me to ride the 250. "Dude, if you turn in early on this thing your ****ed" is I believe the exact words used.. Sunday am, I registered for the UltraLWShootout. Ari Henning who was riding this bike, prepped it for me to do a 10 minute practice session on, and we were racing the thing in Race 2.

For the Ultra Lightweight Race, I thought it would be funny to get an insanely good start by going when the board went sideways. I zig-zagged through 3-4 rows of people before the green dropped. I got into a little dice with a couple of guys, passed both of them at one point, but one of them got back by me. It was amazing how much mid-corner speed you can carry on one of those things, and its also amazing how little you'll get down the straight if you can't keep up momentum. I think I did a 2:08 something on that bike, which is near lap record pace from 2011 when 250's first started racing out there. Not too shabby and good fun.

Next race was Formula Middleweight. I got into a pretty good scrap in this race initially, and just faded. I did the whole race by myself and slowed down a little bit. Jorge Castro caught me and snaked my spot on the last lap.. Good move buddy! I think I got 7th in this race.

TrackDaz Middleweight Shootout was next. I get off pretty good, get like 4 laps in running a couple of guys down, and then the red came out. a slash of gas later, and we're back out there for a 5 lap restart. Again, scrapping.. confidence is coming back.. Next thing I know, I'm jumping curbs, and making crazy pass attempts on the outside. I started to feel like me again. I get by Baby-Z on the inside of turn 4, and then run down Austin Harness. I get by him too in Garcia Hill, and put my head down. I was all by myself the rest of the race, and finished 4th. I really tried to catch Matter there at the end, and likely would have if we had one more lap (he fried his clutch). Best laptime was back in the 1:51 range.. STOKED.. ALL SMILES.

Final race of the day was Open Shootout. What can I say.. It was a race long battle with Bill McCoy, and James Romero II. Lap after lap I'd take stabs at them after Lenny sped up and got a away. Last lap, James is kind of slow trying to block the inside. Bill gets a little caught up in it, and I go for it around the outside between 3 and 2. I get by Bill leading onto the front straight there, and beat him to the line. It was rad!

Studying vids more, training more, racing more, and will be ready to try and improve next month.

Huge thanks to Jozef over at Attack Performance for getting my bike back together for me even though he was already on fire prepping Eslick's stuff for Daytona.

Congrats to everyone who look to be locking up class championships, and especially to Bill McCoy who if everything goes his way for Round 7 could be wearing a giant #1 next season.

Looking forward to Round 7! I fully expect you all to be there!

http://youtu.be/wS7bltv5h0A

·
Meh
9,236 Posts
Ugh, I missed this weekend cause I had friends getting married in Denver. Ought to be out there for April though.

Saw some of the video on youtube from the race where your cameras died. There was one pass on Garcia Hill that was absolutely bonkers.

·
TrackDaz Dude
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There was one pass on Garcia Hill that was absolutely bonkers.
Its a pass I'm notorious for making though, I don't really feel it was bonkers.. Pretty funny, my wife thinks worse things about it.

Honestly its pretty easy.. Dude swoops to the left, and I shoot for the inside while he's waiting, and get the pass done.

He was like "dude, that was pretty crafty" afterwards.. hahaha

·
Meh
9,236 Posts
Its a pass I'm notorious for making though, I don't really feel it was bonkers.. Pretty funny, my wife thinks worse things about it.

Honestly its pretty easy.. Dude swoops to the left, and I shoot for the inside while he's waiting, and get the pass done.

He was like "dude, that was pretty crafty" afterwards.. hahaha
Yeah, I mean bonkers in a completely good way - it's just a spot that I'm rarely thinking about passing. I'm amazed at how much speed you manage to carry up the hill and still manage to get the bike to stay in nice and tight over the crest.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.